Cleft Palate

jfletcher

How can you blame a breeder when puppy buyers won't return a puppy for a refund or a replacement ?

You can't have it both ways.

Shame on any breeder who knowingly sells a puppy with an issue.

In this case the new owner should cut their losses and return the pup to the breeder for a full refund and look elsewhere for a puppy that is in good health and has had the best start to life. It doesn't guarantee things won't go wrong, as illness and injury happen to all animals but at least they aren't pushing it up hill from the get go.

The breeder didn't offer a replacement or refund from what I gather.

I dont understand why anyone would knowingly pick the runty puppy with heavy and congested breathing. I will never understand why anyone would purposefully purchase a puppy that obviously isnt 100% upon collection. Call me crazy but I want to chose what appears to be a healthy robust puppy with no obvious problems.

IMHO a decent breeder would have at the very least noticed that the puppy was runty with heavy congested breathing and held it back for purchase until it was healthier and more robust.

I think the breeder here is very much at fault for sending out a puppy that everyone could see was not as healthy and robust as it should be. Only to leave the new owner holding the baby, so to speak. I also think there is something to be said for a buyer who will take a puppy that is runty and sickly in the first place.

God luck with your little guy. I sincerely hope he can have a happy healthy life despite his rocky start.

Lots of people will pick a puppy or dog because they feel sorry for it. Some unscrupulous people actually count on this, "it's the last of the litter all alone" and other manipulative emotional tugs.

I think there needs to be a half way point. Buyers get attached and are unable to give the puppy back but if the breeder can see the puppy is not well - then maybe they shouldn't allow it to be sold, or give a big discount... The buyers are taking a big risk with the sick puppy - what if it's fatal like parvo or that nerve disease that can kill BC puppies?

It messes with my head that some buyers will take the sick puppy and other buyers will give up on the perfectly healthy puppy because they can't deal with what puppies are like (lock up your socks and undies).

I didn't mean to spark a debate by any means, and to clarify when we picked up Hercules we weren't aware of any of the defects til we got him home and observed him, and realised something wasn't right, also the weather conditions the night we picked him up didn't help in taking time with the breeder when collecting them. Also, we did know he was smaller and may have some issues being so small, but we accepted that, we just found issues sooner than we knew it.

Also as a customer and not a breeder I happily admit that I am not as well-informed about pups when making a purchase, and probably make silly decisions, but I don't regret taking him and happy to deal with the medical issues when they come and intend to do whats best for him.

Unfortunately, the breeder isn't easy to talk to, I notified her of the issue with the pup, I didn't bother asking for a refund and don't expect her to help with the medical side of it either. Nor would I ever ask for a replacement, I don't see pups as a new car purchase with 21 day cooling off period and a three year new car warranty. He's family now, he was the moment we got him.

Appreciate all the feedback and in the far future when a pup might be on the cards again, I will be choosing a breeder very carefully rather than trusting a recommendation.

Thanks for the support guys :)