Animal Charities Worth Donating To

Dave-o

I would support donations to Team Dog, who assist people whose dogs have been targeted by Breed Specific Legislation, help people to get their dogs out of the pound and back in to their home when dire financial situations could mean they are unable to reclaim their pet, support people having a hard time to hang on to their pets instead of surrendering them, work to change for the better how councils and pounds operate and provide enrichment programs for impounded animals. http://www.teamdog.com.au

Thank you Snook! <3

Dave-O we (Team Dog) are a young charity but we have achieved a lot in our short time. Last year we kept 98 pets out of the pounds in NSW and with the families who love then, as well as providing extensive advice and support to pet owners subject to breed specific legislation and other council action.

We ran two free microchipping events, and helped with low cost desexing surgery for many clients, too.

We support positive and reasonable animal management and we work alongside many pounds and shelters in achieving our goals, and do a lot of advocacy work too.

Funds are extremely important to what we do, and given the uniqueness of our programs we had overwhelming demand for our help in 2015. We have had to temporarily shut down financial assistance while we lay the foundations for sustainability long in to the future. Regular donations are a huge part of that and we are very appreciative of any donations people may choose to make. No pressure of course, there's so many wonderful charities around that deserve support.

You can find out more about us here:

Www.teamdog.com.au

Www.facebook.com/theteamdog

You should note that you only help people in NSW.

She did say NSW. I'm in SA but still support Team Dog because I'd love to see what they do either expand to other states or be adopted by people/groups in other states.

Only help not located. There's a difference. And by helping Team Dog you are not in any way assisting the formation of a similar group anywhere else.

Well, it would be logical to think that they're located in the state that they help. I think that the more support that Team Dog get, the more they can do to help people and pets and the more that word will get out about them. The more people who are aware of what they do, the greater the chance of someone realising it can be done and wanting to initiate something similar in their own state. Even if that never happens, I still love the work that they do and will continue to support them.

Thanks Snook :)

The long term goal of Team Dog is to expand to having a branch in every state (our mission statement is creating a safe, humane Australia), which can't happen without becoming extremely financially secure in the current NSW/ACT model (plus plenty of other stuff obviously, but without money it is impossible). So donations, particularly regular donations rather than one-offs, can make an impact and help us reach that goal.

Clearly that isn't something that is going to happen overnight though, so I understand totally if people in other states would like to support a locally based charity with different programs to ours.

You're right about word getting out, too. because our programs are quite unique here in Oz and have been very successful, it had generated a lot of interest and talk about our approach. I was invited to speak at the G2Z conference as well as the business of saving lives conference just recently in Sydney. I presented to a national audience on why pet retention is so important and the results that can be achieved if we start focusing on it a lot more. Lots of interstate shelters and rescues were very interested and came up to me afterwards to ask questions etc and hopefully some will now be working on implementing even small changes to help in the area they service. I always provide my contact info and am happy to help them where I can.

Edited by melzawelza

I would support donations to Team Dog, who assist people whose dogs have been targeted by Breed Specific Legislation, help people to get their dogs out of the pound and back in to their home when dire financial situations could mean they are unable to reclaim their pet, support people having a hard time to hang on to their pets instead of surrendering them, work to change for the better how councils and pounds operate and provide enrichment programs for impounded animals. http://www.teamdog.com.au

Thank you Snook! <3

Dave-O we (Team Dog) are a young charity but we have achieved a lot in our short time. Last year we kept 98 pets out of the pounds in NSW and with the families who love then, as well as providing extensive advice and support to pet owners subject to breed specific legislation and other council action.

We ran two free microchipping events, and helped with low cost desexing surgery for many clients, too.

We support positive and reasonable animal management and we work alongside many pounds and shelters in achieving our goals, and do a lot of advocacy work too.

Funds are extremely important to what we do, and given the uniqueness of our programs we had overwhelming demand for our help in 2015. We have had to temporarily shut down financial assistance while we lay the foundations for sustainability long in to the future. Regular donations are a huge part of that and we are very appreciative of any donations people may choose to make. No pressure of course, there's so many wonderful charities around that deserve support.

You can find out more about us here:

Www.teamdog.com.au

Www.facebook.com/theteamdog

You should note that you only help people in NSW.

She did say NSW. I'm in SA but still support Team Dog because I'd love to see what they do either expand to other states or be adopted by people/groups in other states.

Only help not located. There's a difference. And by helping Team Dog you are not in any way assisting the formation of a similar group anywhere else.

Well, it would be logical to think that they're located in the state that they help. I think that the more support that Team Dog get, the more they can do to help people and pets and the more that word will get out about them. The more people who are aware of what they do, the greater the chance of someone realising it can be done and wanting to initiate something similar in their own state. Even if that never happens, I still love the work that they do and will continue to support them.

I'm in VIC and Mel has also provided the rescue I work with with advice, where she can. Things like possible avenues to try, approaches that might work when reasoning with council. Just having someone who is experienced and confident in negotiating with councils who we can contact is useful.

I have also donated to them even though I live interstate.

Just my 2c.

I'll be checking out some of the other charities also mentioned in this topic as well, I hadn't heard of a number of them.

<3

One day when we expand I'll really sit down and learn all your legislation (or get someone on board down there who already knows it) and will be able to be much more helpful! So glad that what advice I can give has been useful though.

Chihuahua Rescue Queensland

Bit OT, but I'm so glad you support this group (among others).

They not only take in Chi's & Chi crosses of all ages, including the elderly, but also what they call Honorary Chihuahuas. They presently have the cutest, tiniest elderly bloke who makes a milk carton look big. Name, Archie, who's some kind of Yorkie X. Recently they had a Sheltie,

They have vet nurses in their management, so dogs rescued in awful condition are nursed back to health amazingly.

I do a happy dance if a Tibbie gets into their hands.

I follow them on FB, Mita, where I have often stated that it is a very good thing I live in Sydney as I'd probably have far too many dogs than is good for me or them :D :D

Ah ha! So you'll know Archie! Bet you're doubly glad you live in Sydney after one look at him. :)

Another good thing about Chi Rescue Qld is that they take little ones in dire circumstances from places interstate where there's no other immediate help. Like dear little creatures from Alice Springs, Darwin & northern NSW. But you'll know that from their FB page.

Chihuahua Rescue Queensland

Bit OT, but I'm so glad you support this group (among others).

They not only take in Chi's & Chi crosses of all ages, including the elderly, but also what they call Honorary Chihuahuas. They presently have the cutest, tiniest elderly bloke who makes a milk carton look big. Name, Archie, who's some kind of Yorkie X. Recently they had a Sheltie,

They have vet nurses in their management, so dogs rescued in awful condition are nursed back to health amazingly.

I do a happy dance if a Tibbie gets into their hands.

I follow them on FB, Mita, where I have often stated that it is a very good thing I live in Sydney as I'd probably have far too many dogs than is good for me or them :D :D

Ah ha! So you'll know Archie! Bet you're doubly glad you live in Sydney after one look at him. :)

Another good thing about Chi Rescue Qld is that they take little ones in dire circumstances from places interstate where there's no other immediate help. Like dear little creatures from Alice Springs, Darwin & northern NSW. But you'll know that from their FB page.

I certainly did see Archie and Danny threatened to leave home if I headed north :laugh:

If you are interested in supporting groups overseas then these guys seem worthy. They care for street animals in India and some are in such dire circumstances you can't imagine how they are still alive. Even more intriguing is how they do everything in Third World style - they operate outdoors and don't have any fancy catch poles or cages or other shelter paraphenalia. I will be donating to them because I appreciate what they achieve for animals that would otherwise die horrible deaths in silence. http://animalaidunlimited.org/