Vet Recommendation Needed

Leah82

I'm quite happy with Boronia Veterinary Clinic. Have been going there for 40+ years and although they have got bigger I don't think their costs are too bad. They also have a 24 hour emergency (for clients) service. I have just left my 12.5 year old there after a drama this afternoon. Hopefully he will be able to be collected tomorrow all being well. Cost for x-rays, anaesthetic, supervised overnight hospitalisation, medication and consultation is estimated to be about $550.

Mountain Gate Vets on Burwood Hwy Ferntree Gully. Husband and wife practice, extremely caring and very reasonable pricing.

Used to go to Boronia vets but got sick of the upselling, I found they became very expensive (teeth clean there was over $350 but at Mt Gate only $160)and got sick of being treated like I knew nothing (I was probably handling animals personally and professionally long before most of them were born.) I will admit they have all the facilities for more complicated problems.

Ok so I've booked her into to Vermont Value Vet for tomorrow. it's an inguinal hernia and about the size of a plum. Initial vet popped it back in but it came back out pretty quickly and I think it's now a bit bigger than it was initially, not terribly surprising considering her past life as a puppy farm breeder and being part poodle Sarah is too bouncy for her own good.

So I won't say which vet I saw initially (safe to say we won't be going back there) but they quoted $1000, after pushing them I got told that was worst case scenario, they required more pushing to give me the best case scenario which was $600, I got quoted between $400 to $600 at vermont :p

• 4 weeks later...

How did you go with the new vet?

I've heard wonderful things about the Maroondah Vets and their pricing (http://mvol.com.au/maroondahvet.aspx).

I haven't gone there myself as I had just moved to a new vet (Croydon Vet Clinic) when everyone else moved to Maroondah Vet due to their reasonable costs. I am very happy at Croydon Vet Clinic, especially with the female vets but may move on when I have to for financial reasons.