Here We Go Again...

So, my darling boy is worrying me again...

Nixon spewed last night before dinner - some bile and a big wad of grass. He seemed ok. We waited a while then gave him some dinner and seemed fine. No vomiting that we could tell.

This morning he's just vomited up all his breakfast, about 20mins after eating. Undigested kibble. He just re-ate the small pile, so will see how that goes I guess...

He still seems fairly perky otherwise.

Just debating whether to try to see a vet this morning before they close for the weekend, or wait and see.

If he seemed more distressed I'd just go, but undecided at the moment.

Aliwake if there is any possibility of ongoing issues following the grape episode it might be best to drop by the vet or at least call and discuss. It's probably nothing but a quick trip to the vet this morning will be better than a rush to ER in the middle of the night when your mind is playing tricks on you.

Hopefully it's nothing!

Thanks Gruf, I called the vet and mentioned the grapes. I have a tentative booking for later this morning, and they said we can cancel if needed. I've just fed him a bit more food to see if he can keep it down, so will wait and see! I honestly don't see how it could be grape related, but I can't help being paranoid!

Thanks Pers, my thought is a blockage too, but he doesn't really eat weird things, apart from sticks. He's definitely not a destroyer... Maybe it's just a bug.

Just bad timing - my mum is visiting today and I had things planned to keep her from stressing me out. I guess she's probably coming to the vet with me now!

my rule to follow if a dog is vomiting is NO food for 24 hrs - esp if it is undigested food coming back .... this gives everything a rest and won't hurt a dog normally ... Hope he's ok .

Totally agree with Persephone here. I can understand how you want to check that he can keep something down, but you are just adding to whatever discomfort is already there.

Let him settle.

Hopefully nothing serious and just a bit of feeling not so good.

I went to see the vet with my dog after she was returned to me covered in her own poop and with nappy rash underneath from 4 days at the boarding kennels (not going there again).

He recommended - for the poop explosion...

a diet high in pumpkin. Ie make at least 1/3 of her food to be pumpkin until the poop is normal again.

So I made pumpkin + sweet potato + chicken thigh fillet chopped and some water - and added cooked brown rice...

and she had to share her dinner with me. :)

she was so badly scoured out - that we still haven't had a decent poop since Friday.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

Hey guys, sorry for not updating earlier - was a very draining weekend hanging out with my Mum :)

I ended up not taking him to the vet - his behaviour was very perky and my husband thought I was being ridiculous. If he was even a little bit lethargic I would have gone anyway, but in the end he was ok. I took your advice and fasted him saturday night though. He did a little dry gagging saturday night (after not doing anything untoward all day!) and I was starting think maybe it was a cough?! Sunday he was absolutely fine all day though. He ate ok - no spewing and normal poos, so I think it was just a bug.

Thanks again for listening, as always!!

Oh god MRB - you must have been irate with that kennel!!! Hope she's doing better today.