Not Kennel Cough

Guest pablo

Guest pablo

I have a new choc lab puppy (8.5 weeks). Came from breeder with chronic cough, worms, ear mites and 8 undigested chicken wings in tummy (showed up on x-ray).

Vet says cough is not kennel cough nor pneumonia (as originally thought), but more likely damage from an inhaled substance. e.g. if the dog vomited from too many chicken wings he may have inhaled some of his own vomit.

Basically breeder is not giving us enough info, just saying he'll take the dog back (we've only had him a week), and vet can't give us any reassurances that he won't have a cough or ongoing health problems permanently.

He has slightly laboured breathing, coughs often and is lethargic and docile.

Can anyone help? Has anyone's else dog had something similar and if so how long did it take before the animal was well.

My dog has been on antibiotics for 6 days now.

That is so sad :rolleyes:

Try and get another vets oppinion, just to make sure.

Personally i would not have purchsed this puppy, with all the problem, but most can be fixed, you wound have to explain the coughing more, as kennel cough has like a hacking wooping cough as unfortunatly we hads the experience of having kennel cough with our dogs a couple og months ago, but before this we had a weekend where she went lethargic and did not want to move but she was over this within the next day.

I hope this helps, but unless it is if fretening, and just want to keep the pup as a pet then the choice is your, but personally at the moment i would take the pup back.

It may clear-up in time, but only time has that answer.

Palane

P.S.

Sorry if this is no help.

If the breeder is prepared to take him back - I think thats what I would do - as long as you get a full refund. Getting a puppy in this condition is just not good enough he has obviously cost you a considerable amount in vet bills already and it could well continue. But the ultimate descision is yours - goodluck with what ever you decide.

I have a new choc lab puppy (8.5 weeks). Came from breeder with chronic cough, worms, ear mites and 8 undigested chicken wings in tummy (showed up on x-ray).

I'd have this pup straight back to the breeder. No reputable breeder would sell a pup in this condition. The problems don't sound as if they will be easily fixed. If he is unable to digest food there is something more involved going on. He may have a bowel disorder and you could easily end up with a chronically ill pup and mountains of vet bills if you decide to keep him.

Sorry I can't be of any help, but I do have a related question.

If a young pup gets kennel cough, will is lungs be permenantly weakend or will they repair themselves as the dog is still young? Will the dogs growth be stunted due to its immune system putting all of its effort into mending the body? And how long does the cough normally persist for?

Sorry I can't be of any help, but I do have a related question.

Please do the poster here the courtesy of not taking the topic off track but perhaps start your own thread.

Tianakaesha, it's an ugly choice for Pablo, but it may be better in the long run to avoid possible heartache and big vet bills.

Only Pablo can make that decision I guess.

Edited by gareth

Well I only asked because it was related - the same questions could apply to Pablos dog, quite possibly Pablos dog has a strain of kennel cough, but not actual kennel cough itself. That would explain why the antibiotics didn't work - kennel cough has a viral and a bacterial component and antibiotics only attack the bacterial component after which the dog continues to cough.

Does the dog have flemy sound in its chest? Is it a mucusy, or a dry cough?

Pablo, what did the vet say about the inhaled substance? Did the xray show if it was an object or was it liquid? This is a form of pneumonia called aspiration pneumonia and is treated with antibiotics and rest.

Who fed the chicken wings and why so many at once? It may just be a case of gluttony and increased abdominal pressure has caused the pup to vomit and aspirate.

Not enough information here.

Were they digested eventually?

Jeanne, check the thread title.

Gareth, for your information I was not taking the thread off track - I will answer directly to questions below and hopefully you will see this.

He has slightly laboured breathing, coughs often and is lethargic and docile.

Can anyone help? Has anyone's else dog had something similar and if so how long did it take before the animal was well.

Yes, my friends dog has, it is still not well. The first vet said it is not kennel cough (which is what your vet has said), and prescribed antibiotics. The dog kept coughing so was taken to another vet who said it was a strain of kennel cough and the antibiotics wouldn't fix it. Different vets will pick up on different things, in this case the first vet didn't pick up on what it actually was.

Basically breeder is not giving us enough info, just saying he'll take the dog back (we've only had him a week), and vet can't give us any reassurances that he won't have a cough or ongoing health problems permanently.

Extending on that question (not taking the topic off track):

If a young pup gets kennel cough, will is lungs be permenantly weakend or will they repair themselves as the dog is still young? Will the dogs growth be stunted due to its immune system putting all of its effort into mending the body? And how long does the cough normally persist for?
Edited by Jeanne

Worms & a cough can go together .Also what did the vet say about its heart ??

For starters if the pup is 8 half weeks & you have had it a week it was sold under age if a reg breeder as no pup can leave till 8 weeks

Personally i dare say they wherent a great breeder to start off with,did you see hip/elbow & eye certifacates for the parents(should have been given copies).

It is your call but i think id take it back or pursue matters further it sounds like a problem that will be around for a awhile with expensive bills.

just think how much you have spent now in relation to cost of the dog & in a week

Edited by showdog

For starters if the pup is 8 half weeks & you have had it a week it was sold under age if a reg breeder as no pup can leave till 8 weeks

Thats the first thought that sprung to my mind too.

We really need to know what sort of cough it is, its hard to guess otherwise.

Guest pablo

:confused: To answer a few of the question about my choc lab.

The reason they can say it's not kennel cough, is that kennel cough is something that is confined to the upper respiratory track and does not show up as shadowing or congestion on the lungs.

My dog (yes, we've decided to keep him) has what the vet describes as donuts on his x-ray (tiny white donut shaped holes that show damage to brochii).

The cough is phlegmy and liquid sounding which is why I'm not to give him a cough suppresant ( he needs to be able to bring up the phlegm).

The chicken bones have now been digested and passed through and we're feeding him chicken breast and rice which the vet recommended and the occassional little pieces of red meat that my 3 kids don't eat. (Another reason he had to be kept - 3 children already very attached.)

He's definitely perked up since yesterday and is now lively in little spurts. chewing his way through toys.

The cough is worse at night and is exacerbated by picking him up (pressure on his chest perhaps?).

I really appreciate all the replies and am interested in any other suggestions you all may have. :mad

Guest pablo

Sorry forgot to add that the breeder fed him the chicken wings and yes aspiration pneumonia was the likely diagnosis.

Breeder said the dog was greedy and probably ate everyone's chicken wings - but then that's just careless - he should have supervised.

Yes worms and lung condition being linked was considered as part of the lifecycle of the worm is entering the dogs lungs where it's coughed up and re ingested etc. but the x-ray wasn't consistent with that diagnosis.

He looks sad all the time, but could that be because he's unhappy as well as sick? I hated the idea of sending him back as he would probably have been put down.

Lab puppies are gluttons, it would be easy for a piggy one to scoff more than its own dinner, and in very quick time too! I wouldn't crucify the breeder because of this.

It's easy to be critical when we all don't know the facts.

I would definately let the Breeder know I was unhappy about the worm burden and it's apparent consequences.

Let us not presume the pup would have been PTS though.

Always give the breeder the opportunity to put things right, it is easy to paint a black picture on these forums when the other party doesn't have a chance to respond.

Hope pup is on the up and up, and it is smooth sailing from here.

I am not denying that the pup is probably unwell, simply that we have no idea of the facts really, and if the pup was obviously so unwell, why take it home?

These things always turn into a shit fest and only one party gets a chance to comment. Judgements based on too many grey areas can be damaging.

No one knows how the pup ended up eating so many wings, I've had glutonny pups go on a gorge fest and eat a huge amount as a one off. The wings are not a huge issue here I don't think.

If the Breeder has done a lousy job, then Yes it stinks, but again, look, and research, if it doesn't look right , don't buy it.

Glad to hear the pup is picking up. If he is not a normal happy pup within the next few days it would be surprising.

Let him have plenty of uninterrupted rest in a warm place away from the children, and keep him warm at night especially. He will still be feeling off colour and weak for a while, especially if he has a fever.

Might be an idea to add some minced raw fruit and vegies to his diet, and maybe a children's vitamin supplement to boost his immune system

Good luck with him. You sound like a committed and caring owner.