Dogs (Vs. Bitches) Burying Food

Scottsmum

My female Aussie Shepherd buries certain "precious" toys and sometimes bones but she's quite half arsed about it. Just a few nosefuls of dirt over the prize :laugh: she also "buries" her toys in the couch cushions..My male Anatolian will only bury bones if they're really big and he does a good job of it. Both of them dig random holes for fun/to lie in.

Just adding, my Aussie chews on her bones then buries what's left (if any) but my boy will bury a fresh bone straight away if it's big (precious) enough.

Scottie must be quite special. Even chicken necks are worth the effort. That photo in the OP - was the result of burying a frozen patty ...

My girl Westie Sarah is the bone burier - Andy doesn't seem to be at all interested. If the grounds too hard she will try and bury it under leaves, pushing with her nose. She's even been known to sneak a bone in and try and bury it under the cushions! Gets short shrift when she does!!! laugh.gif

My girl Westie Sarah is the bone burier - Andy doesn't seem to be at all interested. If the grounds too hard she will try and bury it under leaves, pushing with her nose. She's even been known to sneak a bone in and try and bury it under the cushions! Gets short shrift when she does!!! laugh.gif

Few months ago Scottie got up - it was late - like almost midnight. Goes out. Is gone for ages. Comes in, peeks around the corner - sees me. Backs up & goes outside.

Comes back 5 minutes later. Leaves & comes back again 5 minutes later.

Turns out he had a black gross bone he was trying to sneak in. I don't think he thought I'd *still* be there after 3 tries. I ended up confiscating it.

I love it when they bury their food/toy with 'air' and then it's just out there sitting on a cushion even though they spent 10min 'burying' it, hahahah

never noticed a sex difference, just a individual difference

I love it when they bury their food/toy with 'air' and then it's just out there sitting on a cushion even though they spent 10min 'burying' it, hahahah

never noticed a sex difference, just a individual difference

Yeh - that always gives me a belly laugh. They can be such delightfully silly creatures.

Our amstaff girl never digs a hole to bury her bones, she puts them down and spends ridiculous amounts of time using her nose to cover it with dirt until she eventually pushes too vigorously and knocks the bone out of the dirt pile. Then she starts all over again :D

My mum had a poodle cross (male) who did the same thing but far more efficiently.