What Breed Should I Get?

batmanforever

Ok, now, I am to find a breed, then hopefully, within a few months, start looking for a puppy. The puppy has to be a small or medium sized. And I'm thinking about a Pug or Cocker Spaniel (English). I thought of a Westie before, but I have a rabbit and am thinking of getting another, and Westie's and small animals don't mix. So, if there were any other breeds any one could suggest, that'd be great. There should at least be one person at the home at all times (not me, though I would be the primary caretaker). We have a smallish yard. We are also close to a few parks. I also have asthma, though it's not too severe. Would be able to take it for walks in the morning and evening. Which breed would you recommend?

Edited by batmanforever

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All very different breeds. I suggest you go and look at each of them - visit several breeders of each - and see what you like or don't like about each. See which, if any, you connect with most. Look at the good points and the bad points of each......yes every breed has both.

No one can tell you which breed to get you are the only one that can make that decision after due consideration of ALL the information.

Thats very little info to garner a response! :)

What do you like about Goldens, Pugs or Westies? All are very, very different.

What do you want in a dog and what can you offer a dog in terms of stimulation, feeding and companionship?

Is it just you and a partner? Do you have kids, are you planning kids in the future? There is a million questions and a million possible answers.

Have a look at these;

http://www.animalplanet.com/dog-breed-selector/

Answer the questions as honestly as you can, they're easy to manipulate to say what you want to hear if you aren't 100% honest in your answers.

I agree whole heartedly with visiting breeders or going to some dog shows. I would not recommend visiting a breeder that has puppies ready to go... it is just too hard to resist any puppy, they are all way too cute :D

Spend some time reading through the dog breeds 101 on this forum as there may be many that you hadn't previously considered that may suit your lifestyle even better than the ones on your list (which are all great BTW but vastly different)

Three very different breeds you've picked, a gundog, a terrier and a toy. What breed traits are you looking for in a dog exactly? What is important in a future pet for your situation?

I would suggest going to a show, speaking to some breeders and narrowing the field.

A word of warning, if your asthma is triggered by dog hair I'd be wary of both Goldens and Pugs, both breeds shed a lot!

How exciting!!

are you a first timer?

will dog be indoors or outdoors mostly?

do you have kids?

What activities will you & dog be doing? ("walks" don't count , as they are pretty much essential;) )

What is it you love about each breed you mentioned? Do they have anything in common you like?

Oh - and if you want a puppy who is healthy and from a family which has been well bred by an ethical and caring breeder- you may have to wait longer than the 3/4 months to get what will suit you best :)

What do you want out of your dog? A constant companion? A clown?

Do you want a dog to exercise with, or would you prefer one that can skip exercise now and then (I notice you say you can walk it "if required". Do you enjoy walking?).

What do you want in a dog and what can you offer a dog in terms of stimulation, feeding and companionship? I would like a dog that will stay at my side at most if not all most times, a friend, a companion, someone I can adore and someone I can make happy. I am able to feed it anything the particular dog requires and offer it long life companionship.

Is it just you and a partner? Do you have kids, are you planning kids in the future? There is a million questions and a million possible answers I am in senior high school and it's me and my parents.

Three very different breeds you've picked, a gundog, a terrier and a toy. What breed traits are you looking for in a dog exactly? What is important in a future pet for your situation?

I would suggest going to a show, speaking to some breeders and narrowing the field.

A word of warning, if your asthma is triggered by dog hair I'd be wary of both Goldens and Pugs, both breeds shed a lot!

It's not triggered by dog hair, although the hair may be a small factor. Not a major one though.

Pugs and GRs both drop a lot of hair, I can't imagine that would be great for your asthma.

[bWould it still be very bad if they were constantly groomed?][/b]

If they were anything like the Golden I owned it won't help enough to make a difference and the Pugs I help show never, ever stop shedding :laugh:

How exciting!!

are you a first timer? I have had a pug 3-4 years ago, but had to give it away as I was almost moving overseas. But now I am here permanently.

will dog be indoors or outdoors mostly? I would hope the dog would be indoors most of the time, and I can provide both living conditions.

What activities will you & dog be doing? ("walks" don't count , as they are pretty much essential;) ) I would like to go to parks, play fetch, chase, maybe meet and play with other dogs. And maybe, a few times a year go to the beach and the ocean.,

What is it you love about each breed you mentioned? Do they have anything in common you like? I love they provide excellent companionship and won't often leave your side. I also love how goldens are loyal and friendly and outgoing and gentle.

Oh - and if you want a puppy who is healthy and from a family which has been well bred by an ethical and caring breeder- you may have to wait longer than the 3/4 months to get what will suit you best :) Thanks! I understand, but I meant that I will start looking for a puppy in 3-4 months. :)

What do you want out of your dog? A constant companion? A clown? I would love a constant companion for sure.

Do you want a dog to exercise with, or would you prefer one that can skip exercise now and then (I notice you say you can walk it "if required". Do you enjoy walking?).

I would like a dog I can exercise with at least once a day. I do enjoy walking. :D

Pugs and GRs both drop a lot of hair, I can't imagine that would be great for your asthma.

[bWould it still be very bad if they were constantly groomed?][/b]

If they were anything like the Golden I owned it won't help enough to make a difference and the Pugs I help show never, ever stop shedding :laugh:

So, they shed a lot even after being groomed constantly? :confused:

What do you want in a dog and what can you offer a dog in terms of stimulation, feeding and companionship? I would like a dog that will stay at my side at most if not all most times, a friend, a companion, someone I can adore and someone I can make happy. I am able to feed it anything the particular dog requires and offer it long life companionship.

Is it just you and a partner? Do you have kids, are you planning kids in the future? There is a million questions and a million possible answers I am in senior high school and it's me and my parents.

Aside from these things what are some of the characteristics you want? Big or small? Shedding or non? Long coat or short? High exercise or low? Trainability?

Something else to think about if you are in high school is where will you be in the next few years? Things to consider are where you will be living, what your social life might entail, further study, work, etc. That's not to say that a dog is not right for you at this point in time but they are all things to consider when adding an animal that will probably live for around 15 years.

Aside from these things what are some of the characteristics you want? Big or small? I wouldn't mind either Shedding or non? Isn't there no such thing as a non shedding dog? I wouldn't mind if it sheds as it does not affect my asthma too much Long coat or short? Again, I wouldn't mind High exercise or low? Also, I wouldn't mind Trainability? I would like for it to be fairly trainable, such as basic commands 'sit, stay etc'. But not superior training.

Something else to think about if you are in high school is where will you be in the next few years? Things to consider are where you will be living, what your social life might entail, further study, work, etc. That's not to say that a dog is not right for you at this point in time but they are all things to consider when adding an animal that will probably live for around 15 years. I will keep that in mind, thanks for bringing it up! :thumbsup: