A Few Questions Re: Routine / Annual Vet Check Ups

So... Just an update:

As a few posts have said - No heartworm/ing required for us - which is great.

The Jury is out on on how to pronounce titre - looks like both are acceptable.

I'm still undecided on the club / vet thing. Need more time - which I have as he doesn't need to be heartwormed in a matter of days now.

As for the titre testing - I called one vet they said no, I called another they said they'd have to call me back, then I popped into the uni clinic and they also said they'd need to get back to me. They got back to me today and said:

They can only do Parvo and Distemper tests - they cant test for Hep or the other commonly vaccinated diseases.

It would have to be sent away (even though we have a vet pathology lab in town)

It would cost me $160 for the two tests + the consult

So I'm undecided on the titre test - I don't have a strong opinion on it - I just thought I'd try it out now were here & settled but it's looking a bit too complicated. Maybe I'll just have his jabs done.

New Zealand

Normal Vacc Vanguard 5 lasts for three years & most good / modern boarding kennels are OK with that.

plus Annual Kennel Cough for Boarding kennels.

NO Paralysis ticks. NO Heart worm. No snakes :)

Fleas seem to be world wide.

Comfortis and Nextgard available often cheaper online .. http://www.myvet.co.nz/dog.html?p=8

Best.

Edited by Ashka

New Zealand

Normal Vacc Vanguard 5 lasts for three years & most good / modern boarding kennels are OK with that.

plus Annual Kennel Cough for Boarding kennels.

NO Paralysis ticks. NO Heart worm. No snakes :)

Fleas seem to be world wide.

Comfortis and Nextgard available often cheaper online .. http://www.myvet.co.nz/dog.html?p=8

Best.

Really? Wow. & thank you!

I know it's my responsibility to research this stuff - but this is the kind of info which would have been amazing to receive from the pet transport people too. It's funny on the surface NZ and home seem very similar and there are some very obvious differences - but there are some more subtle differences too.

... So he last had a c5 just on 12 months ago - maybe I don't need to have him vaccinated soon either... Everything's coming up Scottsmum...

Edited by Scottsmum

workcocker, I'm interested in what makes you suggest getting leptospirosis vac, given that as I understand it, that is a fairly problematic vac, with a higher adverse effect rate.

NZ summers are warm and can be damp. NZ also has rats. I personally would be vaccinating against lepto.

You don't need heartworm in NZ. It is not present there - relates to temperature.

Most of NZ is similar temperature to east coast NSW. Auckland is the same as Sydney roughly. Invercargill is cold but not as cold as Canberra.

None of NZ gets as hot as Adelaide...

So do I get my dog heart worm or not?

I thought it was more about mozzies. And Australia - anywhere there is water - I've found mozzies. Or they find me.

the larvae in the mosquito need a very specific temperature profile: it needs 2 weeks of temperature at or above 27 deg C and will die if the temperature drops below 14 deg C during this period....so one colder night in these 14 days and there is no risk. Hence I administer heartworm drugs only in summer here in the Illawarra.

You don't need heartworm in NZ. It is not present there - relates to temperature.

Most of NZ is similar temperature to east coast NSW. Auckland is the same as Sydney roughly. Invercargill is cold but not as cold as Canberra.

None of NZ gets as hot as Adelaide...

So do I get my dog heart worm or not?

I thought it was more about mozzies. And Australia - anywhere there is water - I've found mozzies. Or they find me.

There are Mossies in NZ ~ The mossie has to bite an infected dog before it can transfer the heart worm larva to your dog.

There are NO infected dogs in New Zealand so NO Heart Worm.

Edited by Ashka

• 1 month later...

Quick update.

Finally made it to the vet today.

I) The vet laughed (in a friendly way) when I mentioned the heartworm. We had a student vet in with us too - he looked genuinely surprised when I mentioned that HW and vax protocols were different in NZ compared to Oz.

II) We vaccinated for Lepto and he had a kennel cough booster - they were the two he recommended keeping topped up - and he only said we needed the KC because I said we "might" board. So that's done.

III) not mentioned in this post - but our anxiety drugs are much cheaper here (yay)

IV) Scottie has a lump which was worrying me - looks like it's just an old man fatty lump (phew)

V) It was really cheap. I was paying about $45 for one packet (50) of our anxiety medications in Sydney's inner west. I just paid $16 for 100 tabs. Two boosters, a fine needle aspiration + the meds only came to $105 - for which I am very grateful!

I love how NZ seems so much cheaper than Oz...

Even my favourite oz wine was 30 to 50% cheaper in NZ. What is with that?

I think it's a real mixed bag.

Min wage is about $14.75 here, not $16.87 it is at home. That's a bit of a difference over a week.

We're finding the cost of food to be more expensive on the whole. But there is more range - a lot more imported from the states (I think) and a lot more parallel imports. When I was here for last easter I did a hand basket full of shopping (admittedly in the wellington CBD area) and it cost about $70 - which blew me away. I can't remember exact contents but it was bread, milk, eggs, butter, tea, bacon, maybe a few other things.

We have family who grow cattle and they've said they could not afford to eat meat if they didn't kill their own beasts.

We only shop at the cheap supermarkets - can't afford countdown (which is woolies). And last week I actually had leave a few things (non-essentials) and put things back on the shelf (I was going to do some baking) so i could grab bread and milk and finish the shopping.

I needed to see a GP and get a script filled yesterday - took me 4 attempts to find a doctor who took walk ins - then I had to pay a casual fee, you can enroll which gets you a cheaper fee and gives you the ability to make appointments - but that can't be done on the spot. So I paid $70 for the casual visit- which was $20 more than the enrolled patient fee and then took myself off to the chemist to get the script filled - dreading what they were going to charge, after a trip to the vet and the doctor all in one day - and they only charged me $5 for 6 months worth of pills.

Also find that the cost of second hand goods and cars is astronomical - I was a very active member of free cycle at home and bought and sold on gumtree, facebook and ebay a lot.

Over here, ebay is almost not used at all and the second hand sites are a sellers market - lots of old second hand stuff going for crazy prices. the facebook buy swap and sell sites are basically full of small businesses pushing their goods - lots of lawn mowers, couriers, Avon and Jamberry - - people trying to make ends meet. I've seen 2 things listed on free cycle since I've been here. Sure, I think some of it is that I view things from the perspective of a sydney sider - but our town has about 90,000 people - it could sustain a good free cycle and cheaper second hand market - and we're not alone - another set of rellies commented that trade me (the local version of gumtree) is great if you're selling but terrible if you're looking to buy.

Food choices in NZ are generally broader than here where there is a lot of domination of private label. You also find more boutique or small producer products on the shelf in mainstream supermarkets. Butchers are also a lot more common and I've found butcher vs butcher to be a lot cheaper in NZ and the meat much better vs here.

GPs - walk in doctors are simply not common there as there is no concept of bulk billing like here. I remember moving here and thinking wow walk in clinics.

Cars - prices in NZ are cheaper on the whole as the country allows Japanese imports. I was horrified when I moved here at the high cost of cars, then add stamp duty etc. Whitegoods got more expensive when they stopped local manufacturing.

No one I know in NZ uses eBay. Everyone uses TradeMe. Mind you - I barely know anyone left in AU that uses eBay too!