Crate

I have a crate trained 2.5 year old Vizsla who I do agility with and am looking for recommendations on a light weight crate... I already have both a wire 42" from Vebo and K9+ Soft crate 42" but both are a bit big for transporting to agility, so I think I could go down a size. I take the soft crate to agility now, but it still weighs about 7kg and is bulky... I know k9+ soft crates have really good reviews on DOL, that's why I bought one initially, but I must say mine has not held up so well, the carry handle ripped off and the frame is not holding up so well anymore - but I confess during puppyhood my girl enjoyed jumping on top of it eek1.gif She no longer does and is very well behaved in the crate.

So any recommendations for a good lightweight crate maybe the 36" size for agility training?

Since the dog is now an adult, why not consider a smaller size K9 crate?

At the Royal, my Queensland vistors had their bitch in their smaller size soft crate. It weighed 5 kilos & was easy to use.

:)

The K9+ brand? I think the smallest I could go would be the 'Large' which is 6kg ... I have the XLarge Royale 2 now. The only thing stopping me getting another is price and concern of quality for money....

Since the dog is now an adult, why not consider a smaller size K9 crate?

At the Royal, my Queensland vistors had their bitch in their smaller size soft crate. It weighed 5 kilos & was easy to use.

:)

The K9+ brand? I think the smallest I could go would be the 'Large' which is 6kg ... I have the XLarge Royale 2 now. The only thing stopping me getting another is price and concern of quality for money....

The Vizsla bitch was in the 5kg crate.... just if the dog is no longer desctructive.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No sorry Sail Away.

I have 3 BonoFido crates in 3 sizes ( looks cute too lined up ) Which also have the pop up frame inside. The big one is over ten years old so got two others from a shop I found online. Great price , something like 80 or 90 dollars heaps cheaper than pet barn! ,all light in carry bag. I liked the netting on the roof and 3 sides with weather covering for roof and one side. So open on all 3 sides and roof when hot.

Edited by skip

Hi Sail_Away. :wave:

I am from K9+ Soft Dog Crates.

I'm sorry to hear your crate has suffered some damage.

In your email yesterday asking about crate size suitability, you didn't mention the damage to your crate. I would have loved the opportunity to advise that if the frame has been damaged by your dog jumping on top when he was a puppy, it is really easily and inexpensively fixed. We carry a full range of crate spare part components :)

Please feel most welcome to let us know which parts have been broken and we will quote you on having these posted out to you and instructions on how to replace them. the whole process is super easy.

Alternatively, if you wish to get the frame to us, we can repair it for you.

I am not sure how your carry handle could have come away from the crate skin, but it sounds like a very easy repair also. That said, if it is in the Carry Bag the handle wouldn't get used to becomes redundant.

I'd love to see some photos of the carry handle as we find this sort of feedback very helpful and an integral part of ensuring we always strive to improve our crates.

I hope this is helpful :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Can speak from positive experience about the spare parts service from K9+ Soft Krates. My BC did the same thing when she was younger .. and the spare parts arrived promptly, complete with really good instructions about how to fix the crate.

In your email yesterday asking about crate size suitability, you didn't mention the damage to your crate. I would have loved the opportunity to advise that if the frame has been damaged by your dog jumping on top when he was a puppy, it is really easily and inexpensively fixed. We carry a full range of crate spare part components :)

Please feel most welcome to let us know which parts have been broken and we will quote you on having these posted out to you and instructions on how to replace them. the whole process is super easy.

I am not sure how your carry handle could have come away from the crate skin, but it sounds like a very easy repair also. That said, if it is in the Carry Bag the handle wouldn't get used to becomes redundant.

I'd love to see some photos of the carry handle as we find this sort of feedback very helpful and an integral part of ensuring we always strive to improve our crates.

Hi Starkehre wave1.gif

It wasn't me that sent an email to you... shrug.gif

I know the frame &/or cover are replaceable and I thought of this however, I think the issue for me now is the size is too big & heavy to carry to agility.. also knowing my dog could fit in the next one down, makes me consider buying a completely new one around 36" might suit better. Unfortunately money is a bit tight so I don't think I can justify another from you... I do think they are the best crates around - I did lots of research before I bought mine a few years ago - but I was disappointed the carry handle ripped off - I don't have a carry bag but most of the time I actually carry it folded up by the frame.. I just happened to pick it up by the handle one day and it ripped off completely on one side. The plastic sliders that lock the frame have also split open making it difficult to erect. One night at training my dog (who is very well behaved in the crate) must have chewed or got hold of the fabric on the inside ceiling and within 10 minutes it was all coming away at the seams...? No idea what happened there...

I must say your customer service has been great though. I will keep this crate for home use and I plan on getting a second dog (male) next year so will most likely need that size at some point. Thankyou for replying smile.gif

Hi Starkehre wave1.gif

It wasn't me that sent an email to you... shrug.gif

I know the frame &/or cover are replaceable and I thought of this however, I think the issue for me now is the size is too big & heavy to carry to agility.. also knowing my dog could fit in the next one down, makes me consider buying a completely new one around 36" might suit better. Unfortunately money is a bit tight so I don't think I can justify another from you... I do think they are the best crates around - I did lots of research before I bought mine a few years ago - but I was disappointed the carry handle ripped off - I don't have a carry bag but most of the time I actually carry it folded up by the frame.. I just happened to pick it up by the handle one day and it ripped off completely on one side. The plastic sliders that lock the frame have also split open making it difficult to erect. One night at training my dog (who is very well behaved in the crate) must have chewed or got hold of the fabric on the inside ceiling and within 10 minutes it was all coming away at the seams...? No idea what happened there...

I must say your customer service has been great though. I will keep this crate for home use and I plan on getting a second dog (male) next year so will most likely need that size at some point. Thankyou for replying smile.gif

My apologies SA, I thought it was you :D

You are very welcome. Just let us know if you'd like any repairs done to your existing crate.

For soft crates I would go with K9+ and for wire I go with Vebopet.

They are the exact combo of crates I have here already laugh.gif I have a wire from Vebo! It's very good! Lol

I bought my puppy pen from Vebopet too - it's so strong! I will be buying some extra panels I think.

<insert gratuitous puppy pic>

6061389E-9FC8-4200-A152-58CC7E580A1C_zpsoiw5xh6c.jpg

They are the exact combo of crates I have here already laugh.gif I have a wire from Vebo! It's very good! Lol

I bought my puppy pen from Vebopet too - it's so strong! I will be buying some extra panels I think.

Gratuitous puppy pics always welcome. That pup's down stay is going to be interesting ROFL .. he got the upside down genes in spades, didn't he, bless him. :rofl:

vebopet have soft sided crates too and the big ones fold up flatter than the equivalent sized K9+ crate.

Unfortunately for me the vebopet soft sided are not quite as robust as the k9+ ones - first thing that happened was something heavy (not the dog - probably a person) fell on the crate and broke the slidey bit that holds the frame together at the top. I fixed that with a lot of super glue and cable ties. And designated it the home crate - where evil hound dug through the bottom of it chasing the bob a lot around in it.

Because it was flatter, it did fit in the top shelf of my car luggage cage tho - which none of the k9+ ones do. It also weighed a lot less.

So you'd be sacrificing some durability but you'd get a lighter crate that fits in a smaller space if you get the equivalent sized vebo crate soft sided. It doesn't say how much they weigh but I'd guess about half the k9+ weight. We did use that crate out and about for a couple of years, and it lasted a year or so under bob a lot abuse... Would not be good for a crate chewer tho.

http://www.vebopet.com.au/dog/dog-crate-cage/collapsible-fabric-pet-carrier-crate-7-sizes.html

I also don't think my dog would stay in an open top pen given she can jump out and she knows it. There are other dogs that come to agility and stay in their pens. So I guess it's possible that an agility dog might stay in one. But sometimes they jump out.

Gratuitous puppy pics always welcome. That pup's down stay is going to be interesting ROFL .. he got the upside down genes in spades, didn't he, bless him. :rofl:

Oh stop! Soooo cute!!!! smile.gif

vebopet have soft sided crates too and the big ones fold up flatter than the equivalent sized K9+ crate.

Unfortunately for me the vebopet soft sided are not quite as robust as the k9+ ones - first thing that happened was something heavy (not the dog - probably a person) fell on the crate and broke the slidey bit that holds the frame together at the top. I fixed that with a lot of super glue and cable ties. And designated it the home crate - where evil hound dug through the bottom of it chasing the bob a lot around in it.

Because it was flatter, it did fit in the top shelf of my car luggage cage tho - which none of the k9+ ones do. It also weighed a lot less.

So you'd be sacrificing some durability but you'd get a lighter crate that fits in a smaller space if you get the equivalent sized vebo crate soft sided. It doesn't say how much they weigh but I'd guess about half the k9+ weight. We did use that crate out and about for a couple of years, and it lasted a year or so under bob a lot abuse... Would not be good for a crate chewer tho.

http://www.vebopet.c...te-7-sizes.html

I also don't think my dog would stay in an open top pen given she can jump out and she knows it. There are other dogs that come to agility and stay in their pens. So I guess it's possible that an agility dog might stay in one. But sometimes they jump out.

The vebo soft crates look like the same ones advertised on crazy sales or catchoftheday... or similar? From what I read they are only about 3.5kg so yes half weight of K9+ although I guess that means less sturdy.. but for a dog that just lays down when waiting around at agility I don't think it matters how 'sturdy' it is...? I do like the material flaps that come down the sides with K9+ and that is why I thought the Puppy Power ones on Ebay looked good... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PUPPY-POWER-PORTABLE-PET-HOME-SOFT-CRATE-COLLAPSIBLE-DOG-KENNEL-LARGE-91CM-/201334809188?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2ee07d6264

I just used old sheets to cover up barking dog in crate when I only had the vebo pet one.

But I do love the k9+ caprice that I have now. But it does weigh more and doesn't fit conveniently on that top shelf in my car luggage rack. And definitely more sturdy.

So it depends what you want and for what you want it.