Golden Paste - Tumeric

I've just made my first batch of this. I've seen some varying recipes, some with 1/5th cup of tumeric, others with 1/2 cup. I've gone with the 1/2 cup recipe. I will start feeding it tonight. So far so good, the boys licked the cooking utensils clean for me. :D

I've got 3 aged dogs here and me riddled with arthritis so thought I'd give it a go.

Feel free to add your success stories or any helpful information to this thread.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My boy is one of the fussiest dogs on the planet and will happily eat this in a mince ball. I follow Doug English's recipe.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup (125 mls/60gms) turmeric powder

1 cup water (250 mls) PLUS 1 cup water in reserve, if needed

1/3 cup (70 mls) cold pressed Olive or Coconut oil

1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper (7.5 mls/3gms)

+Celyon cinnamon to help stop the "pee smell"

http://www.turmericlife.com.au/turmeric-recipes-golden-paste/

I use the same recipe as Scottsmum. I have my almost 13 year old boy on it - 1 tsp per day and I should remember to take it myself as well.

I think it makes a difference to the dog but I know it makes a difference to myself. When I don't take it for a few days the pain in my hands can be excruciating, particularly if I knock my fingers. I usually mix my dose (1 tsp. two or three ties per day) with some yoghurt and add some Ceylon Cinnamon in as well.

I hope it doesn't spoil it if I use already ground black pepper. I bought it before I knew it was supposed to be freshly ground. I got all my ingredients from Oasis bakery, it's a Middle Eastern shop on North rd. I dont know about the pee smell yet, too soon.

I also use the same recipe as above for my female. My male will not go near it. Molly has a dodgy cruciate and on her opposite side HD. I can't say I have really noticed a difference but then she is on Previcox and supplements too.

i too use doug english's recipe, with 1 tbsp cyelon cinnamon :)

My dogs aren't fans of it, but i think it helps Henry.

His skin has been better since being on it, but i do give it to hip for his hips laugh.gif

The other two just get it anyway!

I should take it also, but also cannot stand the taste..

Edited by denali

I've decided to give it to everyone here, including me! I've already had my dose this morning. I think I can get used to it. The boys like it. Neko thinks I'm trying to poison her and not sure what Feather thinks. I just put it on my finger and rubbed it on the roof of her mouth :laugh:

i too use doug english's recipe, with 1 tbsp cyelon cinnamon :)

My dogs aren't fans of it, but i think it helps Henry.

His skin has been better since being on it, but i do give it to hip for his hips laugh.gif

The other two just get it anyway!

I should take it also, but also cannot stand the taste..

It's pretty good but mine often comes out very solid (a bit more crumbly, but similar to the coconut oil in the first place) so I just take it and chase it down with luke warm water.

I make the same as you, denali, but a heaped tbsp of the cinnamon because I was desperate to get rid of the pee smell!

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to help my old boy at all, but I will keep feeding it until I run out of turmeric.

So do you mix the cinnamon in with the turmeric mix when you make it? Or do you add that to their food?

Now that I've read about the pee smell that makes sense of a smell I have in my house now!!

I add it to the mix :)

I'll be interested to see if my dogs start stinking, I hope not. I wonder if it affects humans too, cause I've started taking it. I suppose I'll get the hint sooner or later.

With the odds i got in my house you have a 25% chance of them smelling like pee laugh.gif

Dont think it affects humans either.

So do you mix the cinnamon in with the turmeric mix when you make it? Or do you add that to their food?

Now that I've read about the pee smell that makes sense of a smell I have in my house now!!

You can add it later if you need to - that is add some to your existing batch to hwlp with the smell

Am I right in thinking this is not to be given on a permanent basis? I think I read somewhere it can affect vital organs if fed long term.

But of course I can't find my source, Grrrrrr.....

From what I have read golden paste is OK long term. It's Turmeric supplements with like 95% curcumin extract which is not great long term.