Horner's Syndrome

shel

Hey guys,

My goldy boy has been diagnosed with idiopathic (no known cause) Horner's Syndrome

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/horners-syndrome-in-dogs/815

When I took him to the vet a few days ago, it didn't seem to be causing him any distress. He just looked like he'd had a stroke on one side of his face :(

Today, as his bottom eyelid is drooping, his eye seems red and if not sore, irritated? (I suspect dust is collecting on the now visible wet surface of the bottom eyelid). The whites of his eye is now very red.

The vet didn't suggest any supportive treatment, but I wonder if anyone has treated this condition flushing the eye or similar?

Thanks!

:)shel

IMG_2158-e1419129464632.jpg

Bathing the eye with cooled boiled water or calendula tea to remove discharge as required will help. You can also use some of the lubricating eye drops available in any pharmacy. I most commonly use Viscotears during the day and Lacrilube or Refresh nighttime for evening. The gel base tends to be more effective than the liquiid drops or 'artificial tears'. In the absence of other conditions the redness is as you say due to collection of irritants and increased exposure so ensuring the eyes are kept lubricated can go some way to helping.

Edited by Rappie

I totally agree with the cool calendula tea, I do it frequently on occasions when Ronin has had eye discharge. I sometimes add around 8 drops of colloidal silver to the cup of cold tea as well. You can add a little natural sea salt if you wish.

I don't have experience with the condition your boy is suffering from, or any experience with the lubrication part, but as far as an eye rinse goes the above works really well.