Games To Play With Border Collie Puppy?

Paws22

Hi everyone, I've got a sixteen week old border collie pup and I'm wondering if anyone has any idea of some games I can play with him? So far we play fetch, "hide the toy", soccer and obedience training. Does anyone know of some games that are really fun for puppies and that also encourages them to use their brains and think? Although he loves toys when I'm not around, he becomes quite focussed on me when I play with him. I'd love some ideas on bonding games or just games in general that puppies love to play.

Many thanks

Hi everyone, I've got a sixteen week old border collie pup and I'm wondering if anyone has any idea of some games I can play with him? So far we play fetch, "hide the toy", soccer and obedience training. Does anyone know of some games that are really fun for puppies and that also encourages them to use their brains and think? Although he loves toys when I'm not around, he becomes quite focussed on me when I play with him. I'd love some ideas on bonding games or just games in general that puppies love to play.

Many thanks

OMG...where to start ???? For starters I would get into clicker training & teach all sorts of tricks. How to get started Introduction to Clicker Training. My guys go nuts for it :)

Many thanks

OMG...where to start ???? For starters I would get into clicker training & teach all sorts of tricks. How to get started Introduction to Clicker Training. My guys go nuts for it :)

Hi Border Collie Lover & Agility Nut, yes I started clicker training him when I got him and so far it's working well. I actually read through your website before I got my pup as you have some fabulous information and I LOVE the pics and youtube videos of your gorgeous dogs.

My boy seems to enjoy obedience training, but I guess I was looking for some stimulating games that he would really enjoy that would let him just cut loose, for example, maybe a really fun game to finish an obedience session? I can't take him out for another week (he had his third lot of vaccines a week ago) so in the meantime I've been trying to find some games to play with him. I feel he may be getting bored of soccer and "find the toy".

My guys love hide & seek...we play it in the house. Get him to stay, or if he is still not up to that being so young, get someone to hold him while you go & hide, then call his name & when he does find you, party, party & lots of praise & treats or a game of tug....most BC's love a game of tug, but watch your fingers :laugh:

Go and sign yourself up to Susan Garrett's free Recallers training. I'm not sure exactly what it will entail yet, as it's released on the 29th, but there'll be games to play, and a brilliant recall may just be one of the benefits. :)

Go and sign yourself up to Susan Garrett's free Recallers training. I'm not sure exactly what it will entail yet, as it's released on the 29th, but there'll be games to play, and a brilliant recall may just be one of the benefits. :)

+1 :thumbsup:

Have a look on Youtube for clips by kikopup, and by Donna Hill.

And I would just add ... all your training is games ..or at least as far as your dog knows. My tip .. don't think of them as two separate sorts of activities.

I dont know if this will help but I have a 13wk old English Springer Spaniel puppy who I took for a lesson with Steve Courtney from K9Pro. The lesson was AMAZING but I purchased what I call a prey toy, im not sure what its really called sorry. Its a toy on a cord thats attached to a stick, the toy has a sheepskin top then dangling felt strips hanging down. My girl goes nuts for it, completely nuts. We play chase with it, allow her to eventually catch it, play a bit of tug (there is a bit of give in the pole) then get a release from her and then reward. I find it very interactive and great bonding between my girl and myself.

We play the game for 5minutes a few times a day when I can or at least once a day when im busy. She is so with me after playing it, following me around, not taking her eyes off me.

I was also taught the start of training recall which I do when ever I have a 2nd person to help me.

I found a photo of the prey stick

http://www.k9pro.com.au/prey-drive-on-a-stick.html