Stained fur - any ideas?

teekay

Jenna is nearly 8 years old now. Many years ago she used to have rusty coloured staining around her vulva and on her paws. I changed her food to VIP grain free and all the staining disappeared :)

Fast forward to last year and the staining returned with avengence, and it's round her mouth and neck area, as well as her eyes. See photo. I don't know whether it's coincidence but it's worth mentioning that it reappeared around the time she we had an ear infection ( nasty - both bacterial and fungal) The ear infection was cleared up with medication but the staining has never gone away and her vulva area is really dark. The vet said it was just a cosmetic problem along with her blocked tear ducts that cause staining round her eyes too. Said it may be allergy related but didn't really offer any other advice.

I thought I'd ask the collective mind of DOL if they have any advice. Oh and she isn't itchy. 

Ok having problems uploading a pic. I'll try again in a minute.

Go the chemist, buy a bottle of Optrex and some cotton wool balls.  Every day, soak a couple of cotton wool balls in the Optrex squeeze into her eyes and wipe around.  The Optrex is an eye wash and will flush out her eyes and kill any bacteria that is caused from her licking the stained areas.  

I always have Optrex on hand and clean my dogs’ eyes regularly.   

Attached is a photo of Tamar when I adopted her from the pound (admittedly nearly 13 years ago), but as soon as I started using the Optrex the staining cleared up and to this day, she has never stained again.  Ditto with several of my dogs over the years.

Try this, I am sure it will help.    

2004 Tamar2a.jpeg

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling
  • Like 2

Thanks DDD, I will definitely do that for her eyes.:)

My concern is that there is something going on internally that is causing this. It must be coming from her saliva and something must have changed because she hasn't always had it.

1 hour ago, teekay said:

Thanks DDD, I will definitely do that for her eyes.:)

My concern is that there is something going on internally that is causing this. It must be coming from her saliva and something must have changed because she hasn't always had it.

Ears and eyes and noses all linked, so yes, it is from the saliva (as I understand it).   

7 hours ago, BJ. said:

Was she on antibiotics for her ears? It may be possible that they have upset her gut flora. If so a pro biotic may help.

Thanks BJ. I did try some pro biotics a while ago but they didn't seem to help. :(

On 2/16/2017 at 11:28 AM, Dame Danny's Darling said:

Go the chemist, buy a bottle of Optrex and some cotton wool balls.  Every day, soak a couple of cotton wool balls in the Optrex squeeze into her eyes and wipe around.  The Optrex is an eye wash and will flush out her eyes and kill any bacteria that is caused from her licking the stained areas.  

I always have Optrex on hand and clean my dogs’ eyes regularly.   

Attached is a photo of Tamar when I adopted her from the pound (admittedly nearly 13 years ago), but as soon as I started using the Optrex the staining cleared up and to this day, she has never stained again.  Ditto with several of my dogs over the years.

Try this, I am sure it will help.    

2004 Tamar2a.jpeg

Thanks DD.  My poor old Sarah has developed similar staining in the last 12 months, so I've bought some Optrex this morning and will see how it goes. :)

2 hours ago, westiemum said:

Thanks DD.  My poor old Sarah has developed similar staining in the last 12 months, so I've bought some Optrex this morning and will see how it goes. :)

I’ll be interested to know how you go, WM.  I have been rabbiting on about Optrex for years.  I am never without it and use it regularly on my dogs.  Because they aren’t stained, I use it diluted just to wash out their eyes.  You know yourself how good it feels when you wash your face .... same for dogs :) .  I pour a little bit into a bowl with a little bit of water (from kettle), soak the cotton balls in it and just wipe the dogs eyes.  

Well I've just given her eyes and face under her eyes a good clean and she's looking better already - and surprisingly she didn't complain and perform at all.  So will report back in a few days.  

BTW DD, which Optrex did you use - there are piles of them!  So I bought the liquid for dry eyes but if there's a better one I can get that too as a small 10ml bottle isn't going to go far!

1 hour ago, westiemum said:

Well I've just given her eyes and face under her eyes a good clean and she's looking better already - and surprisingly she didn't complain and perform at all.  So will report back in a few days.  

BTW DD, which Optrex did you use - there are piles of them!  So I bought the liquid for dry eyes but if there's a better one I can get that too as a small 10ml bottle isn't going to go far!

I would imagine this one you could just squirt a little bit into her eyes.   I am sure she felt better :heart:  :heart:  

5 minutes ago, Dame Danny's Darling said:

I would imagine this one you could just squirt a little bit into her eyes.   I am sure she felt better :heart:  :heart:  

Yep thats actually what I did. Usually she squirms with anything close to her face.  But she just lay there and took it - which makes me think the drops gave her some relief. :)

I've started the eye wash, although her eyes aren't actually that bad but it can't hurt :)

I've also bought some better quality food, still grain free and I've bought a new ceramic water bowl as I read that the scratches in plastic bowls can harbour hacteria. Again, may be nonsense but won't hurt. :)

12 hours ago, teekay said:

I've started the eye wash, although her eyes aren't actually that bad but it can't hurt :)

I've also bought some better quality food, still grain free and I've bought a new ceramic water bowl as I read that the scratches in plastic bowls can harbour hacteria. Again, may be nonsense but won't hurt. :)

Hopefully, she will soon be sparkling clean again.   The eyes generally don’t look “bad”, LOL, but they can still have irritants there.  I’ve started eyedrops myself because I feel as though I have a quarry load of grit in them at the moment.  :(  :(  No staining though :laugh:  :laugh:

DD and teekay just wanted to pop back and say thanks sooo much.  Sarebears face and eyes seem soon much better. I started her on the dry eye one a week ago and that bottle lasted a little over a day and then I got the bigger bottle of eye wash.  While she's still stained, it isn't as mucky, brown and angry looking as it was. And most importantly she seems happier too.

Thanks tons again DD - and how are you going with it teekay?

• Like 2