Vic Gov't To Investigate Ldh

Animal House

[

It was Kae Norman who got these babies out of LDH and drove them to the airport so they could come to Canberra, she is an amazing woman and she has been fighting the bureaucrats for 10 years trying to get them to do something about the LDH

I remember that, with admiration, both for Kae's efforts & for the welcoming Canberra rescuers. Many sweet lives were saved. She paid a price. I also remember harsh criticism (& banning?)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't disagree that problems within the system need addressing. I just wish there wasn't as much need for, or burden on, the system.

I was listening to ABC news radio in the car this morning and heard a report that about 150 people were protesting/demonstrating at the LDH this morning. They had a short interview. It might be online somewhere.

It wasn't a demonstration, Gruf. It was a peaceful gathering to honour the animals who didn't make it over the years. It was made very clear that the shelter was not to be obstructed and staff not abused as it was a quiet time to gather in dignity and compassion.

Edited to add that there was apparently in excess of 500 people there who laid flowers and balloons in memory of the animals who were killed and all was very dignified.

Edited by stellnme

Was LDH also involved in a case last year where and old man in an agitated state surrendered his dog and when his daughters went to claim it back they found out it had already been pts? I think the man had alzhiemers and the daughters had rung while the dog was still alive only to be told it wasn't there, but when they kept looking for the dog they found out it was but had been pts after their initial phone call.

I looked but couldn't find the original story.

Yes definately long overdue, there have been so many very troubling complaints about this place for years and finally something is being done about it. :thumbsup: Also agree that the current management needs to go.

I was also just reading about this investigation on a facebook page and it included the following link to a heartwrenching article :cry: on the death from liver cancer in December 2014 of the 13 year old daughter of the Victorian Minister for Agriculture and Regional Development, Jaala Pulford - she is the Minister responsible for instigating this investigation into LDH. Terrible tragedy with her daughter dying a day after Jaala was appointed Minister for Agriculture and Regional Development :( RIP Sinead :cry:

MP Jaala Pulford lost her daughter Sinead to cancer shortly after the election

Was LDH also involved in a case last year where and old man in an agitated state surrendered his dog and when his daughters went to claim it back they found out it had already been pts? I think the man had alzhiemers and the daughters had rung while the dog was still alive only to be told it wasn't there, but when they kept looking for the dog they found out it was but had been pts after their initial phone call.

I looked but couldn't find the original story.

I remember that Little Gifts, it was a very sad story. :cry:

I think it was discussed in this thread. http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/260665-ldh-at-it-again/page__p__6606446__hl__%2Blost+%2Bdogs+%2Bhome__fromsearch__1#entry6606446

Oh my dog! All the stories on that site! So many lies! Who are the people who run and work at this place? There is something very wrong with all of them!

Oh my dog! All the stories on that site! So many lies! Who are the people who run and work at this place? There is something very wrong with all of them!

Graeme Smith

Edited by Jed

Quote is from The Age reporting on the rally, January 24.

More than 10,000 people have signed a Change.org petition calling for an inquiry into why the shelter is killing so many dogs when owners are searching for them and/or rescue groups are pleading to be able to rehome them.

Earlier this week, Chair of the Lost Dogs' Home, Dr Andrew Tribe, said the shelter would review its policies and practices with the aim of reducing the numbers of animals "put to sleep".

The Chair of the Board of the Lost Dogs' Home is given as Dr Andrew Tribe. I looked him up. To my surprise, he's a staff member of the University of Qld. On the Uni's vet school page, he's described as Senior Lecturer in Wildlife Health, Management & Behaviour

So he doesn't seem to be a resident of Victoria (?).... & does the LDH take in koalas & wombats?

Over the years, we've donated to UQ. When donations can be earmarked for certain sections, I've nominated its vet school services/research. Finding out this information.... & looking at the outcomes of the promised 'review'... will influence my decisions about any donations to UQ in the future.

Edited by mita

Not everyone who worked/works there is a horrible person ffs. Lets focus on management.

Can you honestly tell me that you could work there under that management and undertake the work as instructed and beg for donations whilst knowing most dogs were simply pts? Did you read the stories about the most simplest of processes to reunite dogs with owners not being undertaken by staff? A multi level problem exists there. Get serious. There are lots of things we no longer do as a society because we have learned how to do it better. Anyone who worked or works there who wasn't fighting for change or speaking out is part of the problem. I'm not saying they should be convicted of a crime for following orders but how dare they pretend they were part of the animal welfare continuum. It's not good enough.

More quotes from Dr Andrew Tribe, Chair of the LDH Board. From The Age Jan 22.

Sounds promising, but the question has to be asked, why such aims that'd be basic to a modern welfare shelter, have not been pursued before? Wouldn't this have been a responsibility for the Management & Board? And aren't they still the same?

It seems to me that the concerns to 'change' have been spurred on by loss of revenue ... & only then discovering the need for a 'more compassionate approach' My own view would be to change the Management & Board:

Melbourne City Council severed its 14-year relationship with the shelter in 2013, letting its $450,000 contract lapse, despite having an option for a three-year extension.

Chair of the Lost Dogs' Home, Dr Andrew Tribe, said the shelter would review its policies and practices and aim to create a "more transparent, co-operative and compassionate approach".

"We want to continue to reduce the numbers of animals put to sleep, through increasing adoption and continuing education and outreach programs to reduce abandoned and lost animals," Dr Tribe said in a statement.

He said the shelter would also appoint a dedicated rescue co-ordinator.

"We want to throw our doors open to those rescue groups who are best placed to help us. We are increasing our behavioural resources to further develop our animal assessment and rehabilitation."

Edited by mita

Can you honestly tell me that you could work there under that management and undertake the work as instructed and beg for donations whilst knowing most dogs were simply pts? Did you read the stories about the most simplest of processes to reunite dogs with owners not being undertaken by staff? A multi level problem exists there. Get serious. There are lots of things we no longer do as a society because we have learned how to do it better. Anyone who worked or works there who wasn't fighting for change or speaking out is part of the problem. I'm not saying they should be convicted of a crime for following orders but how dare they pretend they were part of the animal welfare continuum. It's not good enough.

Never a truer word, LG.

This popped up in my FB the other day and I really think it applies here.

post-1031-0-49063200-1422170605_thumb.jpg