Back On Track Dog Coats.

Hi folks,

Am in the market for a Back on Track dog coat for Sonny. He is suffering with early onset Arthritis in his hips sadly.

I have noticed lately that the stiffness in his rear end has increased, mainly first thing in the morning or after he has been lying

down for a while then goes to get up. Being winter as well the cold seems to increase his stiffness.

Once he get going he moves quite well. I thought I would get him a coat to help alleviate some of his symptoms.

I'm just a bit unsure whether to buy the dog blanket or the quilted rug???? I'm worried he may get too hot in the quilted one? I want him wear it

of a night time mainly & he is indoors. The blanket looks great but just don't k know if it will it be as effective being lighter.

Any thought, suggestions, experiences greatly appreciated :)

We have both and our older dogs wear them at night and all day at trials. We have noticed a huge difference in the dogs and swear by them. During winter the dogs with quilted coats wear them and the dogs with mesh coats wear theirs under a thicker jacket. During summer they all just wear the mesh ones.

e

Thanks for your replies DC & denali .

DC, thats sounds very promising for Sonny then. So pleased you have seen such a positive difference.

Sonny is very heavily coated that why I was unsure whether to get the quilted one or not. I think I will do what your doing then & get the quilted one for winter. The mesh one for summer. I have upped his pain meds this last week & modified his exercise. More swimming, less actually walking.

Denali, what breed of dog is Hen?

Another BoT fan here. My older BC girl has worn her mesh coat for summer pjs and her quilted one for winter pjs. Sometimes at trials (although at 13 she's retured now .. shhh .. don't tell her though :D .0

it's always hard to know which of several interventions is having effects .. my two were also on Joint Guard and for the last couple of years have been taking Rose Hip Canine Vital, but I'm sure the BoT coat is helping. For winter now, she also has a Snugglesafe warmer in her bed (thanks DOL) since I have no heating in my bedroom.

Don' t worry Tassie I won't tell her LOL

Sonny is on RHV, Animal Solutions Omega 369, Technyflex, Golden paste as well as Tramadol & Carprohen. We have the dogs room reverse cycle air conned. Hopefully the BOT coat will be as successful as it has been with you & others. Upsets me to see him in pain in the mornings.I spoke to the Vet this morning & we've upped Sonny's Tramadol as he was only taking half a SR 50mg, so he will be having a full SR 50mg morning & night now. At least over the cooler months.

Edited by BC Crazy

He is a cavalier BC Crazy- not double coated, but he still has a very thick coat :)

The mesh is good here in Brisbane on its own mostly, in the cold weather we had recently i just put another jacket over the top for him. kept him happy! I do think they work as well.

Dash is 13 and still actively trialing, Delta is 9 in December and we were told she would be unlikely to trial past the age of 4 due to her spondylosis. The others are just regular dogs with no particular issues.

As a comparison to Tassie, ours used to be on joint supplements and RHV but we had to take them all off about 18months ago when we moved as money became too tight to afford it. So ours get no support other than their BOT coats yet are still moving better than ever. Delta has actually improved considerably and is now a very consistent dog in agility.

Geez DC, 9 & 13... Dash & Delta are going amazingly well. And on no supplements at all. Are either of them Arthritic? What is Spondylosis DC? Never heard of that.

She has certainly defied the odds & the experts by all accounts. Well done girl :)

Geez DC, 9 & 13... Dash & Delta are going amazingly well. And on no supplements at all. Are either of them Arthritic? What is Spondylosis DC? Never heard of that.

She has certainly defied the odds & the experts by all accounts. Well done girl :)

Minimal arthritis in Dash, nothing to be concerned about and chiro said she is in great nick for her age. Delta is not arthritic at this point. They are seen pretty regularly by a massage therapist and by our performance vet every 3 months when we go back to Canberra.

Spondylosis is the growth of bony spurs along the spine, over time some of them actually fuse together and restrict movement. She was diagnosed at the age of 2 while x-raying for hip dysplasia. Turns out her hips are fine but she has spondylosis right the way along her back and especially in the pelvic area. The issue for her was more the secondary symptoms, really tight muscles that were poorly developed from not being used correctly. As long as I keep on top of the muscles she seems to be pain free (and the BOT coat is great for keeping them warm). She is not at all stoic and if she is in any pain will refuse to run so in her case it is easy to keep track of how she is going. Some of the others would run on 2 legs if need be, so thank god she isn't like that!

Geez that Spondylosis sounds bloody awful & painful... It's a wonder she is walking around let alone trailing.

Sonny is far from stoic as well. He will just stop & sit down if he just wa nts to have a rest. And he is academy award winning material

if he has a bindi in his paw...LOL where as Stella would continue to run run run ... no matter what ...over hot coals.

BC Crazy I have both a mesh and a quilted for Kenz. I use the quilted one for if she is in the car or out but I keep the mesh for home as she sleeps indoors. I don't heat the house over winter but the mesh ones seems to keep her sufficiently warm. I also prefer it for sleeping indoors as it does breathe and its not as stiff. Even with Ness before she passed away I was just using a mesh for sleeping in.

Oh thank you ness :) I was going to pm you actually to ask your opinion. OH & I were just discussing what one to get. Sonny has a huge coat & is inside alot.

I was concerned he may get too hot in the quilted one. I think ill get the mesh one first then. I can always get the quilted one at a later date :)

Oh thank you ness :) I was going to pm you actually to ask your opinion. OH & I were just discussing what one to get. Sonny has a huge coat & is inside alot.

I was concerned he may get too hot in the quilted one. I think ill get the mesh one first then. I can always get the quilted one at a later date :)

We started all ours with mesh and then the girls got a quilted one for this winter. We are not allowed to have the dogs inside where we are currently renting so we wanted something warmer for them at night.

Yes, I started with mesh too .. and think that would be fine for Sonny.

DC, I am not telling Kirra that Dash is still trialling. :rofl: Kirra was doing fine last year, but as I was taking a bit of a break the first half of this year .. trying to get my head round H360, it seemed like a good time to retire her. Her overall fitness was fine .. and last check up with holistic/acupuncture/massage vet he said "There's nothing I need to do with this dog this time." :D I did treat her to the massage mat, though. She is developing cataracts .. just typical old age ones, so I was concerned that she might be struggling to judge takeoffs .. especially into a low sun. She still insists on training at home and at club.

That's fabulous your Kirra is in such good shapeTassie . You must be doing everything right for her. I have everything crossed my next dog will be a healthy one.

That is something I'm very much looking forward to :)

That's fabulous your Kirra is in such good shapeTassie . You must be doing everything right for her. I have everything crossed my next dog will be a healthy one.

You could try our logic and have 13 of them- odds are that some will be healthy!!!

You could try our logic and have 13 of them- odds are that some will be healthy!!!

:rofl: Think maybe I'm glad my council limit is 2! :D