Nosework: Great For Dogs!

Scottsmum

Do upu have a start routine. Does anyone else. I use all done for ending any game so dog knows this a cue in itself. Maybe teach this all done cue. Do small stint of training then end. Learn this end cue away from NW too?

Not Noseworks but I absolutely have a start routine and an end signal. Start routine involves circle work (left and right), tug, body awareness (back up, paws up & sit routine, spin, twirl, drop, sit, stand, sit pretty, say your prayers etc), recall games and then turning tight around cones. Once we are done they are heeled back to the car or up to the dog yard (LOTS of rewards as they hate taking a break) and released to "go play!"

Not Noseworks but I absolutely have a start routine and an end signal. Start routine involves circle work (left and right), tug, body awareness (back up, paws up & sit routine, spin, twirl, drop, sit, stand, sit pretty, say your prayers etc), recall games and then turning tight around cones. Once we are done they are heeled back to the car or up to the dog yard (LOTS of rewards as they hate taking a break) and released to "go play!"

Not trying to disagree with you TSD - but the thing is - you're not "supposed" to have a formal start routine - beyond a quick acknowledgement that you're about to start - harness on, rev up or start word and off you go. Anything remotely resembling obedience gets "left left home" ...

I actually wonder if Mal is getting too excited / anxious / ready to go while PK sets up for home practice and if a faster or even "surprise session" would help him - eg get Mr PK to hold him or play with him while you do the set up - get him in the frame of mind that it could happen anywhere any time.

Or maybe a more formal finish word which is only used for NW - we trained with someone who used czech words for start and finish and said she only used them for NW.

Not trying to disagree with you TSD - but the thing is - you're not "supposed" to have a formal start routine - beyond a quick acknowledgement that you're about to start - harness on, rev up or start word and off you go. Anything remotely resembling obedience gets "left left home" ...

I actually wonder if Mal is getting too excited / anxious / ready to go while PK sets up for home practice and if a faster or even "surprise session" would help him - eg get Mr PK to hold him or play with him while you do the set up - get him in the frame of mind that it could happen anywhere any time.

Or maybe a more formal finish word which is only used for NW - we trained with someone who used czech words for start and finish and said she only used them for NW.

Yes I see your point - I imagine it's because you want them to work for themselves - but I don't think the two are incompatible. Warm up games might happen 15 min before a run and then the dog is put back in his or her crate until we're ready to go. This is a warm up for the body and the mind. Heart rate is down, dog is at the perfect state of arousal and they've had a chance to do some familiar joyful games in an unfamiliar environment. Leash off and bang. Work time. If you're forced to wait, then a couple of nose touches is enough to connect the dots.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Fern was perfect today. Lots of distractions, bbqs,puddles, garbage bins, smelly flowers, possums and some pretty tall hides.

She was so enthusiastic and on task.

I love how she and the GSD have such different ways to problem solve.

Hopefully the trainer will put up some pics later today.

Fern was perfect today. Lots of distractions, bbqs,puddles, garbage bins, smelly flowers, possums and some pretty tall hides.

She was so enthusiastic and on task.

I love how she and the GSD have such different ways to problem solve.

Hopefully the trainer will put up some pics later today.

I loved being able to watch other dogs work. I was able to sit in and audit an ORT once - it was so great to watch all the dogs do the exact same search.

Riff Raff and I have been getting into Noseworks. He LOVES it! Suggestions for a good Noseworks harness? He is a staffy/kelpie type cross breed, with wide shoulders, but a very deep chest - like a boxer maybe?

I'm about to get one of THESE for Malcolm as a walking harness. Each piece is separate so you can mix and match the sizes. NB for Nosework you must only use the back attachment point. It doesn't have a handle though if you need that to contain a super excited dog.

Awesome job Fern and Rozzie! Wow. Malcolm had an exhuberant kid run through a search once and didn't lose focus but a POSSUM?! Incredible!!

There's an adorable senior SWF in our class who is blind, deaf, and has a grand total of 4 teeth. He is a delight to watch.

Edited by Papillon Kisses

Riff Raff and I have been getting into Noseworks. He LOVES it! Suggestions for a good Noseworks harness? He is a staffy/kelpie type cross breed, with wide shoulders, but a very deep chest - like a boxer maybe?

http://www.paloaltodogtraining.com/choosing-nose-work-harness/

The Julius k9 harnesses are very popular. I know a boxer who wears one. Will see if I can find a pic.

edit: I can't find any of my friends boxer - but here's a lab instead ;)

Edited by Scottsmum

Awesome job Fern and Rozzie! Wow. Malcolm had an exhuberant kid run through a search once and didn't lose focus but a POSSUM?! Incredible!!

There's an adorable senior SWF in our class who is blind, deaf, and has a grand total of 4 teeth. He is a delight to watch.

I bet he'd be down right amazing to watch!

• Troy unlocked this topic