New Puppy A Christmas Gift Even When Still At Breeders ?

Dewclaws

Hi all .

I have not been on DOL for years.... use to come on when I got my female cairn terrier 10 years ago . I still have my two cairn terriers , Ruffles and smithy, both aged 12 and 10 and am excited that after many years planning I am getting a chocolate labrador in the first week of January . This pup will technically be My eldest daughter who is 12 but all the rest if the family is very excited .

Anyway next weekend we get to visit pup for the first time at 6 weeks . 4 days before Christmas . I thought it might be nice to buy a little gift for him. But then I thought it might cause fight within the litter . Then I though perhaps a treat for mum and all the pups . A pig ear or some other chewy treat maybe a big bag of smackos?

Perhaps the breeder might not like that though?

Thanks for any feed back!

A stuffed toy is generally fine and often a very good idea. The whole litter can play with it, but your pup can bring it home with the smells of its siblings on it. Provides comfort for the pup when it goes home. Be sure to get something puppy safe and washable. I have had people bring toys which I have sent home with the pups when they leave.They did ask me first.

Edited by espinay2

And you sleep with the soft toy for a day or two before giving it to your puppy - it will then have your scent on it and he'll be familiar with your scent when its time for him and his toy to come home with you. Friends did this with their schnauzer puppy - worked brilliantly! thumbsup1.gif

1449819124[/url]' post='6771599']

Hi all .

I have not been on DOL for years.... use to come on when I got my female cairn terrier 10 years ago . I still have my two cairn terriers , Ruffles and smithy, both aged 12 and 10 and am excited that after many years planning I am getting a chocolate labrador in the first week of January . This pup will technically be My eldest daughter who is 12 but all the rest if the family is very excited .

Anyway next weekend we get to visit pup for the first time at 6 weeks . 4 days before Christmas . I thought it might be nice to buy a little gift for him. But then I thought it might cause fight within the litter . Then I though perhaps a treat for mum and all the pups . A pig ear or some other chewy treat maybe a big bag of smackos?

Perhaps the breeder might not like that though?

Thanks for any feed back!

Who's your breeder DC? I'd go for toys; perhaps one that can come home with pup with the litter smells.

We still have out toys and blankies that came home with our two chockie labs; they love them.

Kyketami kennels is our breeder .

Looks like I might not get up to visit like I wanted to , this weekend I will be flat out working . I might send a toy and treats in the mail though . I get to pick him up in the first week of January anyway . Not much longer !

As a breeder we don't take on toys / blankets & treats .

It ends up more work because puppies will be puppies & we generally use toys we now are suitable for all ,can be washed easy & not fall apart in the machine because pups are grubs and you are forever washing stuff daily .

You now what why not when you pick pup up give them a small token of your appreciation for all the time & effort they have put in over Christmas & the New Year ,pups put a hold on your celebrations ,as its non stop washing.cleaning,training & keeping cool