Tooth Wear?

Jemmy

I've noticed Luna's canines seem to have worn off a bit. I'm not sure if this is just normal wear or if it's something I need to be concerned about and go to the vet. I was hoping some more experienced owners can tell me if I'm overreacting or not.

She's 18 months.

4b68ddc438ac1a150689043ca4cc1b43.jpg

83e18ad641d0c0c553128b1346669e7a.jpg

Thank you!

do you throw a ball for her alot? I knew a woman whose dog was addicted to chasing and catching tennis balls and they were surprisingly abrasive and wore her young dogs teeth down.

Edited by Kirislin

My Aussie's bottom canines are quite worn from tennis balls. We hadn't realised what was causing it and now only use rubber balls.

I wouldn't be concerned unless they get a lot worse and you can't figure out what's causing it.

Edited by Dame Aussie

She does love balls but we only use the chuck-it balls or JW Megalast balls, no tennis balls. I did realise I've been tugging with her Tuffy toys a bit, maybe the material is rubbing them down a bit?

Any recommendations for teeth friendly tugs?

She does love balls but we only use the chuck-it balls or JW Megalast balls, no tennis balls. I did realise I've been tugging with her Tuffy toys a bit, maybe the material is rubbing them down a bit?

It's probably any balls that do it, sticks too, if the dog's really addicted to catching things.

The rubber balls we use don't do it as they're smooth. The problem with tennis balls is the dirt that sticks to them grinds the teeth down whereas if they're smooth there's nothing for the sand/dirt to really grab onto. Lili's teeth have stayed exactly the same since we switched.

That is fairly typical of slow wear from carrying balls, but occasionally I'll see it in dogs who have bones and no access to balls. Most commonly it is tennis balls but any means of abrasion can cause it.

what about those rubbery Udder tugs?