Weekly Agility Challenge

Mock trial was a big success :thumbsup: The sun shone all day but the ground was really wet...could have done with gumboots. Everyone liked the courses. Bit embarrassing though, Bindi & I took out two of the six prizes with clear runs in Advanced Agility & the Open Jumping :laugh: Most people DQ'd.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah...that was what was so embarrassing. To be fair, though, we hadn't run the course beforehand, only walked it a couple of times & by the time I had judged all the dogs previous, I was pretty confused as to where the course went by the time it was my turn :laugh: Someone else put the Jumping together, so didn't feel too bad about that one :)

Next Monday night's challenge is Strategic Pairs.... :) I have in blue where I would expect dog one to start & labeled red for where I would assume dog two would start. It's going to be a dandy into the weaves :laugh:

Strategic%20Pairs_zpswtovpuyv.gif

That's a lot of contact to tunnel - object discriminations and handler entanglement (getting to the other end of the tunnel) 8->9 and 12->13 and maybe , but not so many "round the back" of the jump.

I find in competition - weavers are often where the pair dog has to come and fix the mess made by the other dog.

Jump 11 then change dog to scramble 12 and come back at the dog just finishing 11 - could be interesting. Which would get to tunnel 14 first? And I'm not entirely sure if my dog would get contact on 12 if I'm trying to get around the tunnel 13. Would be interesting to try.

She's buggered her shoulder again - bolting up the narrow bit between fence and garage to harass people out on the footpath (stopped at the gate). Went in fine, came out limping. Evil hound. I have to take her out into the back yard on lead now. sigh.

That's a lot of contact to tunnel - object discriminations and handler entanglement (getting to the other end of the tunnel) 8->9 and 12->13 and maybe , but not so many "round the back" of the jump.

I find in competition - weavers are often where the pair dog has to come and fix the mess made by the other dog.

Jump 11 then change dog to scramble 12 and come back at the dog just finishing 11 - could be interesting. Which would get to tunnel 14 first? And I'm not entirely sure if my dog would get contact on 12 if I'm trying to get around the tunnel 13. Would be interesting to try.

She's buggered her shoulder again - bolting up the narrow bit between fence and garage to harass people out on the footpath (stopped at the gate). Went in fine, came out limping. Evil hound. I have to take her out into the back yard on lead now. sigh.

Of course the dog who takes 12 (red dog)will also be doing tunnel 13, & as that dog is taking 13 the other dog (blue dog) is approaching the other tunnel 14 while red dog lines up at jump 16. But I can see both dogs probably taking the 2nd tunnel. I think if I had red, then I would give it something to do, like put it back into the tunnel or back over the AF to get to 16 & pray that blue gets the weaves & we don't have to swap. This one definately needs to be videoed. AF to Tunnel...this is where you need a good left or right command :) Bad luck about your girls shoulder :(

Next Monday night's challenge is Strategic Pairs.... :) I have in blue where I would expect dog one to start & labeled red for where I would assume dog two would start. It's going to be a dandy into the weaves :laugh:

Would probably run it slightly different with our dogs. They have speed to burn and big strides so we make the most of that where possible and of course the less changes a team makes the better/faster. So dog 1 would do 1-7 and the dog that does 11 would also do 13-15 (as soon as other dog hits the colour on the a-frame they would be in the tunnel so much faster).

DC...what dog would you have do 14 & weaves?? Originally I thought the same dog that does tunnel 13, but then I thought OMG trying to catch up to the dog before it got to the weaves :eek:

I'd send to 13 from near the upright of 11 (or even send them back over 11 as dog is descending a-frame if it sets the line better) then make a bee line from upright of 11 (or closer to seesaw if I was able to send from there) to other side of DW. I would expect my dog to find 14 easily enough and I would trust them to find the weaves (but should be on the other side of the DW to help out anyway by that point). Under the current rules it doesn't matter if they miss the entry, you just reset and put them in properly, but they should have plenty of notice coming out of that tunnel to correct themselves for the entry.

When we buy a property that will fit our equipment will give it a go :)

ETA We might be able to set something up this weekend with the tunnels, jumps, weaves side of things but might have to mark out DW/ AF position with poles or something as "do not cross" markers.

Edited by DeltaCharlie

The faster the dog is travelling, the easier it becomes. A fast, long striding dog will come out of 14 straight for at least 1-2m which would give them a pretty straight on approach. I think it would be harder with a slow dog personally as they will turn towards you sooner out of the tunnel.

ETA We might be able to set something up this weekend with the tunnels, jumps, weaves side of things but might have to mark out DW/ AF position with poles or something as "do not cross" markers.

Love it :laugh: Of course you have to get your priorities right :)

Love it :laugh: Of course you have to get your priorities right :)

Hahaha, we settled on the property near Canberra so starting to look around now :) Renting is definitely a pain, especially with this many dogs!

small update - it's not her shoulder, it's a small tear in her footpad, so that's annoying but a relief - skipped tonight's agility training tho. I like DC's option 1 thru 7 look nice and flowing if I could get an arm change between 4 and 5 or send her out to 3 without being baby sat. I can stand half way between two parallel jumps and send her but she jumps the bit facing the inside - I haven't tried to get her to go round the back or do a threadle (2 -> 3) without being close to 3.

Yes...I like the option of 1 to 7 for first dog, but I would be a bit worried about the 13 to 15. I think if you had one dog on the contact of the AF while the other dog hits the tunnel, you could end up with two dogs having a ball in the one, then two tunnels. Depends on how well trained your dogs are, I guess, but I know with my two dogs running together, that is what would happen & I would be left standing at the AF with no dog. I love watching pairs, especially the Novice dogs. Pity the poor judge though when two chocolate border collies are running the course together :laugh:

Like this time I ran Pairs with Jazza :laugh: First & only time...he was a jump knocker :(

Edited by sheena

Ours have stopped contacts and don't leave until we let them so it wouldn't even occur to them to go from a frame to tunnel unless we told them to. In fact I think it would be harder for us to get the turn away to the tunnel than it would to just ask them to wait on the contact :) Ideally the other dog would already be heading into the tunnel as soon as the yellow is hit so that dog won't even be in position yet when the other dog is leaving it.

Ours have stopped contacts and don't leave until we let them so it wouldn't even occur to them to go from a frame to tunnel unless we told them to. In fact I think it would be harder for us to get the turn away to the tunnel than it would to just ask them to wait on the contact :) Ideally the other dog would already be heading into the tunnel as soon as the yellow is hit so that dog won't even be in position yet when the other dog is leaving it.

Ours have beautiful stopped contacts too ...but only in training :eek: I wouldn't trust them with this, but it will be interesting trying running it your way at training next Monday night :)

We ran this last night in class, & the intermediate (novice) class joined us to learn how to do it. We all ran it the first way I set it out, with the exception that a few of us tried it later, with dog 2(red) going all the way from 12 to 15 (weave poles) while blue dog did the final bit. First of all the Advanced group partnered up & ran it, then we all partnered up with someone from the Novice class. It worked out well & everyone had fun. I am putting together a couple of Snooker courses for next Monday :)

Edited by sheena