Farm Friendly Cafe Animals Mauled By Dogs

Guest donatella

It's not that hard to dig proof your fences, most chicken owners do this by running wire out underground away from the fence.

Given these dogs have apparently been declared menacing for killing a goat I would have thought the owner should have been making an effort to keep them in although I'm surprised they were only declared menacing for previously killing an animal.

it is not the dogs fault. Many dogs would probably kill small prey animals given the chance.

Absolutely agree, but I can understand why the community are upset. Especially when this isn't the first time those dogs have been out and about.

I guess that's why they shouldn't get the chance the first time, nor the second.

The pigs weren't that little though. Brave dogs! Pigs don't mess about.

These dogs are aggressive. I'm sure they'd be interested in passing dogs, were there any.

The owner is obviously incompetent, uncaring, stupid or all of the above. It isn't the dogs' fault, it is the owner BUT these dogs cannot go back to the owner and cannot be rehomed.

We can't really make that assumption based only on media reporting of the story... the dogs may be perfectly fine with other dogs/humans... or not... we just don't know.

Personally, I'd say that if these dogs have a previous record for menacing or attacking other animals, this should have been their last chance. They have proven that they will find their own "fun" if not contained properly by their owner.. TWICE now... and their owner has shown that they are not capable of containing them effectively.

T.

If these were my animals I would want the dogs destroyed knowing they had already killed. Why should anyone have to dig proof an enclosure their own animals can't get out of just so no ones roaming dogs can get in???

Obviously their owner is either irresponsible or has dogs they can't manage properly, either way a recipe for disaster.

Rascal for me the issue is if there is no one living there who can respond immediately if the animals start making a racket then perhaps reinforcing the closure gives some peace of mind. Dogs and foxes could dig under and snakes might also get in if the wire holes are large enough. Plus what's to stop some human idiot cutting the wire and stealing some of the animals if no one is on the premises?

Apologies if I have a different opinion to others. Having experienced a prolonged dog attack once (also on the premises) I'm probably a little more cautious these days. I understand livestock lives freely in paddocks and that even penned animals can be killed without surprise by predators. But personally, if I had invested in a lovely petting zoo with calm, healthy animals (which takes time and money) I'd be concerned about providing a little extra safety, especially if I didn't live on the premises. This is simply because I would want to negate as many risks as I could. For instance I'd hate to think of some idiot taking a liking to one of my pigs or goats and knowing no one was there overnight, coming back, cutting the wire and taking them. I'd worry that I had a business based around this lovely idea and imagine how horrible it would be to turn up to work and find death and chaos awaiting you.

Should the onus be on the victim to ensure protection? No, but it's just a peace of mind thing for me.

I personally would probably have my animals locked up very securely, I'm in outer suburbia even then my chooks go to bed in a very secure cubby my husband built and my two free range rabbits are locked up at night in a huge aviary secured to a decked floor my husband also built, however I still think the people that own the dogs should be held accountable.