Havanese Or Miniature Schnauzer

DizzyDog

I would like to get a small dog that would be suitable for two primary school-aged children. Ideally it will be their shared companion and they will do training and hopefully most of the brushing too. I will probably keep the dog clipped in a short pet-clip. We already have a dog - a standard poodle who likes the kids, but is clearly my dog. She doesn't really cuddle up to the kids and is too strong for them to walk her safely on-leash. Also, my poodle takes up too much room to be a snuggle-up on the bed companion.

So, our most desired features: small, affectionate, relaxed, not too frail to live with a cheerfully bouncy poodle, easy to train, non-shedding. Would either a havanese or a miniature schnauzer be a good fit? Would you suggest something else? (We don't want a miniature poodle, one poodle is enough.)

I'm not sure about the breeds but regarding companionship you may find the new dog gravitates to the existing dog or the person who is in 'charge',ie the one mainly feeding, walking and enforcing the household rules. Would this be a problem if it happened?

Hopefully that's not the case if they kids do training etc with her. Good luck with your choice :)

I have friends with children aged 6 and 8. They got a havanese and are extremely happy with him. He is very manageable for the kids and is very playful. I guess it depends if your standard poodle likes small dogs. I have a standard poodle who gets along very well with my cavalier and loves small dogs. She is very gentle with them.

I'm not sure about the breeds but regarding companionship you may find the new dog gravitates to the existing dog or the person who is in 'charge',ie the one mainly feeding, walking and enforcing the household rules. Would this be a problem if it happened?

Hopefully that's not the case if they kids do training etc with her. Good luck with your choice :)

While my dogs are 'my' dogs in that I do all the walking, feeding, training, they all have their other 'favourite' person which has nothing to do with how much they interact with them :laugh: Diesel adores my OH, Nitro loves my daughter, my previous dog Zoe loved my mum.

My sister just got a havanese (now 6mths) and she's delighted with its easygoing and cuddly nature.

I've got to say your situation is my mini schnauzer's idea of hell! He doesn't mind kids but he hates being on the couch, bed etc and likes to take himself off for a private snooze when lots of people are over. He's my dog, also likes my dad but not interested in anyone else really - but I may have reinforced that as a pup because I prefer my dogs that way.

Thank you for the comments. I am kind of being swayed towards a havanese. I am hoping to make my kids responsible for most of the dog activities including feeding, walking, training, playing. I have a velcro dog -all the room by my feet is spoken for.

We are also planning to get chickens within the next few years - would a havanese be a better mix with chickens than a mini schnauzer or would either be okay?

Also, I see the Royal Melbourne Show is coming up. Am I reading the timetable correctly - would I need to go to the Monday to see the schnauzers and Tuesday to see havanese? Are breeders okay being approached for breed information at this show?

Just a heads up, no primary school aged child should be responsible for walking a dog. Its a recipe for disaster IMHO

Melbourne show is great to have a look at the breeds but I think many of the handlers will be pretty busy. Maybe ask them for a card/details so you can contact them some time after the show has finished?

Are breeders okay being approached for breed information at this show?

Yes most are especially after they have been judged and can relax. Most are fully aware that interaction with the public is a given at a Royal. I'll be there on the Monday but I don't know any breeders of the ones you are interested in

ETA, just had a quick look and Schnauzer are after whippets. There will be a large number of whippets entered, quite possibly judging will take most of the morning. For the Havanese it looks like they will be on fairly early.

Edited by Rebanne

I don't immediately think of Schnauzer I must admit. Cavilier? Playful and cuddly, pretty easy going. Corgi ? Lovely dogs, not so common now. I can see the poodle being exactly like you describe. Good luck