Honey In Ibd Diet

Stitch

I'm wondering if the honey I'm using is being made with the same pollens that cause Jajes allergies since the hive is about 300m away from me. Could they somehow be attenuating the allergens somehow analogous to how vaccines are made from infectious organisms.

Jake was worse on calendula tea and all the diet modifications did little. Somehow this has been nearly miraculous and when I spoke to the vet he said he was still seeing many itchy dogs so not just the cooler weather.

Im taking it too now, might as well have in on the good stuff.

I'm off to the markets this weekend to get some raw honey for my sensitive amstaff.

I'm hoping in combination with virgin coconut oil it'll help his skin, coat and sensitive tummy a little.

Well honeycomb smushed into hot toast with lashings of butter for me as well is a bonus.

I'm wondering if the honey I'm using is being made with the same pollens that cause Jajes allergies since the hive is about 300m away from me. Could they somehow be attenuating the allergens somehow analogous to how vaccines are made from infectious organisms.

Jake was worse on calendula tea and all the diet modifications did little. Somehow this has been nearly miraculous and when I spoke to the vet he said he was still seeing many itchy dogs so not just the cooler weather.

Im taking it too now, might as well have in on the good stuff.

Yes, I've read that to treat allergies/hayfever type stuff that the honey should be local to you. Not just any honey.

For those who may remember my 13 year old senior citizen has had ongoing IBD and food allergies for many, many years so it has been an ongoing battle to feed her, keep weight on her, minimise itchiness and settle her stomach.

This dog has a history of reacting to commercial IBD diets (and I have tried them all on her) and because of an allergy to chicken (which most are based on). She gets extremely itchy even when these diets are hydrolysed. So she is a dog that has a history of bloody diarrhoea, vomiting plus she gets itches from IBD diets that are supposed to help her. A double wammy!

Over the years I have tried her on just about every commercially prepared and homemade food available. The last food she was on for quite a while was homemade kangaroo stew. She still got the rumbling gut, didn't want to eat and was so skinny it was heartbreaking...the only thing it helped with was the itching.

I had over the years also added many different types of bacteria & emzymes to her diet to help with digestion eg. Protexin, Enzyplex, yoghurt, etc. and tried an array of medications, all with no obvious improvement in her condition.

I was at my wits end when I decided to phone Hills and put her back on whatever they recommended and just let nature take its course.

Their recommendation was to feed the Z/d Ultra of a morning and the I/d cans of an evening. I had tried these previously and knew they were an imperfect fit but I had to feed something so I went with their recommendations.

Now comes the interesting part.....we keep bees and we have many hives from which we extract pure honey. Our honey is not heat treated as is the case with most commercially produced honey so it is what is called "raw" and so still has active bacteria and enzymes in it. Honey is known to be a great source of beneficial bacteria and has been used for hundreds of years to treat a vast range of medical problems including gut and skin conditions....so I decided to add some into my girls diet. It was a long shot but my thinking was that adding honey to her food couldn't hurt and might just help.

So... it is now 2 months later and I am cautiously ecstatic to say that she has put on about 2kgs, rarely has a grumbling gut,is pooing pretty much normally and is not itchy.

I didn't like to advertise the fact in case she relapsed but I wanted to put it out there for those who do have dogs with the same chronic problem that my girl had.

Maybe it can help you too?

Gee I just bought some Manuka Honey today, I read that its good for Acid Reflux your suppose to put some Manuka Honey on a piece of bread 1/2 hour before eating the higher the UMF the better....We will see how Patch does with his IBD, I'm also trying the "Meals For Mutts" Salmon & Sardine Hypoallergenic Gluten free kibble only sold at Pet Quarters or online not bad for $25 for 2.5kilos maybe its worth a try instead of the Hills Z/d as the insoluble fiber is high & there's only 0.1% soluble fiber in the Z/d..... that's why a lot of dogs with IBD don't do well on any Hills diets as they put more insoluble fiber to make poos firmer but the dogs with stomach problems can digest the harder kibbles cause they are lacking more soluble fiber..

We're a big fan of local raw honey and have been using it for digestion purposes but started also using it to build up a tolerance to local pollens for the allergic dog I have.

Sometimes you can find local raw honey in the strangest places..

I bought a jar of local stuff yesterday at a pub a couple of suburbs over from my house!

Dozer is loving the honey and I've noticed a couple of his staffy rash prone spots are looking pretty good.

Sorry for the late reply, my computer had a meltdown and I am only now up and running again.

Honey has vitamins and minerals but not in great numbers however it also contains minute amount of amino acids, protein, lipids, various enzymes and other constituents. So far efforts to measure these levels have been unsuccessful so that is a bit of an unknown as is the fact that some nectars contain as yet unknown substances with antibacterial properties.

We all know that honey is derived from the nectar of plants but this is where it becomes interesting.

Manuka honey is produced in NZ from areas that a specific type of plant is grown ie Manuka (tea tree). This plant has high antibacterial and antifungal properties.

Antibacterial and antifungal properties are also present in just about all nectar from many other plants....maybe not to such a high degree but still very effective.

In Australia they have found a similar Australian native tea tree which is just as good as those used in the production of Manuka honey but everyone knows the brand name 'Manuka' as the advertising and marketing of their product has been so successful.

We live in an area verging on huge amounts of native vegetation especially Paperbark trees so that is where our bees generally get their nectar and pollen from.

In order to find out how our or anyone else's honey compares with Manuka honey the honey would have to be sent to a lab to get tested...something we haven't done yet.

Some of the things that have been attributed to honey....and that means ALL honey are that it enhances the immune system, reduces inflammation, stimulates cell growth and has an antioxidant effect.

Heating honey to 65C extends its shelf life and stops the honey from crystalising or 'candying'. Most bee/honey hobbyists don't heat their honey so it remains "raw" or what is called "cold spun". The downside of that is that Raw honey will crystalise much quicker BUT the good thing is that all the enzymes etc. won't be killed off and will still be in the honey. Keep your honey at room temperature, not in the fridge and remember...there is absolutely nothing wrong with 'candied' honey...it just looks and spreads differently.

So, buying your honey at your local farmers markets, etc. will probably ensure that you get the 'good stuff'! Just ask the person selling it!