Too Much Water?

We have a nearly 4 mth old German Spitz pup. I'm a bit concerned about how much he drinks and wee's. We have a big container of water out the back door (we have 2 other dogs) so its always accessible. I'm not sure if he's just drinking it cos it's there or if it's his kibble. He will make special trips through the doggy door to drink (not to wee or poo though ) and every time i take him out for toilet he has big drinks. Any ideas? Should he be checked out by a vet? Or am i reading too much into it?

Thank you :D

Yes, you should get it checked by the vet. He may be drinking a completely normal amount of water, especially if he is being fed dry food or if he is hot, but drinking and urinating a lot can sometimes be a sign of an underlying health problem. A condition my dog has was picked up early by my concern about his water intake and output when he had no other symptoms of his illness. If nothing else, it will put your mind at ease. :)

It would help your vet if you can be specific about the amount of water your puppy is drinking as what's "a lot" to one person is different to another, but with two other dogs I imagine that wouldn't be easy to do. Perhaps take note of how much water is being put out daily (coordinate with other family members) and how much your puppy drinks in comparison to your other dogs.

Edited by Papillon Kisses

Unless he is urinating a LOT and very often .. I wouldn't panic .

he is young, very active,and on dry food . he also has a decent coat , so would be warm .

yes, by all means ask the vet - but NEVER restrict water unless it is to benefit a diagnosed condition .

:)

Yes, you should get it checked by the vet. He may be drinking a completely normal amount of water, especially if he is being dry food or if he is hot, but drinking and urinating a lot can sometimes be a sign of an underlying health problem. A condition my dog has was picked up early by my concern about his water intake and output when he had no other symptoms of his illness. If nothing else, it will put your mind at ease. :)

It would help your vet if you can be specific about the amount of water your puppy is drinking as what's "a lot" to one person is different to another, but with two other dogs I imagine that wouldn't be easy to do. Perhaps take note of how much water is being put out daily (coordinate with other family members) and how much your puppy drinks in comparison to your other dogs.

Thank you Papillon Kisses. I'll take note of what he drinks and when he pees! So hard to know whats normal ????

Unless he is urinating a LOT and very often .. I wouldn't panic .

he is young, very active,and on dry food . he also has a decent coat , so would be warm .

yes, by all means ask the vet - but NEVER restrict water unless it is to benefit a diagnosed condition .

:)

Thanks Peresphone :thumbsup: ! As i don't feed my other dogs kibble i wasn't sure if thats a factor. Think I'll start a bit of a diary. Didn't think about the long hair either

My youngster is wildly active and drinks like a fish. She runs so hard I've seen her bark in frustration and exhaustion when she's lying on the pavers recovering and I won't let her chase her Mama - very crazy girl! So it's knowing what's normal for her. She had a couple of UTIs but she was squatting and straining really regularly so it was straight to the vet. I never restrict water.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

My youngster is wildly active and drinks like a fish. She runs so hard I've seen her bark in frustration and exhaustion when she's lying on the pavers recovering and I won't let her chase her Mama - very crazy girl! So it's knowing what's normal for her. She had a couple of UTIs but she was squatting and straining really regularly so it was straight to the vet. I never restrict water.

Thanks Spotted Devil!! I'll observe a bit more over the next few days and try to find a pattern...will call vet monday if it does seem excessive ☺

My old man drinks like nothing else - well - I think he drinks a lot. To the point where I specially had bloods and a general check up done to make sure he was OK. He is - well was - last time I had bloods done.

Maybe you could take some more specific measurements - like I'm sitting here thinking "how much does his "small bowl" actually hold? I know he goes through at least one "small bowl" a day - but that means nothing to you or the vet.

If you haven't already - fill the bucket to the brim and note how much the three of them are drinking in a 12 or 24 hour period. Do that a few times to get a good average.

If you crate them or separate them at all at any stage - same thing - measure out what you're giving her and record it.

Fingers crossed it's just nothing and if it is something - the earlier you catch it the better.

Edited to add: Are your two others bitches? I was - still am - amazed at how much more my male dog wees compared to my last dog who was female.

He's a little wee machine. We often joke he needs to keep his pee reserves up.

Edited by Scottsmum

Thanks Scottsmum. Our other 2 dogs are one of each....a girl and a boy.

I'm yet to start a diary of consumption....i think measuring the amount of water that is in the container is a good idea....as you said no one really knows what a "large" or "small" bowl contains.

I am going to get him checked out cos he is panting a bit.....tho he is very long haired and a running around pup. When he was little he had a heart murmer but thats supposed to be all closed over but can't help but think that could be related.

It's like having a baby again....you have to guess whats going on!!!! ????

I think a quick vet visit would be a good plan. They can check that your pup is able to concentrate his urine as well as working through how normal the amount he is drinking seems to be. Its not an invasive test and will give everyone some peace of mind.

Yep I think a vet visit is a good idea.

Its also about what's 'normal' for your pup. My guys don't seem to drink a lot out of their water bowls - but they get half a bowl full at dinner time as part of their dinner ('westie soup'!) and are on a moist raw diet.

Diet can play a part. You say your pup is the only 1 on a kibble diet. I know with my guys when they get kibble they go through significantly more water than if they are fed a raw meaty bone meal. So if your others are on a BARF type diet or moist food they will drink less than the 1 on kibble.

But as with anything a vet check never hurts.