Chihuahua Colour

Guest Roka

Hello,

I've been wanting a Chihuahua for a long time but my husband won't let me have another dog right now. He has told me that I have to wait until my old dog is gone before I can get another one.

I found my dream dog just the other day online but the timing is all wrong and it was also a long way away although it was a price I could afford (I am a pensioner).

What I want is a short haired black and white Chi preferably female. I feel upset and disappointed that I can't get the one that I found yesterday as this particular dog was exactly what I wanted. :mad

My question is: Can Chihuahuas be bred for colour? Or is colour arbitrary genetically?

Does anybody out there breed short haired coloured Chis?

When I am ready to get my new dog it doesn't have to be a puppy and I don't want a female for breeding. I just like the sweet nature and I've also been told that since my current dog is male (de-sexed) that there would be less aggression and jealously issues if my next dog is a female. I'm not sure if this is true or not. I asked my vet about it and he said that sex didn't matter.

I guess buying this dog would have been the wrong thing to do as I found it on Gumtree and there has been a lot of news in the press about dogs advertised this way most likely coming from puppy factories. Not a good thing that I'd want to support.

P.S. Any dog I get gets a FUREVER and loving home! I am located in a regional country town in Southern NSW about 1 and 1/2 hours from the ACT.

Have you tried the mature dog breeder listings here on Dogzonline?

Chihuahua breeders mature pets I see a short haired female there :)

or

https://www.petrescue.com.au/

Some decent breeders advertise of Gumtree but it's a matter of research. You could always try going to a dog show, get to know the breeders.

Can't answer the colour question! :)

edit; you may end up paying transport as well but it's not hugely expensive, you're paying by weight.

Edited by Powerlegs

You would be better finding a breeder who has dogs you like the temperament of (colour would be a bonus, but colour won't be what makes a dog hard to live with if you get the wrong one)

I have met good and bad chi's, and the bad can be very bad. I would start with temps. :)

I just took a look. THANK YOU! Izzy looks very cute, but now's not the right time.

> I see a short haired female there :)

Is she Kelpie coloured? Looks like Izzy! She's adorable. Still, it's not time yet however, when I am ready I will definitely look here first.

Some decent breeders advertise of Gumtree but it's a matter of research. You could always try going to a dog show, get to know the breeders.

I think this is actually a little puppy that I saw a few months back that was sold. The markings look the same. If it's the same puppy it is now 5 months old and the owner is selling because her big dogs are bullying her and she is very unhappy. :cry:

That's ok!

you may end up paying transport as well but it's not hugely expensive, you're paying by weight.

How does transporting a dog work? I discussed this with the owner of the puppy I found yesterday. She gave me a couple of names but neither person answered the phone. It all seemed just too risky and overwhelming to me.

I just took a look. THANK YOU! Izzy looks very cute, but now's not the right time.

> I see a short haired female there :)

Is she Kelpie coloured? Looks like Izzy! She's adorable. Still, it's not time yet however, when I am ready I will definitely look here first.

I think this is actually a little puppy that I saw a few months back that was sold. The markings look the same. If it's the same puppy it is now 5 months old and the owner is selling because her big dogs are bullying her and she is very unhappy. :cry:

That's ok!

you may end up paying transport as well but it's not hugely expensive, you're paying by weight.

How does transporting a dog work? I discussed this with the owner of the puppy I found yesterday. She gave me a couple of names but neither person answered the phone. It all seemed just too risky and overwhelming to me.

Temperament wise the dog should be loving and not mind being a lap dog but also assertive enough to cope with my 3 year old JRT x Mini Foxy terror (Oh, did I say "Terror?" I meant Terrier but he can be a TERROR!). My old dog is sweet and sooky but is still able to put Roka in his place if need be. :D

Can Chi's be bred for colour? Yes, any dog breed can be bred for particular colours where colour variation exists. Some colours are dominant, some recessive. Breeding for recessive or unusual colours is the fast track to genetic mediocrity.

Should Chi's be bred for colour? No. Colour breeding tends to be the stamp of the lesser quality breeder. Structure, temperament and breed type will trump colour for the better breeders.

We all have colour preferences but those preferences shouldn't be paramount when we breed. Colour is just the gift wrapping on a dog. What's underneath is what matters. I'd take a good dog of any colour over an ordinary one of a rare or fashionable one.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Can Chi's be bred for colour? Yes, any dog breed can be bred for particular colours where colour variation exists. Some colours are dominant, some recessive. Breeding for recessive or unusual colours is the fast track to genetic mediocrity.

Should Chi's be bred for colour? No. Colour breeding tends to be the stamp of the lesser quality breeder. Structure, temperament and breed type will trump colour for the better breeders.

We all have colour preferences but those preferences shouldn't be paramount when we breed. Colour is just the gift wrapping on a dog. What's underneath is what matters. I'd take a good dog of any colour over an ordinary one of a rare or fashionable one.

+1 :clap:

Excellent post HW! thumbsup1.gif