Cavalier King Charles Right For Us?

Tint

1457937523[/url]' post='6796231']

Oh yes they shed! But it's not like prickly short hair of some breeds that sticks into clothing.

I find my two red ones shed most, the ruby and the Blenheim, maybe it's just me, but my Tri and BT's drop so much less hair. And it's not just that I don't see it, even when brushed their hair doesn't come out near as much.

Have you ever found a difference Gretel? I was just curious laugh.gif maybe I'm crazy. Could be just their individual hair type too.

Sorry, off topic...

Edited by denali

1457954425[/url]' post='6796296']

I love all the info! So what is the worst part about being owned by a Cav? I vacuum a lot, so the hair doesn't worry me...

They are really good at making you feel guilty. Guilty for eating and not sharing, guilty for leaving, guilty for sitting at your desk doing work.. It's the eyes!

Kokoda is really good at telling me it's time to go for a walk too. Will just come and stare at me laugh.gif

And forget doing anything alone ever again. They'll be there laugh.gif mine love to "help" make the bed, by sitting exactly where I need to put the sheet on. But they are great little dogs :)Whilst I plan on a larger dog next time around, I will always have a cav or two in my life

One plus is that I have taught kokoda to help with the gardening, he pulls out weeds and digs holes where I point so I can plant things. He also used to round up my chooks for me until they learnt to put themselves to bed. He's very useful biggrin.gif

Though he is obsessive when it comes to geckos.. Sits and stares at them on the wall forever. The others seem to be a bit more normal!

Edited by denali

1457937523[/url]' post='6796231']

Oh yes they shed! But it's not like prickly short hair of some breeds that sticks into clothing.

I find my two red ones shed most, the ruby and the Blenheim, maybe it's just me, but my Tri and BT's drop so much less hair. And it's not just that I don't see it, even when brushed their hair doesn't come out near as much.

Have you ever found a difference Gretel? I was just curious laugh.gif maybe I'm crazy. Could be just their individual hair type too.

Sorry, off topic...

Ruby hair abounds but they do outnumber my only Black and Tan :laugh:

Should I consider an English Cocker? I do love them, but am worried I might end up with a crazy one lol. I assume a cocker would need more exercise than a Cav KC... Are there any other big differences?

Should I consider an English Cocker? I do love them, but am worried I might end up with a crazy one lol. I assume a cocker would need more exercise than a Cav KC... Are there any other big differences?

They are very energetic and lively dogs. They are also larger and require regular grooming :)

I do know a few crazy, and some with iffy temperaments- but they weren't from a breeder so likely why.

On the whole they are good dogs - i know a few who do agility :)

They would be something to consider, and if you do visit a dog show you'd be able to compare and contrast the two breeds there

Yes do be careful of temperaments. They should be happy, friendly dogs but I've met some timid and nasty ones :(

I adopted a cocker from work. She's three and a pretty good dog. I've had her 9 months and she's starting to come out of her shell more. I'm her fourth home, which is through no fault of her own, it's due to people disposable pet mentalities.

She is obedient and really wants to please. Tries very hard. I don't think anyone has ever taught her to play. It's only been the last month or two that she has shown any interest in playing. We have a game of fetch a couple of times a day. She's only just started lounging outside of her crate. Now prefers sleeping near me, so that is good.

When she plays, used to happen with me and still happens with other dogs, she sounds extremely vicious. No hackles, no snarling face it's just the noise she makes. Can be off putting for other owners at park, which is understandable.

She has been a godsend with the puppy.

I don't find she loses much hair at all, but I strip the coat out 4-6 weekly. Biggest issue is keeping hair between pads trimmed so she doesn't get mats. After a few months of a friend doing them I bought clippers. She is excellent to clip, so I practised on her before doing the pups' paws.

I comb her weekly and have just started slicker brushing of an evening. It's not a thorough going over, only takes five mins. Combing maybe 20mins. Full groom with strip and clip - takes a couple of hours for both dogs. That will probably get quicker as I get more comfortable with how to do it.

I've got a really handy grooming book - Theory of Five - that outlines how to groom various types of dogs.

Hi Tint :)

I have been a CKCS owner for many years now. Have owned 4. Currently we have 2 (Recently gave our eldest one 'Renae' her wingscrying.gif) Everything about them is beautiful but i am biased as i love this breed passionately.

Like people, Cavaliers all have their different personalities and quirks and levels of motivation. I have mostly wanted them to be a companion easy going dog (as i have chronic health issues) , Our current two Cavaliers if I had good health I would have loved to have done dog obedience/agility with them as they are quite active and have been very easy to train. We do have a big back yard and they still get enough physical and mental stimulation.

Our current 2 Cavs have complete different temperaments to our last two :) I have known many Cavaliers that compete successfully in obedience/agility and other dog sports.

All ours have come from registered and ethical breeders except one of our current Cavaliers 'Toby' as he was rehomed to us from a friend of a friend. I suspect he was bred by a BYB but touch wood he hasn't had any health issues yet and he has a brilliant temperament.

I still strongly advocate researching the breed and making sure you try to find a registered and ethical breeder. Always try to meet the breeder's dogs if possible. Make sure they do all the appropriate health tests. This does not guarantee you will give a Cav without any future health issues (no dog can be guaranteed that) but it still better to try to find a healthy line as possible to lessen the risks.

Most are wonderful family dogs. Our last 2 cavs weren't overly friendly with kids as my husband and I don't have children so they didn't have that environment but most i know are fantastic around children. Our current 2 nothing seems to faze them. They are virtually bombproof with everything! :)

Re losing hair. We have always had hairy clothes and hairy furniture with all ours but then i have owned dogs for most of my life and its just the norm for me lol They do tend to collect stick and prickles easily, just sticks to them! You can trim them and brush them to keep it down. Some people get them clipped all over but we have never done that as they have a coat for a reason but each to their own. Our Toby has a fairly short coat for a Cav so he's been the easiest one we have owned to groom and not leave as much hair around on everything.

Re snout length. Both our last 2 had short snouts (it was how their lines were bred) One of them did have fair bit of issues with snorting (reverse sneezing) but was mostly manageable. Our current 2 have longer snouts. I believe the original Cavaliers years ago had longer snouts.

We have had mostly Blenheims colour Cavaliers but Miah is my first Tri colour Cavalier. I had wanted one in that colour for years . Its often said the different colours have different personalities. I had been told the Tris are very mischievous and in my own experience they are lol but in a good way ! :)

They are supposed to be outgoing and not fearful but there's a always some that aren't and can be bit on the timid side.

And theres a reason they call them Love Sponges ! biggrin.gif

We belong to the Cavalier Club of South Australia and they put on 2 fun days a year for us pet owners and its a great way to meet other owners and breeders in an informal way. Its how we met Miah's breeder (our youngest one) :)

All the best with getting your dog of your dreams, which ever breed you end up settling on .

Miah, Toby and Renae

post-11918-0-16484400-1458085331_thumb.jpg

Our current 2 Toby and Miah

post-11918-0-05668900-1458085387_thumb.jpg

Joey which was Renae's son. Unfortunaly he only made it to 9 years old as he developed an aggressive brain tumour (which could have happened to any breed of dog)

post-11918-0-44787000-1458085685_thumb.jpg

Ps There's also a 101 breed subforum on DOL you can check out too for different breeds.

this is the link to the Cavalier one

http://www.dolforums...harles-spaniel/

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Thank you Jules, I was hoping you would check in! Awesome info, I really appreciate it xxx

Sorry to hear you have recently lost gorgeous Renae. Your pups are beautiful.

Edited by Tint