Loner Dog - Why

Guest donatella

Guest donatella

I've got a behaviourist juice and she has worked through the issues. I think it's just her as she comes and goes as she pleases, she'd make a good cat

that natural trait is genetic - breeders select for a dog that is more or less naturally inclined to seek out human company depending on what work they will be doing. Dogs that want to be with you and are on you are more suitable for training in therapy and assistance work. Its actually something some puppy buyers want to look for when they select one puppy over the other in a litter and one of the things I tst for when placing a pup.

Guest donatella

Good to know Steve. Bon was all over me from the second I met her I went to the breeders house and I went to purchase the male however he had no interest in me, he was humping this mum, chewing the carpet he wouldn't sit still enough to be held. Bonnie was so placid and loving she crawled into my lap and just wanted to be loved. I ended up with her and I had no intention of 2 girls.

Lucy now I think about it has always sought time alone, as a puppy she used to sit in my shoes in the wardrobe even as a solo dog.

The behavioust has said that Bonnie would make a great therapy dog as she is so sweet and loving and Lucy would thrive at agility as she is intelligent, determined and wants to please

I think my dog Nike would have made a good cat. She does come for cuddles every now and then, but she usually just drifts along in her own world. Most of her time is actually spent out in the laundry with the cat as otherwise she just sits in the kitchen staring at the door leading to the laundry.

I've actually found her really difficult to train as she doesn't interact with me in the same manner as the other dogs. Really, the only time I feel like there is any sort of bond there, is when she wants to have a cuddle, and when we are digging a hole together.

Like CaseyKay said further up, sometimes it is hard not to feel just a little rejected :laugh:

My little Poppy is like this, very independent! I love her to bits, but she is never going to be a cuddly dog. I put it down to us being her 3rd or 4th home when we got her a 5.5 months and figured she had never bonded with someone? She has the best temperament out of the three of them, pretty much bomb proof. She always sits by herself, except at night when she sleeps with us and then I know she's only getting close for the heat :laugh:

Louis is the complete opposite and always wants to be touching me :)

Stan is not your typical velcro greyhound unless you're a visitor, he looooves visitors and will lay all over them but with me he's meh. The only time he really seeks out a cuddle is at night when he sleeps snuggled up to me. He spends all day either in my bed, on the lounge or on his hammock bed out the back. Maddie never lets me out of her sight and she's very affectionate all the time, she'd be happy for me to kiss her face all day.

Kira is a bit if a veclro dog and 90% of the time likes to be as close to me as possible, she's actually even started lying outside the shower door while I'm in it. However winter messes things up a bit as that is when we get the heat going in the house and generally make sure the rooms we are in are the warmest and it actually gets too warm for her so her conundrum is whether to stay close or to go and find a cooler spot. At the moment she is about 4 meters away from me and I am still in her line of sight but she is lying on the tiles at the top of the stairs (where cool air comes up from the garage) and I'm sitting directly under an aircon vent. So I've clearly lost out and being cooler has won. :laugh:

Indy never needed to be quite as close. We was either in total sook mode and wanted cuddles and tummy rubs or he wanted his space. He liked to know where we were and be in the vicinity but he liked his alone time too, however I think that was more related to his medical issues than his personality. If he was in pain he wanted space but if he was having a good day he wanted to be close.