Vic Gov't To Investigate Ldh

Animal House

I think it is fairly obvious from my comments that I don't know any staff. If I did I would still have a lot of questions for them. There have been concerns raised about LDH for many years and many of those concerns relate to the actions or inactions of employees, not management. If you know someone who works there who has been trying to effect change my hat's off to them because I don't know how they can work somewhere like that on a day to day basis. I still believe there is evidence it is more than just a management problem and I still think they are wrong to consider their work coming under the animal welfare banner and garnering donations as such.

Edited by Little Gifts

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's likely that a lot of people who work there think they're making or will make a difference. People choose jobs in animal welfare because they want to help. Some of the stories, and some of the more tragic ones, are from former staff who did make a difference at least for a time holding dogs being pts. I wouldn't work there and I would have difficulty working in any pound or shelter, even a low kill one.

I once had a very unpleasant conversation with someone on FB who posted that well known 'letter from a shelter manager'. I got flamed for pointing out that it didn't matter how a dog got to a pound; once there the pound makes a choice: to kill or to save. Her response was typical of someone who believes because of overpopulation, dogs have to be killed. I see LDH like this: killing dogs to 'save' them and of course, the view that there are bad breeds who don't deserve to live (e.g. See Smith's view on pitbulls). It's a very old school line of thinking that is out of step with popular and sensible opinion. Until LDH changes it's thinking, it won't change at all.

Edited by Sheridan