Has Anyone Used Peptopsyl

sueang

Hi Has anyone tried & used Peptosyl, My boy gets Acid Reflux from the Helicobacter-Pylori in his stomach & I've read that Bismuth Salicylate helps kill the Helicobacter in the stomach lining where the antibiotics can't get to & the Helicobacter gets a resistance to the antibiotics, I bought some Peptosyl online & it came today but it smells like vicks that you rub on ur chest, the chemist man looked up Bismuth Salicylate & said it has asprin in it...

Patches Vet has pretty much said it works then use it, I ended helping the vet find a gluten free Australian kibble Meals For Mutts for her girl that has Colitis & skin problems & her dog is doing really well now, Patch done 3 vets head in as he didn't respond to all their medications, made him worse, if the Peptosyl works then vet can recommend to her other Helicobacter dogs instead of keeping them on Metronidazole (Flagyl)....

Hi Has anyone tried & used Peptosyl, My boy gets Acid Reflux from the Helicobacter-Pylori in his stomach & I've read that Bismuth Salicylate helps kill the Helicobacter in the stomach lining where the antibiotics can't get to & the Helicobacter gets a resistance to the antibiotics, I bought some Peptosyl online & it came today but it smells like vicks that you rub on ur chest, the chemist man looked up Bismuth Salicylate & said it has asprin in it...

...some light reading: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/labs/simpson/docs/NeigerSimpson.pdf

from the linked study:

• H.Pylori is normally not prevalent in dogs,
  • while other Helicobacter species are prevalent in over 70% of the dogs (without causing health issues);
  • the conclusion, that the H.spp causes the health issues is very difficult to verify - other causes seem to be more likely;
  • it is very difficult to eradicate, and if, reinfection is highly likely;

treating for H.Pylori might do more damage than good....

I have used it over many years to treat dogs when they get loose motions, works a treat for that.

I would definitely be changing your vet, you need someone with more experience, self diagnosing is not a good thing, you could do more harm than good, find another vet before starting to give this too your dog.

The Peptosyl that my vet has smells more like peppermint and is pink in colour.

I have used it over many years to treat dogs when they get loose motions, works a treat for that.

I would definitely be changing your vet, you need someone with more experience, self diagnosing is not a good thing, you could do more harm than good, find another vet before starting to give this too your dog.

Scour ban is pink. Could that be the product. Has been off the market for some time but is back on now.

Scour ban is pink. Could that be the product. Has been off the market for some time but is back on now.

yes- that did sound a lot like scourban :)

...some light reading: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/labs/simpson/docs/NeigerSimpson.pdf

from the linked study:

• while other Helicobacter species are prevalent in over 70% of the dogs (without causing health issues);
  • the conclusion, that the H.spp causes the health issues is very difficult to verify - other causes seem to be more likely;

Patch had Endoscope & Biopsies done & Diagnosis was: Moderate to Chronic Lymphocytic Gastritis with associated spiral bacteria infection... the vet Patch sees specializes in IBD & he said if he were to find 5 dogs off the street & do Endoscope & biopsies they would all come back positive with the Helicobacter, some dogs have no symptoms while other dogs have symptoms, acid reflux, pain in their abdomen, ulcers, feeling hungry all the time, vomiting, eating grass, depression etc.... I've done so much research on dogs & humans suffering with Helicobacter-Pylori... I've had ulcers from the Helicobacter 3 times when I was young & I was put on a Pump Proton Inhibitor PPI (Somac)in the end a drug Patches vet would not give Patch long term cause you can't just stop taking a PPI after being on it for 1 month....He said I can give Patch the Losec or Somac for 2-4 days to settle the acid but I must stop...I've been on a PPI for 13 years now & when I try to stop I have serve stomach pain, so I understand what the vets is talking about with PPI's, doctors don't try & find the problem just give you drugs... so I understand why Patch vet wont prescribe repeat scripts..

He put Patch on a gluten free vet diet Royal Canine Sensitivity Control it's the only Gluten free vet diet but after doing research Beet Pulp helps feed the Helicobacter, a lot of vet diets have beet pulp in them... Patch did the best when eating "Meals For Mutts" Salmon & Sardines Brown rice & veggies, I'd love to try the Grain Free MfM but Patch can't have high fat kibbles :( I can't find the study done on rats, where the Bismuth Salicylate killed the Helicobacter in the rats stomach lining...even in the human study the Bismuth Salicylate killed the Helicobacter & stopped it returning when given with triple therapy Metronidazole, Amoxicillin, Losec had good results...

Vets are still learning & trying to find out what drugs work the best & what diet is the best...I've even tried Raw Diet with No Carbs but Patch kept regurgitating the raw into mouth then swallowing & swallowing then getting Acid Reflux aaaaaaaaarrrrrrhhhhhhh.. I now see the lady vet at the same practice cause Patch other vet Simon is always booked out & does a lot of surgery.... Patches lady vet is more into holistic side of things & doesn't push drugs, her Helicobacter dogs are on low dose Metronidazole the Metronidazole seems to keep the Helicobacter low & the dogs don't have any symptoms...but she is OK when I say no to the Metronidazole & lets me try new things, I suppose they're learning off Patch, he's been a really hard case, he was a rescue that was used for breeding...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3925860/

Oakway I know that Scourban is pink but so is the Peptosyl that I get from my vet.

Scourban is too drastic for young puppies that is why he prescribes Peptosyl which as I said before is also pink.

My Peptosyl was white but came from the chemist not the vet. I was just concerned that you may have been given scourban instead of Peptosyl.

yes- that did sound a lot like scourban :)

It say's Peptosyl on black plastic bottle & was bought from Vet-Pet Direct & use by date is 2017...I even tasted some, it's very mild, I'll have to try it & see how Patch goes..

Oakway I know that Scourban is pink but so is the Peptosyl that I get from my vet.

Scourban is too drastic for young puppies that is why he prescribes Peptosyl which as I said before is also pink.

My Peptosyl was white but came from the chemist not the vet. I was just concerned that you may have been given scourban instead of Peptosyl.

Which chemist sells Peptopsyl? I asked chemist & they don't sell any ant acid medication with Bismuth Salicylate in it.....

from the linked study:

Patch had Endoscope & Biopsies done & Diagnosis was: Moderate to Chronic Lymphocytic Gastritis with associated spiral bacteria infection... the vet Patch sees specializes in IBD & he said if he were to find 5 dogs off the street & do Endoscope & biopsies they would all come back positive with the Helicobacter, some dogs have no symptoms while other dogs have symptoms, acid reflux, pain in their abdomen, ulcers, feeling hungry all the time, vomiting, eating grass, depression etc.... I've done so much research on dogs & humans suffering with Helicobacter-Pylori... I've had ulcers from the Helicobacter 3 times when I was young & I was put on a Pump Proton Inhibitor PPI (Somac)in the end a drug Patches vet would not give Patch long term cause you can't just stop taking a PPI after being on it for 1 month....He said I can give Patch the Losec or Somac for 2-4 days to settle the acid but I must stop...I've been on a PPI for 13 years now & when I try to stop I have serve stomach pain, so I understand what the vets is talking about with PPI's, doctors don't try & find the problem just give you drugs... so I understand why Patch vet wont prescribe repeat scripts..

He put Patch on a gluten free vet diet Royal Canine Sensitivity Control it's the only Gluten free vet diet but after doing research Beet Pulp helps feed the Helicobacter, a lot of vet diets have beet pulp in them... Patch did the best when eating "Meals For Mutts" Salmon & Sardines Brown rice & veggies, I'd love to try the Grain Free MfM but Patch can't have high fat kibbles :( I can't find the study done on rats, where the Bismuth Salicylate killed the Helicobacter in the rats stomach lining...even in the human study the Bismuth Salicylate killed the Helicobacter & stopped it returning when given with triple therapy Metronidazole, Amoxicillin, Losec had good results...

Vets are still learning & trying to find out what drugs work the best & what diet is the best...I've even tried Raw Diet with No Carbs but Patch kept regurgitating the raw into mouth then swallowing & swallowing then getting Acid Reflux aaaaaaaaarrrrrrhhhhhhh.. I now see the lady vet at the same practice cause Patch other vet Simon is always booked out & does a lot of surgery.... Patches lady vet is more into holistic side of things & doesn't push drugs, her Helicobacter dogs are on low dose Metronidazole the Metronidazole seems to keep the Helicobacter low & the dogs don't have any symptoms...but she is OK when I say no to the Metronidazole & lets me try new things, I suppose they're learning off Patch, he's been a really hard case, he was a rescue that was used for breeding...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3925860/

so the vet didn't diagnose Pylori!!!...they just found the normal H.spp nearly every dog has. You had H.Pylori that caused your ulcers, but you can't compare this to what the H.spp might (or might not) cause in your dog.

I would be very concerned to bombard my dog with heavy drugs that will definitely cause some kind of unbalanced metabolism just to fight something like H.spp that she will pick up anyway literally everywhere.

Edited by Willem

Which chemist sells Peptopsyl? I asked chemist & they don't sell any ant acid medication with Bismuth Salicylate in it.....

The vet didn't have it he told me to go to the chemist and get it. ????? was a few years back now. But I kept it in the fridge for a couple of years. I never had any further use for it so I threw it out.

Edited by oakway