Who Makes Their Own Treats?

I used to make a treat with baby food & wheat germ. Would not feed it these days as it was basically wheat (and well - Scottie is grain free) but also ...

Thought I'd try my hand at making liver treats. It would be great if I could get them to be a bit softer - more like ziwipeak in consistency. Would use them as little thank yous for my walking clients - and as treats on walks (provided I have the owners OK). I currently treat with Ziwipeak - which is fine for one dog but not many more - id go broke :)

Fav recipes? Tips? Comments?

Have you got a food dryer Scottsmum? I have made chewy/slightly flexible treats with the food dryer using beef heart.

If you don't mind treats that need to be kept refrigerated and used in a few days then you can make very cheap (and delicious- to the dog) treats using offal. Chicken hearts and lamb hearts I boil (and let Del have the broth). Lamb liver, chicken livers, and beef hearts I bake at a low-ish temperature (150) for about an hour to an hour and a half. These make soft treats that still hold their shape well and don't leave much residue on your hands.

I have also made fishy treats. I use tins of sardines and salmon and blend them in the food processor with eggs and gluten free plain flour. I use Gluten Free flour as my husband has coeliacs and it's the only flour we have in the house. You could probably use any flour, even something like Besan flour (which would keep it grain free) and it would turn out ok.

I can't give you exact quantities. I just add flour until the mixture is like a very thick cake batter. Then I bake in the oven.

Have you got a food dryer Scottsmum? I have made chewy/slightly flexible treats with the food dryer using beef heart.

If you don't mind treats that need to be kept refrigerated and used in a few days then you can make very cheap (and delicious- to the dog) treats using offal. Chicken hearts and lamb hearts I boil (and let Del have the broth). Lamb liver, chicken livers, and beef hearts I bake at a low-ish temperature (150) for about an hour to an hour and a half. These make soft treats that still hold their shape well and don't leave much residue on your hands.

No - no dryer.

I was buying a fish jerky for a while which needed to be kept in the fridge....

I bought a cheap dehydrator from one of those deals sites and make fun things in there,

dehydrated chicken breast, liver, heart etc.

The dogs also love tuna fudge :) Sometimes i make salmon or sardine fudge - lots of recipes on google. But it can be a bit crumbly sometimes. My dogs love it though.

Or just boiled chicken or offal for a quick and easy treat (but yes, needs the fridge and to be used quickly unless frozen!)

No - no dryer.

I was buying a fish jerky for a while which needed to be kept in the fridge....

I bet that would've produced a nice aroma every time you opened your fridge :laugh:

This is from another thread because Im lazy!

I've dehydrated all sorts of meat and fish for years for the dogs (and fruit\jerky etc for the hoomans too).

I can't even begin to think of how much money I've saved! I don't dehydrate until there's no moisture left but so the meat is still bendy. I keep it in the fridge but it lasts for weeks\months until used. I chop it in to tiny pieces (small dogs) with secateurs and the dogs love them. They don't have an oily residue and they're pretty mess free, although because they're chopped small I constantly find them in by bag and pockets lol.

I've used pretty much any meat you can buy from chicken, silverside, duck, rabbit, rump, mince, Turkey etc. Silverside is probably one of the most cost effective and different minces work well squished flat. Liver is really cost effective one stinks while dehydrating! I now run the dehydrator outside under my verandah.

20150325_174421_zpsjslvlrls.jpg

20150326_060249_zpsujqnhg4l.jpg

This is from another thread because Im lazy!

I can't even begin to think of how much money I've saved!

yes, i agree. So much cheaper to DIY.

pretty much the only treats i buy now are pizzles, and occasionally ziwipeak too.

ETA: its also nice to know how fresh they are and whats in them :)

Edited by denali

I have also made fishy treats. I use tins of sardines and salmon and blend them in the food processor with eggs and gluten free plain flour. I use Gluten Free flour as my husband has coeliacs and it's the only flour we have in the house. You could probably use any flour, even something like Besan flour (which would keep it grain free) and it would turn out ok.

I can't give you exact quantities. I just add flour until the mixture is like a very thick cake batter. Then I bake in the oven.

I do pretty much the same with rice flour and tinned mackerel from Woolies. Mix into a dough, roll thin, cut into small bits and bake in a moderate oven until golden in colour. You can freeze them, or they will keep in a biscuit tin for weeks.

Most dogs love them! My cats will also filch them when they can LOL

I do pretty much the same with rice flour and tinned mackerel from Woolies. Mix into a dough, roll thin, cut into small bits and bake in a moderate oven until golden in colour. You can freeze them, or they will keep in a biscuit tin for weeks.

Interesting. I might try this... So just rice flour and tinned mackerel ?

What kind of quantity? I imagine one 400ish gram tin - liquid removed.

There's a recipe which has floated around the internet for a while called Salmon Crack Dog Treats which I tried making once. Like the ones mentioned about its basically flour, egg and tinned salmon (not drained) but you could add coconut oil\cheese or whatever your dog likes to make them extra smelly and tasty.

It cooked ok with the middle soft and squishy and the outer bits crunchy but the dogs weren't too fussed about it so I didn't make it again. They aren't really hoovers though so other dogs might love it.

Guest crazydoglady99

We used to do liver/fish/offal (whatever) mixed with puree veg, eggs if you wish, any other particular ingredients you especially want your dog to eat (I never used flour) and blend.

Then spread the goop thinly on baking paper & dehydrate OUTSIDE. It stinks.. so freaking bad. But the dogs love it.

It's time consuming though. And smelly.

I got a dehydrator and now pretty much make everything myself. But looking for new things to try.

My main list so far is...

Liver (all sorts)

Chicken hearts

Sweet potato pieces

Pear slices

Love the dehydrator because I can put it outside so there is no smell at all in the house. In saying that I find it interesting how much better my home made liver smells compared to what is bought in the shop.

I got a dehydrator and now pretty much make everything myself. But looking for new things to try.

Liver (all sorts)

Chicken hearts

Sweet potato pieces

Pear slices

Love the dehydrator because I can put it outside so there is no smell at all in the house. In saying that I find it interesting how much better my home made liver smells compared to what is bought in the shop.

Did I see a photo of yours on another thread?

Interesting. I might try this... So just rice flour and tinned mackerel ?

What kind of quantity? I imagine one 400ish gram tin - liquid removed.

I just tip the whole can in, oil and all and a generous cup of rice flour to start with and then just keep processing until I get a dough. If it is too wet, I add more flour. If it gets too dry I bung in a little water. I have been known to add a whole egg once in a while, but it works fine without.

Don't think so, but I can't remember!!!

Today I have whole chicken hearts drying, takes a while because they are thick but the dogs go beserk over them!!

Liver (all sorts)

Chicken hearts

Sweet potato pieces

Pear slices

Did I see a photo of yours on another thread?