Groomer Questions - How To Find One To Trust

Katdogs

II'm an irregular user of grooming services since our old malt-shih passed in, because the big dogs are pretty well wash-and-wear. Stevie however is shedding like never before and I'd like to get her stripped/brushed out. But I've heard so many horror stories about leaving an older dog. Anywhere recommended in Sydney's inner west, or places I should steer clear of? What should I ask about or look out for when I walk in?

PM if it's negative perhaps.

I'm booked with Maru Maru.

Edited by Katdogs

Find a mobile groomer that can do what you want. Ask when you call them.

Stay with your dog while it is being done & if you don't like the way it is handled or the way anything is done stop them immediately.

Some groomers do not like the owner being present saying it will behave better if the owner is not there. It can also be disciplined any way if the owner is not there.

This may be true of some dogs but a good groomer will do your dog with you present anyway.

There is not really any way of looking out for anything when you walk in that will give you much clue about how your dog is handled.

You could just buy a mars coat king and strip her out yourself. It's really easy to do. Just be prepared for a LOT of hair. I do my two (cocker and westie) about every four - six weeks. Last time the westie puppy lost way more hair than the cocker. You can tell when they need to be done. The coats look lighter and frizzy on the cocker or chunky on the westie.

I reckon if you ring up and ask them if you can wait while the dog is done they can give you a time where they can get a wash done pretty quickly and then you don't have to worry - I don't know what breed you have.

We used to groom an ancient dog and I always wanted her owners to stay because we did her straight away to get her out of there in case she carked it! And then we had owners travel interstate to see us so we did their 3 dogs first thing so they could get back home.

I think if you can feel that the groomer is being accommodating that's a good sign

I would ring around and get a feel for the groomer find someone that is accommodating, personally I would stay away from mobiles.

Ask if you can wait around but out of your dogs eyesight, some dogs behave ok with their owners around but majority don't, it can make doing them much more difficult and potentially a dangerous situation, it is also confusing for a dog to have to listen to an unfamiliar person while their owner is there.

Katdogs, there used to be a woman in Burwood called Reigning Cats and Dogs, I think. Her name was Maureen - forgotten last name sorry. Good friend of Denise at PAWS, who would be able to tell you if she was still operating.

ETA: Looked up my old contacts. Years old so no idea if current:

Maureen Pollard

9744 8432

0416 189 904

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

Thanks everyone who commented or messaged.

Stevie is a Lab x Goldie and has scored just about a triple coat. It takes ages for her to actually get wet to the skin, then drying naturally can take a couple of days. She's been shedding in chunks and although the rake is pulling out lots, there's always more!

I couldn't find any bad reviews of Maru Maru and on the way along the street (had to park miles away, it's between two schools so busy) I ran into two dogs, both of them live within walking distance and both are long term customers. They had only good things to say. The shop has double-gates and other barriers, although built for much littler dogs than Stevie, so there's thought there for safety. The woman who met us doesn't have brilliant people skills (my husband commented the same when I picked up Stevie later) but was good with Stevie and another staffer came in behind us and was very nice. They took note carefully on their form about arthritis, her hot spot and ear problem history, and that she can do high-five and shake so is easy to manage. Stevie was very happy to be left with them.

She came home clean and shiny, without any undercoat felting/matting, and very prancy and happy with her dinky neck scarf. No problems today with moving or ears, so it's worked out well.