Tail Tip Injuries..having Amputation Now.

First time in his 6 years my GSP has split open his tail tip. Its not healing and now deep infection. He's on oral antibiotics and tail bandaged and most recent vet visit they applied skin glue to try give another level of protection. We are aware of the difficulty of healing these injuries and also the need to sometimes amputate so would really appreciate people's experiences please. How long do you keep trying to heal it? Is it better to amputate sooner rather than later etc?

Thanks

Edited by fiveplusone

Our Greyhound tail did not heal & the end died so we amputated about 3 inches & all was great after that ,she didn't get an infection but it simply wouldn't heal & when she did knock it it squirted like a hose ,her tip was just so fragile that the simpliest of taps meant it would bleed.

Up to you i guess but i think i would go for the removal part sooner than later

I haven't had to deal with this issue personally, but have seen people who tape the tail to the dogs leg, or wrap it around their side in a stocking etc. to give it a chance to heal.

Not sure how you have bandaged it, but maybe worth looking into?

I have not had to manage this issue personally either, but have known dogs bandaged with a hair roller of similar hard tube over the tail tip, then bandaged. I think I have seen DOLers post about this bandage method. Maybe someone can give extra detail.

Personally I would probably look at taking some of the tail off so there is nice fresh tissue for healing.

that tail sling is clever, but what about male dogs. Would they pee on it?

Oh, she mentions once the tail is healed to cut the tape off with blunt nosed scissors, but you can just rub oil into the bandage and the glue will release. Then of course you have an oily tail to wash.

Edited by Kirislin

Thanks all. He's having surgery today. It was still badly infected at our visit this morning and likely osteomyelitis so together we decided to just progress to surgery when in all likelihood we would have end up there anyway.

Edited by fiveplusone

Thanks all. He's having surgery today. It was still badly infected at our visit this morning and likely osteomyelitis so together we decided to just progress to surgery when in all likelihood we would have end up there anyway.

I think you made the best call, given the infection is showing no improvement.

Hope it all goes well :) Now he will look American!

I think you made the best call, given the infection is showing no improvement.

Hope it all goes well :) Now he will look American!

It really was disgusting poor boy,not that it seemed to bother him at all.

He's home now. Doped up to the eyeballs, but has pain meds and antibiotics and a very well padded stump.