Changing From Puppy Food To Adult

Sheridan

My puppies have recently begun not eating all their breakfast and dinner. Bunny is 6 months; Roo is 5 months. Everything I've read says they should be on puppy food until around the age of 1 year. Last time I had a puppy his breeder told me that the puppy would just stop eating the puppy food and that's when I should change over. What to do? Are they old enough to change? Roo doesn't seem to be eating enough to my mind while Bunny is still eating. Roo didn't even want a pig's ear tonight where previously he was very keen on them.

It really depends on the pup - my baby is tough to put weight on so I'm sticking with the high calorie puppy food (plus raw etc) until at least the next big bag is finished. I would have a chat with the breeder of these pups.

Just saw blinkblink's response - yes they can be very fussy around teething. A spoon of yoghurt or sardines with a bit of water to make it slushy often does the trick. Do they eat raw?

Edited by The Spotted Devil

I switched my pups onto high quality junior kibble at around 12-14 weeks... the puppy formulas started to give them the squirts at the larger portions required for their weights. Royal Canin Junior was the kibble of choice here, and it worked well for us.

T.

Puppy foods are usually formulated better than adult foods due to their additional nutritional requirements, so I'd ignore what your breeder said. Most adult dogs would chose to eat a puppy food over an adult food.

Puppies go through growth and teething stages, so the amount of food they eat will change accordingly. I've never cared much for feeding guidelines as they're usually more for marketing purposes (i.e. with this calculation you'll pay x amount per meal). Both my last 2 puppies I've fed as much as they've wanted to eat, but ensured they've had a high quality diet. Generally obesity comes from feeding the wrong food more than the quantity.

Start all mine on Royal Canin Junior and they stay on it for life.

I never feed puppy food.

Oakway, Royal Canin Junior IS puppy food.

This is their feeding guide

No, Royal Canin is a growth food so the rep said, that is why they can stay it all their lives. Royal Canin do produce a Puppy Food. :)

Sorry forgot to say I would be amazed if I had an Iggy that weighed 11kg. Remember I have changed breeds. :)

Edited by oakway

In nutrition requirements for "growth" are equivalent to puppy requirements so I imagine the terms are being used interchangeably.

Who knows :) all I do know is that they are all doing well on it. :thumbsup: I suppose I'm like most people, what works I go for. Mind you I loved the VIP grain free but the dogs just refused to eat it and it was a new bag.