Doggy Gift Box Dissappointment

Little Gifts

Posting boxes is always expensive :(

Maybe try a 'Doggy Parcel' instead. That way you can use prepaid postal bags and it may work out cheaper? :)

Oh yes, and good on Olly's Box for their response :thumbsup:

Good point - this is something I learned just this year.

I now post packs out to clients according to their weight in post bags.

The bags are much cheaper and if there isn't anything breakable - then it a cheaper solution.

Postage is so expensive these days.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be happy to see a whole pile of Reject Shop/Discount Shop cheap stuffed toys in the box and have more of the cost go towards charity personally. Perhaps if Drewe from Olly's Box is reading this it could be taken into consideration.

The only reason I don't want expensive toys is because my guys LOVE destroying them and most are lucky to last 5 minutes. They get just as much satisfaction destroying $2 toys as they do some of the $20 ones I've purchased in the past.

Maybe Olly's Box could look into a few different types of Boxes catering to those who want more exxy toys and those who don't?

Great idea! We could possibly offer a "premium" box and a cheaper alternative. We've got a lot coming up in the new year, as we received a lot of great suggestions from people who stopped by our stall at the Sydney Dog Lovers Show, so this will be another on our list of things to do :)

Thanks for the suggestion!

Issue with these cheaper toys is that they will more than likely come from China and will probably contain toxic materials i.e. bisphenol-A (BPA) and phtalates and vinyl/PVC. This is not to say more expensive dog toys will not contain toxic materials, but more chance the cheaper ones will. I try to buy dog toys that are made from non toxic materials, but manufacturers do not make it easy to ascertain what type of materials are used in the manufacture of their dog toys. Normally the ones that are made from non toxic materials state this as a point of difference/selling point and I will always pay more for non toxic toys as having Labradors who love their toys and constantly carry them around in their mouths, I try to wherever possible seek out non toxic toys for my Labs and normally purchase these overseas.

Maybe offer a "non toxic toy" box/parcel :) Also as I do virtually all my doggie shopping online and have done for quite a few years now, I prefer to know the postage costs and have them separated out from the cost of the items, so it doesn't cause confusion as to cost of product and therefore avoids the issue of people feeling they are being ripped off (when that is not the intention) as the "invisible postage cost" is being included in the total cost.

I'd be happy to see a whole pile of Reject Shop/Discount Shop cheap stuffed toys in the box and have more of the cost go towards charity personally. Perhaps if Drewe from Olly's Box is reading this it could be taken into consideration.

The only reason I don't want expensive toys is because my guys LOVE destroying them and most are lucky to last 5 minutes. They get just as much satisfaction destroying $2 toys as they do some of the $20 ones I've purchased in the past.

Maybe Olly's Box could look into a few different types of Boxes catering to those who want more exxy toys and those who don't?

Great idea! We could possibly offer a "premium" box and a cheaper alternative. We've got a lot coming up in the new year, as we received a lot of great suggestions from people who stopped by our stall at the Sydney Dog Lovers Show, so this will be another on our list of things to do :)

Thanks for the suggestion!

Issue with these cheaper toys is that they will more than likely come from China and will probably contain toxic materials i.e. bisphenol-A (BPA) and phtalates and vinyl/PVC. This is not to say more expensive dog toys will not contain toxic materials, but more chance the cheaper ones will. I try to buy dog toys that are made from non toxic materials, but manufacturers do not make it easy to ascertain what type of materials are used in the manufacture of their dog toys. Normally the ones that are made from non toxic materials state this as a point of difference/selling point and I will always pay more for non toxic toys as having Labradors who love their toys and constantly carry them around in their mouths, I try to wherever possible seek out non toxic toys for my Labs and normally purchase these overseas.

Maybe offer a "non toxic toy" box/parcel :) Also as I do virtually all my doggie shopping online and have done for quite a few years now, I prefer to know the postage costs and have them separated out from the cost of the items, so it doesn't cause confusion as to cost of product and therefore avoids the issue of people feeling they are being ripped off (when that is not the intention) as the "invisible postage cost" is being included in the total cost.

Non-toxic toys are becoming more accessible nowadays, thankfully.

We've supplied plenty of all natural rubber toys in the past :) We're not one for cheap and nasty toys, unless customers want a 'cheaper' option, but we'd opt for safer toys over cheaper toys any day, and we'd try and educate people as to why at the same time.

Some of our previous goodies (inc. non-toxic rubber toys) can be found in our store, if you're on the hunt for something new.

We advertise postage costs in our store, it's just a little hard to do so for our box service as it depends on the customer's location; we could state a postage range if need be.

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions, and great to hear that you're an advocate of quality! :)

How is it $15 delivery if they're just up the road?

I would accept the refund.

Because they post it? That seems about right given what aust post charges. I think making these box delivery businesses work in Australia is very hard due to the distances involved. The ones that make it work are effectively logistics companies.

ETA: with boxes you are never going to get products that are 100% suitable to your dog. . The point seems to be to get a range of new things to try - some you love , some you don't. If you have destructive dogs this is even more true. If rather spend my $ on things that I know my dogs will love , but if you buy boxes you can't expect every item to suit your dog IMO.

Edited by megan_

Great customer service anyway - sometimes products just don't meet expectations but the response of the business is key. IMO this company has responded professionally which goes a long way towards building a business. Unlike many we have seen who engage in less than professional - to put it mildly - responses if someone posts something negative about their products or services here.

I feel so bad reading this for the company. Perhaps this sort of thing is more suited to someone who isn't in it for getting every cent of their money back but moreso the excitement of a dog box and supporting rescues and a small business.

Same here Donatella - and Drewe's customer service has been outstanding I thought. The "value" is more than just the product but the experience. Like English Ivy I "do" Avon. The number of (non)customers who say oh that's all a waste of money is large. The customer who orders what is a very high-priced item (to some) gets all the feel-good value out of the delivery, opening the parcel, knowing they've indulged in something out of the every-day, maybe not quite right for them but hope springs eternal - and they will re-order because that is a great feeling - not because the product did or did not live up to hopes and expectations. Okay not a perfect analogy but I think near enough.

Huh!?

That is a complete and utter waste of money.

How so English Ivy? The snowman looks gorgeous to me, love it (if mine, I'd not swap it away for the Avon Snowman which is a different purpose sure, and $60.00 batteries not included). Just now I am a tad distraught because the delivery of customers orders I should have received on Monday - by courier, usually fairly reliable - has still not pitched up by normal delivery time this Thursday morning! Tracking support negligible! Unmitigated disaster for me not meeting promised delivery to my customers and then expecting them to take the next brochure/catalogue cheerfully.

There are ups and downs in every direct selling business, and yes all work on minimum margins - we all do our level best but you can't please all the customers all the time. I still think part of the value of buying something sight-unseen by mail order is in the feel-good excitement or people wouldn't keep doing it - we would shop in person counting every cent and never taking a chance.

The customer who orders what is a very high-priced item (to some) gets all the feel-good value out of the delivery, opening the parcel, knowing they've indulged in something out of the every-day, maybe not quite right for them but hope springs eternal - and they will re-order because that is a great feeling - not because the product did or did not live up to hopes and expectations. Okay not a perfect analogy but I think near enough.

Wha? If I pay good money for something I pay it to get a (hopefully good quality) item - not for the excitement of opening a package. If a product doesn't live up to my expectations I don't go back to the company.

That said the customer service of olly's box has been nothing short of excellent.

Hey I am not my dogs. What I think they will like and what they really like don't always mesh. So technically the surprise will be all theirs.

My main issue was that you are asked about your dog when you sign up (like are they rough chewers, yes!) and I don't think the toys in my box were the best match. I'm pretty sure they will like the treats - they certainly smell tasty! And I was looking at the value of the contents and considering if I bought them from the shop would I spend $45 on them (the answer for me was no). But now I know that postage really forms one third of the overall package that changes things and yes I can see the value, even if the toys aren't quite right for my destructos. Again, this is part of why I did not accept the offer of a refund (contrary to what a couple of DOLers might still seem to think).