Balancing Dog Shows And Work?

Willowlane

I have an interview tomorrow, it will be my first one in 5/6yrs after an extended absence from work due to medical reasons. Over the 6years I have ridden horses and because I wasn't working my competition schedule never clashed. I also only competed at State and Nationals plus a few major shows so about 6-8 times a year.

With the dogs I want to compete every two weeks including some country shows so how do you guys work a busy work schedule and competing your fury friends (doesn't have to only be the show ring can be agility etc)

Im thinking just casual, my doctor has said I can only do 4days to start with anyway but I am imagining that is going to make getting a job really hard if I say 'oh I can only work Monday-Thursday even if for medical reasons :(

Edited by Willowlane

I haven't shown for a few years but when I did work always came first, I can't imagine prioritising a hobby over a career. But plenty of folk at my workplace work four days a week so if that is your intention it may not be the impediment you imagine.

This work for me will more be a way of inching me back into the work force after my time away. My doctor feels it is equally important to have the stress relief of the dogs as it is of having a job hence why the time is put into the dogs. They are truly like therapy dogs for me and the competition allows me to challenge myself in a productive way

I wont get much money per week being only a casual and on so few hours and what I do get some will go into helping my husband with utilities and the rest will go towards entries and lessons etc on the dogs, and a bit into savings of course.

When im ready for a full time 9-5 Monday - Friday job im sure my priorities would change although the doctor doesn't feel this is a realistic goal for me to have at the moment due to medical reasons. Im just thrilled I can even try for a job after so long away from the work force :D

Work always comes first, I work so I can have my dogs.

I normally only show on weekends but when I can get days off I do some triples or head away to Royals or overseas Nationals.

It's about finding balance.

I only do shows pretty rarely, when local ones come around, but I'm out training for trials (obedience and agility) formally at club twice weekly, and will hopefully be competing in them pretty soon, and will go to as many as I can.

But work still comes first, the recent shows I've done were 3 day shows, I did the two days and didn't enter the 3rd as I worked instead.

I also just re-enrolled back into uni, so uni will also come above dog events.

It's the same as anything you need to figure out your work/life balance.

My sister shows her Westies all over Canada and parts of the U.S. She uses her holidays and days off to go to shows - her job enables her hobby. She too, suffers from depression but the dogs keep her balanced. Whilst I get that your hobby does the same thing, unfortunately you need to understand that any employer is going to expect you to put your job - for which they are paying you - first.

I fit in agility trialling around work. I work a 4 day week plus every second saturday. We usually end up trialling 3/4 weekends in peak season which is pretty good. I usually plan my agility trialling year in advance, that way I can swap days in advance that I would like off.

You should be fine with showing- there are lots more shows than agility trials!

I use recreation leave or I don't do Friday shows. I just turn up on the Saturday.

Work pays the bills. It has to come first. I've turned up to work on a planned rec day and missed a show because I was needed. My boss is pretty good about days off so I do right by her.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Yep work comes first 'cause unfortunately ribbons don't pay the bills. If I have Friday shows that I really want to go to I organise annual leave days.

Edited by sas

Well no job for me today, they needed me to work every Friday, Saturday :( oh well was only my first interview and they said otherwise they loved me so onto the next one I guess.

I wouldn't turn down a job to show - you still have Sunday's. Plus work pays for show entries.

I'd kill for a Friday and Saturday job. Just because I've cancer, employers seem to think I'm brain dead - even when I can prove I scheduled my chemo around days off and work extra hours. I've been a year out of work and I don't even get an interview.

Well no job for me today, they needed me to work every Friday, Saturday :( oh well was only my first interview and they said otherwise they loved me so onto the next one I guess.

I wouldn't turn down a job to show - you still have Sunday's. Plus work pays for show entries.

There are shows on Mondays sometimes too.

Edited by LisaCC

My job involved a lot of weekend work, pet retail. I just worked as many weekends as I could, so that when I asked for a few off (at most, it was one weekend a month for 3 months) it was ok.

For me, 1 weekend of work = 1 weekend of shows literally! The $$ add up for showing, especially once you add a second dog..... :laugh:

Its more medically that im restricted. They advertised for 13-16hrs but were then saying it might have to become 30hrs+ at short notice :( I am going to struggle with 13hrs. There is a reason I have not been able to work. Its not been a matter of not wanting to work but not being able to. My Dr doesn't even want me to do 4days but I wouldn't listen.

In the warmer weather, there are a lot of shows in the evenings, supposedly to avoid the heat of the day, although it can be pretty darn hot at Erskine Park (Orchard Hills, whatever) at 5pm, lol. There are also lots of shows on Sundays. Many clubs are now holding double shows, ie your dog can be judged twice on the same day. So not being available Fridays and Saturdays is not as great a restriction as you may think.

In the warmer weather, there are a lot of shows in the evenings, supposedly to avoid the heat of the day, although it can be pretty darn hot at Erskine Park (Orchard Hills, whatever) at 5pm, lol. There are also lots of shows on Sundays. Many clubs are now holding double shows, ie your dog can be judged twice on the same day. So not being available Fridays and Saturdays is not as great a restriction as you may think.

I love the idea of night shows but agree it can be very hot at 5pm at EP!

Big fan of the double shows thumbsup1.gif

It's mainly about planning. i do have a job that is fairly flexible about me scheduling my leave when I want to to accommodate showing. But it is about maintaining that work life balance. I may do a few weekends in a row showing then nothing for a month. It depends on time of year, the shows and where they are, where my dogs are at with age/coat etc at the time as well as other things going on in my life. I often won't show on a Friday (actually I rarely show on a Friday). I find three days in a row too much for both me and my dogs anyway. Sometimes only one day on a weekend is enough for me to handle health wise (due to chronic medical condition) and also with other family commitments. I stick mostly to shows within about 3 hours of me. Only longer distances for more important shows. So mostly shows I can comfortably get there and back on the day. As I said, it is about balance and planning.

Edited by espinay2