Feeling Rather Useless

Willowlane

Well for those who dont know me yet I have just bought my first show puppy after owning many 'pet' dogs over the years with my family.

Since getting my girl I have been training her (and myself lol) for the ring with the guidance of her amazing breeder who has been beyond helpful. I've been working on stacking, lead work and now she can go out, lots of desensitisation. But I just cant get the stacking right. She wriggles and worms everywhere, turns around, sits down, falls over you name it she tries it. We do eventually get 1-2 good 'stacks' or im not sure what its called then I leave the session there on a good note.

I just feel slightly useless as I watch her breeder stacks my girls brothers and sisters and they are so well behaved and stack beautifully and yet I have sooo much trouble. Most of all I dont want to stuff my girl up by letting her learn bad habits because I couldn't get it right :(

Pulling my hair out at times but LOVING it 90% of the time!!

Don't beat yourslf up, it's not as easy as an expert can make it look :laugh:

Has the breeder of your bitch tried stacking her? Sometimes this can help to pinpoint if it's her not knowing what's required or you not knowing how to get her to understand what's required.

Can you get to show training during the week?

I totally understand where you are coming from, this was me with my first show dog 8 years ago, I'm still learning now by watching experienced handlers. I was at times tearing my hair out as my boy was very good for others, best advice is patience and keep at it. Don't forget to make it fun for you both. Enjoy your puppy it goes so quickly.

It takes time and patience and sometimes they just behave differently for different people. It's good to go out to other training sessions to pick up different tips and realise you aren't the only one who is training a sassy puppy, might not seem like it now but hey make good show dogs in the end at least in my experience that has been the case.

The breeder can stack her easily.

Show training is not starting again till the start of July so nothing till then :(

Im looking at going to Camarna Kennels for a lesson or two in the mean time, just waiting to hear back from them.

I think showing is one of those things where you just have to jump in and learn by doing.

Have a few lessons, practice and then get in there and get feedback from people who will support you.

Just do your best. The judge will restack your dog if necessary while they judge.

Don't panic!!

Edited by Haredown Whippets

She's still fairly young yes? I would expect a bit of wriggling, and that's normal in the baby puppy line up.

With my breeders being in Tasmania, my mentor in Tamworth and myself on the mid northern coast of NSW, all my learning came via Youtube, and critiques of photos and video (no show training here). It's harder when you've only just started, but judges will have patience, especially if you explain that you're both just new to this - i've had some fantastic ones who've taken time to give me a couple of pointers even. In the meantime, keep practicing and one day, it will just 'click'.

Don't expect to be as good as your breeder, I feel like I still can't stack right half the time and we have many challenge certificates under our belts :laugh:

The breeder can stack her easily.

Show training is not starting again till the start of July so nothing till then :(

Im looking at going to Camarna Kennels for a lesson or two in the mean time, just waiting to hear back from them.

Luci is moving so she might not be doing many private lessons. Her group classes have ceased.

Be firm with her but not overly rough of course. Every time you want her to stack say stand as you are moving her legs. Keep her head still- control the head to control the dog. Any hold of her stack she gets release and praise/treat.

Showing is mostly learning by doing.

The most important thing at this stage is for your pup to have fun, fun and more fun. Don't worry too much about the stacking, just keep persisting - it will come. Your breeder is far more experienced than you and had also raised your pup from birth. You and the pup are still getting to know each other and you pup will try to win over you.

Nothing more sure to turn a pup off showing than making an issue of something at an early age. I have an almost 9 month old and while she stacks well she will not stand for the judge. It's her mission in life to be exuberant in her love of people. To date it has not been detrimental and she has done quite a bit of lovely winning BUT she is getting to an age where it is no longer acceptable for her to behave like this and I need to be a bit more committed to her training in this area.

Is there someone else who shows nearby that could help you? Even if not in the same breed.

The very first thing I ever learnt was to control the head, when you have that either by chain up behind the ears, food in front and the dog focused or depending on the breed your hand holding the flews, you can then work on the rest of it.

Dogs often wriggle and fidget when they are not balanced, you need to get the front end right , before you start on the rear.

The head bit is where im coming unstuck....just cant get her under the chin right, she still turns her head. Oh my what I would give for a show horse right now lol so much easier!

Although she did some lovely stacking today in front of the cement trucks I was using for desensitisation...I did get a few funny looks from the work men who im sure were wondering why I was sitting on the edge of a construction site in front of two large cement trucks playing tug-o-war with a puppy :laugh: ( its ok we were in a safe non traffic area.

LOL Willowlane don't panic. You and she are both learners and will be forgiven some wiggles.

See if her breeder thinks that using show stackers to establish balance and make it sooooo easy to reward the dog for standing still will make a difference. If the answer is yes, ask to borrow some of the right size.

Just relax ;-) (Easier said than done I know!) I remember my fist show dog and it does take time for us to learn. If you are in the ring with a puppy too a certain amount of wriggling and playing is expected. Even as a more experienced handler I have had pups roll their way around the ring (because it is fun) and jump on top of me when trying to stack. The main thing with pups is keep a sense of humour and have fun!

As mentioned though, controlling the head is a good start. And accepting an imperfect stack for a moment of stillness and head straight is a good start. You can then start moving the legs a bit more as they learn to focus. getting the front right fist as mentioned is a good aim. You can get the back legs to follow along later.

Where you have the lead will help a lot too. Don't let it slip down the neck. With it down the neck you have no control. Keep it behind the ears and under the chin and you will be able to control the head better.

Also if you are not on it already, I recommend the 'Australian Dog Show Newbies' group on Facebook.

Edited by espinay2