Breed Help Please!

Xyz

Greyhounds have a very high prey drive and will continue to chase through serious injuries (like broken hocks) or will chase with such focus that they'll hit solid objects at speed, unlike most other breeds.

I wasn't talking about a greyhound's ability to injure itself. I was talking about a dog's ability to injure stock on a farm (or the neighbours farm or wildlife in the national park...)

I've seen staffies, cattle dogs, and labs with broken legs from self inflicted injuries usually from bad landings after jumping off or over stuff.

My point is - it doesn't matter what dog they get, there could be trouble.

If your point is that you'd never let a greyhound off lead on a farm unless it was a dedicated race track with appropriate fencing - I would argue - it depends on the dog. I've seen my cousin's greyhound having an absolute ball with two whippets, a kelpie and a cattle dog in a snake infested environment around a dam with plenty of stock and roos around. The Bedlington terriers decided they weren't interested.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greyhounds have a very high prey drive and will continue to chase through serious injuries (like broken hocks) or will chase with such focus that they'll hit solid objects at speed, unlike most other breeds.

I wasn't talking about a greyhound's ability to injure itself. I was talking about a dog's ability to injure stock on a farm (or the neighbours farm or wildlife in the national park...)

Here is what you originally said:

I think the good and the bad points about greyhounds can apply to any dog that doesn't get enough training or the right training.

And I pointed out how on one particular issue, you were incorrect. It's not a matter of training, it's breed traits and whether or not a typical example of the breed is suited to that environment.

it's breed traits and whether or not a typical example of the breed is suited to that environment.

Aren't the greyhounds up for adoption - usually ones that have failed at what they were bred for. They don't chase or not fast enough...

Yes it's hard to train against instinctive drift... but not impossible and not every dog or human is "typical".

It would have to be a speshull greyhound and not "Stan" speshull.

Would be easier to work with a farm dog or a gun dog probably.

it's breed traits and whether or not a typical example of the breed is suited to that environment.

Aren't the greyhounds up for adoption - usually ones that have failed at what they were bred for. They don't chase or not fast enough...

Yes it's hard to train against instinctive drift... but not impossible and not every dog or human is "typical".

A greyhound can be not fast enough to race by a few milliseconds. "Slow" greyhounds are still incredibly fast dogs. A small percentage (around 5%) will not chase at all but these dogs are very unusual and some that won't chase cats will still show an interest in wildlife or stock.

If that instinct could be trained out of them, rehoming greyhounds would be a piece of cake but I'm yet to see any hard evidence that hundreds of years of selection for prey drive can simply be erased with some liver treats. Chasing is an incredibly rewarding behaviour and there's not much that will discourage them, including severe injury.

There are dogs out there that might be safe but finding one is a whole other matter. Some groups don't test at all, some test incorrectly, others misinterpret results. Look at what happened to Brightstar- her experience is unfortunately not that unusual.

Note to be biased, but have you considered a Weimaraner? Sounds like you are offering the perfect home for one - plenty of company, lots of room to run around and every now and then a trip with the guys in the ute. They are amazing companion dogs, easy to look after and just need the occasional bath when they get a bit stinky.

They aren't suited to sleeping outside though as they can't cope with the cold....and also need to be with their people.

As for the adopted ones being 'not fast enough', of mine, two are failures. One failed for speed. The other failed because of temperament: incredibly athletic dog, but didn't have the drive, so wouldn't compete with the others. She'd be very happy on a farm chasing rabbits. The other two includes our retired racer, Hermon, who had over 60 starts. While he's older than the others, and really isn't interested in running anymore, preferring to really focus on retirement, when he goes, he can still show the others a clean pair of heels.

I think the right greyhound might work, but the right one might be more of the 'I'll just stay here and mind the sofa or the car while you go off and trona around in all that wet/ dry dirty grass. See you when you get back." Which isn't necessarily what is wanted.

A greyhound can be not fast enough to race by a few milliseconds. "Slow" greyhounds are still incredibly fast dogs. A small percentage (around 5%) will not chase at all but these dogs are very unusual and some that won't chase cats will still show an interest in wildlife or stock.

If that instinct could be trained out of them, rehoming greyhounds would be a piece of cake but I'm yet to see any hard evidence that hundreds of years of selection for prey drive can simply be erased with some liver treats. Chasing is an incredibly rewarding behaviour and there's not much that will discourage them, including severe injury.

There are dogs out there that might be safe but finding one is a whole other matter. Some groups don't test at all, some test incorrectly, others misinterpret results. Look at what happened to Brightstar- her experience is unfortunately not that unusual.

Great to see a sensible post from a sighthound person.

I'll confess to feeling a sense of frustration with the frequency with which "rehomed greyhound" (or even Whippet) is the breed advice given for situations where containment and management of prey drive are going to be ongoing issues. I get that it is important to see as many off the track dogs in homes as possible. But they have to be suitable homes who are prepared for a sighthound. Dogs ain't just dogs where training can shape them into any behaviour you want.

How was it expressed the other day... "genetics loads the gun, environment fires the bullets". An off the track grey has been ENCOURAGED to chase. Never forget it. Ditto for any sighthound breed - most will chase and kill small animals given any opportunity.

Fine coats, and little body fat also mean that coats, good kennels or an inside bed are also necessary.

Prey drive has been bred for in all sighthounds for hundreds (in some case thousands) of years. Yes, there are sighthounds that coexist happily with small pets and poultry. The key thing to remember is that they are the in the minority. Complacency and/or lack of supervision will lead to killing and most folk with any experience in sighthound rescue know how it plays out. Even 'cat friendly' dogs often don't extend that 'friendliness' to strange cats - especially if they run. I personally know of two Whippets rehomed due to poultry killing - multiple birds on multiple occasions.

I think you can have a sighthound in the country but you can't expect it to behave like anything other than the breed it is. Most will chase. There is research to indicate that a dog in full chase mode cannot even hear you call as the brain redirects to focus on sight and movement.

Wire injuries are a real risk with the smooth sighthound breeds - also something to bear in mind. A grey chasing prey will go straight over, through or into wire fences.

I can't but think a nice bench Kelpie could be perfect for this situation. But bear in mind that any dog bred to herd or retrieve game is working using modified prey drive - prey drive that will redirect onto stock if the dog is allowed to roam.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

As much as I love greyhounds, I think in this particular situation you cannot go past a cattle dog, they just fit all the criteria and the bonus is the people have experience of the breed and know what to expect.

There are also so many of these beautiful dogs in desperate need of a home. SLK Cattle Dog Rescue has plenty of all ages and I'm sure there are other rescues. Puppies are available as well as older dogs.