Students

Steve

There is obviously someone who is running a course who is requiring the students to get answers from breeders regarding their breed .

Questions take a fair bit to answer and cover Not sure if its just my breed they are targeting in their research or if there are hundreds doing the course.

I dont mind answering but - its the same questions and Im getting about 2 a week so I simply copy in what I gave the last one and tell them to come back if they dont have what they needed.

Today I get one with exact;y the same questions, same wording etc but instead of being up front about why she wanted the info she pretended to be interested in buying a puppy. I answered and was nice - just said isnt that a coincidence some students have asked exactly the same questions in the same way so here you go hope this helps but have to say it's no big deal but it bugged me just a bit. Anyone else getting this request from students? Makes me feel like Im doing their homework for them.

Edited by Steve

I believe it's a Delta course, I've seen them posting on various dog related Facebook pages asking for breeders. They need common and "uncommon" breeds from each group. From one I read (I don't particularly remember what they used), the groups weren't the ANKC ones.

Im not sure who its with but it rubs me up the wrong way when they cant just make the request without telling me its for some other purpose [wanting to buy a puppy] because they think that will make me more open to helping them.

Students should be taught how to approach people to ask for information re their assignment research. We used to include that right back at the level of primary school, where children might be set a homework task of asking someone about their experiences. It used to be called Talking Homework. And there were steps they had to follow in first explaining who had set the task & why...& asking if the person had some time to spare. If not immediately, then could they suggest a time. If they declined, it was OK & the person was thanked for considering it.

I'm surprised it's allowed actually. TAFE/certificate courses must have different rules than universities. The Ag science students here had an assignment where they were to ask farmers certain things about their crops and it actually failed to get past the ethics committee.

I'm surprised it's allowed actually. TAFE/certificate courses must have different rules than universities. The Ag science students here had an assignment where they were to ask farmers certain things about their crops and it actually failed to get past the ethics committee.

You're right that universities have strict guidelines about any level of research. They're necessary for both ethical and governance reasons. There's usually two levels of overview.... for lower risk research there's an ethics panel at the particular school level, for the higher risk items, there's the institution's ethics committee.

To give an example, here's UQ guidelines:

http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/itee-school-based-ethics-review