Vestibular Disease In Dogs

stellnme

My 15 year old was diagnosed with Vestibular disease yesterday after a very worrying night when we thought she might have had a stroke. There is no ear infection or obvious cause, so at this stage it is a wait and see approach and hopefully she will improve.

Poor little one has the typical "drunken sailor" gait and the head tilt. We're carrying her outside to toilet and helping with feeding as she is having difficulty as the water/food bowl seems to be moving around!

Does anyone have any experience of this, any tips to help her recover or at least, be more comfortable - also how long did it take to recover (I realise that can vary.)

My girl had this in January, it's been a long recovery and I don't think she will ever be the same, but she is much better, it's probably only me that can see the difference in her now as I know her so well.

They could find no reason for this to happen....

All the best for your girl

My greyhound girl had this last year. She needed to be carried out to the toilet and supported while she was going for about 3 days, then we had a day or 2 where she could make it outside by leaning on me whenever she had a more significant wobble. She had minimal appetite for a couple of days (maybe the nausea from the constant movement?) but was drinking ok with help and had a water bowl next to her bed so she didn't have to stand up to drink.

I would say she was 100% recovered by about 2 weeks. She was 90% better after about 5 days and could eat/drink fairly normally and was walking with a minor head tilt but I didn't let her outside unless she was on a lead for the 2 full weeks, in case she attempted some zoomies and tripped over.

Luckily being elderly and a greyhound meant she was pretty relaxed about sleeping in a comfy bed most of the day. The hardest thing for her was not being allowed on the lounge until she was well enough that I knew she wouldn't fall off.

I had an older male greyhound get this - once. His was very mild. I didn't have to carry him anywhere, he still ate and drank ok. Was only slightly wobbly and totally over it in a few days. What clued the vet in was the eye flick, everything else was very mild.

OUr old dog had this at 13 1/2 years and then again 18 months later. The first time she recovered completely and went back to all her normal activity. Second time it took longer but she was possibly home most of the day stressing til she was found (first time was basically in front of me) and I did wonder but within a week she was a lot better and did ultimately completely recover.

I think a smaller attack happened again 18 month later (last Nov) as she had been slightly lame in a hind leg but was still going on short walks but mid walk she got the staggers and really struggled to get home. Next day had real issues and fell over a lot. From there she had more issues with the walking and was on an anti inflam that helped her in those last 6 months - so despite no eyes of head tilt there was a weaker third one.

They call it a dog stroke at some vets - its not like a human stroke its just the term they use here for the condition at times.

OUr old dog had this at 13 1/2 years and then again 18 months later. The first time she recovered completely and went back to all her normal activity. Second time it took longer but she was possibly home most of the day stressing til she was found (first time was basically in front of me) and I did wonder but within a week she was a lot better and did ultimately completely recover.

I think a smaller attack happened again 18 month later (last Nov) as she had been slightly lame in a hind leg but was still going on short walks but mid walk she got the staggers and really struggled to get home. Next day had real issues and fell over a lot. From there she had more issues with the walking and was on an anti inflam that helped her in those last 6 months - so despite no eyes of head tilt there was a weaker third one.

They call it a dog stroke at some vets - its not like a human stroke its just the term they use here for the condition at times.

I'm certainly not looking forward to any reoccurrences - it was the scariest thing to see, I really thought we would be saying goodbye to her. It appears that once it's happened there is a strong chance of it happening again. It's a bit cruel that, with all the medical issues that come with old age, our dogs sometimes have vestibular to contend with as well.

Lily, the tibbie next door is battling what's suspected to be vestibular disease. She's 11 years. Came on suddenly over 4 weeks ago & she's still not good. Her balance is really off & she sort of shuffle trots, but only small distances, then flops down. Worst, she won't eat well. Tho' did for a little while. She's been given Nutrigel to keep up some nutrition. She's a long way out of the woods & her family are so distressed. They fear the possibility of giving her, her wings. Lily's never had a sick day in her life, up to this.

Edited by mita

Lily, the tibbie next door is battling what's suspected to be vestibular disease. She's 11 years. Came on suddenly over 4 weeks ago & she's still not good. Her balance is really off & she sort of shuffle trots, but only small distances, then flops down. Worst, she won't eat well. Tho' did for a little while. She's been given Nutrigel to keep up some nutrition. She's a long way out of the woods & her family are so distressed. They fear the possibility of giving her, her wings. Lily's never had a sick day in her life, up to this.

I hope that time helps Lily, Mita. After seeing an initial improvement, Stella seems to have come to a standstill. She is "okay", but not herself and I'm wondering if, because of her age and other issues, this is as good as we are going to get with her.

I hope that time helps Lily, Mita. After seeing an initial improvement, Stella seems to have come to a standstill. She is "okay", but not herself and I'm wondering if, because of her age and other issues, this is as good as we are going to get with her.

That's kind of happening with Lily but she may be plateauing further back. She's now alert & focused & looks better in the face... and is eating about half normal. But her walking is very difficult. She has to be placed carefully all 4 legs square & she waits seeming to establish her balance and will go a few steps before flopping down. Her family worry terribly that she's stuck at this stage & they feel it's no life for her. But they adore her.

Geriatric vestibular disease is quite common.

Monte had what we thought was a vestibular episode a few months before he died. The jury is still out. His symptoms all pointed to vestibular - his eyes were rolling around, he couldn't stand, and he had a head tilt.

He had epilepsy though and his symptoms were quite severe. It took him some time before he was independent again.

We helped him by supporting him with his harness when he needed to toilet, giving him small amounts of food often (to help nausea) and watching him for risks. We had to close off all stairs and steps and keep him in a confined area.

His neuro feels it may have been more than just vestibular though as it occurred again just over 3 months later and this time he also went into continuous seizures. His head tilt immediately prior to the final seizures was really, really bad.

post-3413-0-45104600-1475507208_thumb.jpeg

Edited by ~Anne~

That's quite a head tilt that Monte had, Anne. Because the symptoms are so similar to a stroke, it makes you wonder if a small stroke is responsible for the vestibular - or if the vestibular causes more problems, i.e seizures. I guess we never know.

Stella's eye rolling is better but still has the head tilt and is wobbly, but she has definitely deteriorated since the attack. The night time wandering and confusion is much worse. Taking it one day at a time lately.