Breeders

fabel

Okay, I can understand a pet owner not being happy with breeders terms. I do get it.

Through most of your posts the monetary gain value of this agreement is what I have seen pop up most. It is obviously a breed in low numbers in this country and with a small number of breeders. Have you ever thought it is not actually about the money? The breeder may want the litter to improve and expand the breed in Australia. She may have not wanted this bitch desexed because she is a valuable addition (in genetic terms) to the breeding pool in this country. She cannot keep them all but when you have a breed that is low numerically it is a tad silly to sell a bitch that is a value contributor to improving and growing a small young breed in the country.

You say if you won lotto you would pay her out. She may not give a rats about the monetary income. Her value with lay in the value this bitch has for the breed and the gene pool in this country.

I really believe you need to sit down and sort this out with your breeder. These feeling are not going to go away and over time I can guarantee they will get worse.

The breeder as Steve said may have offered the tent as she has no spare rooms and knows you will miss your girl and may well think you would like to play a role in the whelping, birth and rearing of her babies. I have no spare rooms so I couldn't offer you one at my house. She may well ask you to drop the bitch off just before whelping then return at 4 weeks so you the owner does not have to be separated longer than is absolutely necessary. She may well have other adults and young dogs the pups will be with to teach them about dog language and boundaries.

I understand why you do not like the restrictions, that is why none of mine are on breeders terms. However I do think you are maybe getting a bit to wound up in displeasure and anger and not looking at the picture from both sides. You need to work this out now with your breeder.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hope the bitch is at least judged as being suitable to better the breed and not just used when she's ready because she's female?

Even being rare breed I thought most registered breeders showed their dogs against their peers before breeding? (Although I don't think anything has been stated to say the breeder is registered or the pup was sold on mains so maybe not)?

Depends on a heap of things including what the breeder is selecting for and how small the gene pool is - you dont have to show a bitch to know that she will bring something you want to your breeding program.

Exactly. Also location can play a part in that. Pet owners may not want to send dogs back to breeders so they can show them. The breeder choses to not ask so the dog is kept as a pet and not upset by being pulled out of the pet owners home repeatedly. We all know how many posts we have seen from people unhappy that their dog is being torn away from them or being upset etc etc etc. In this case the breeder may be trying to make the best of the situation and trying very hard to keep both people happy. Obviously in this instance it has proven you can please everyone no matter how hard you try.

If I had the time and could take it off work and my bitch was going back to the breeder for a litter I would be there, tent or humpy. It would be such a valuable learning experience.

I have seen situations where litters have been bred and the bitch has stayed with the pet owner who have felt totally out of their depth and totally stressed about the whole thing and where it has been a complete disaster. If I was the breeder I would want the bitch home for the litter but would return her as soon as was possible.

I am describing the situation not to seek support for my feelings, I don't need the support of strangers online. The whole breeders terms thing is a scam that I will put up with once, to fulfill my contractual obligation, nothing more.

I don't understand why you would be expected to pay full price if she is on breeders terms. Be thankful it is only one litter and I hope it all goes smoothly for her. As for the tent offer.. :eek:

Breeding dogs without terms for this breed and several others is !0 to 15 thousand.

Panlu has already stated they paid full price so no need to pull figures out of thin air!

I am describing the situation not to seek support for my feelings, I don't need the support of strangers online. The whole breeders terms thing is a scam that I will put up with once, to fulfill my contractual obligation, nothing more.

I don't understand why you would be expected to pay full price if she is on breeders terms. Be thankful it is only one litter and I hope it all goes smoothly for her. As for the tent offer.. :eek:

Breeding dogs without terms for this breed and several others is !0 to 15 thousand.

Panlu has already stated they paid full price so no need to pull figures out of thin air!

Thats not figures out of thin air - she paid full price for a pet puppy not full price for a breeding puppy.

Thats not figures out of thin air - she paid full price for a pet puppy not full price for a breeding puppy.

so what breed is it Steve?

Oh, so according to you it costs an extra 12k for a breeding puppy?

The breeders I have bought from charge the same for pets as they do for show/breeding dogs.

If I had the time and could take it off work and my bitch was going back to the breeder for a litter I would be there, tent or humpy. It would be such a valuable learning experience.

This is me also. :D I got my dog outright after she had retired from breeding but if she had to ever go back for another litter (impossible now she's desexed) you bet I will be there, tent, sleeping bag, elbow deep in blood, poo, placentas and all. So much to learn and wisdom to gain!!!

Oh, so according to you it costs an extra 12k for a breeding puppy?

The breeders I have bought from charge the same for pets as they do for show/breeding dogs.

Yes according to me some breeders charge about 3 times the price of a companion pup for a breeding pup with no terms.

In fact I have witnessed this in the last few months.

I dont quite understand why you want to be so nasty - just because you had one experience in one breed with one breeder doesn't mean that all breeds and all breeders do the same as yours did.

Many breeders including ME charge more for a breeding dog

You assumed that paying companion price of $3000 was the same price that the breeding dogs cost and there fore its a bad breeder - no necessarily so.

Yes according to me some breeders charge about 3 times the price of a companion pup for a breeding pup with no terms.

I dont quite understand why you want to be so nasty - just because you had one experience in one breed with one breeder doesn't mean that all breeds and all breeders do the same as yours did.

You assumed that paying companion price of $3000 was the same price that the breeding dogs cost and there fore its a bad breeder - no necessarily so.

Who are you talking to :confused:

I will assume you are addressing me. If so you are assuming a huge amount, and you are assuming it all incorrectly. How is questioning you in a civil manner being nasty, I am not sure!

Before I bow out lest I get accused of calling breeders bad again (where did I do that?) or being nasty :confused: let me just say that sometimes the breeder DOES do the wrong thing, and sometimes buyers DO get a raw deal.

And, charging 3 times the price (although you initially said 5 times the price) for a breeding quality dog is a brave move considering things don't always work out as planned.

I will assume you are addressing me. If so you are assuming a huge amount, and you are assuming it all incorrectly. How is questioning you in a civil manner being nasty, I am not sure!

Before I bow out lest I get accused of calling breeders bad again (where did I do that?) or being nasty :confused: let me just say that sometimes the breeder DOES do the wrong thing, and sometimes buyers DO get a raw deal.

And, charging 3 times the price (although you initially said 5 times the price) for a breeding quality dog is a brave move considering things don't always work out as planned.

Yes sometimes breeders do the wrong thing but in this case there was an agreement made with ample opportunity for her to back out .Whether it was a fair price according to people who couldnt have a hope of knowing all of the reasons or details isnt relevant.Deal was made.

I would never take a dog on breeders terms and Ive never put one out on breeders terms .Ive always taken full price up front and if the buyer is successful with their breeding I buy a puppy or two from them but breeders terms is a common practice and every deal is different.

PS Its common to charge 3 times the price but in some breeds it is 5 times the price - some advertised right now actually for MORE than 5 times the pet price.

Edited by Steve

This is me also. :D I got my dog outright after she had retired from breeding but if she had to ever go back for another litter (impossible now she's desexed) you bet I will be there, tent, sleeping bag, elbow deep in blood, poo, placentas and all. So much to learn and wisdom to gain!!!

I have my Dog as a Co own, and i'm a very happy co owner;)

Next week she Will have her first litter at the breeders home, who is also a friend of mine and off course i Will Be there and i Will puppysit twice a week. Looking forward to it.

Everything we talk About, what shows we do together etc.. And i do hunting training with my Dog so no shows or a litter in the competition season;) thats all fine! And if everything Goes Well we do a second litter and then i Will keep one and i would do Co own with the breeder again cause i love this experience;) dont want a litter yet myself in my home so now i can learn everything