Horses being ridden on beach attacked by off lead dog .

persephone

no but the risk of infection from the bites and the mental damage to the horses will mean they would probably bolt if they see a dog heading for them in future. pity one of the horses wasn't a dog killer, my brothers mare and her mother would dispatch any attacking dog in seconds they were very good at it. Never had to worry about dog attacks to them or the other horses in their paddock,  I never saw either in action but a neighbour said the mother would jump on the dog and when she grew up the daughter did the same.

a friends gelding does the same, I saw him take on a dog and kill it, that turned up while I was visiting and went for them in their paddock, so some horses will do it. Something to remember if your dog is offleash and heads towards some horses one day

Sorry .. i was NOT saying the attack wasn't serious ..just letting people know that the images were ok for the squeamish :o 
It was an awful thing to happen :( I hope the owners were at the least penalised .
A friend's gelding  was taught about dogs ...we used to ride along suburban streets back then ..sometimes dogs would rush out - and ,at a whispered word, Jack would snake that neck out & make a grab ! 

have to admit, although my old horse never killed a dog, he sure scared many an intending attacker witless. he liked to wait until the second they thought they were going to latch on to him and he spin fast as a cat and land with the dog between his descending feet with a full set of teeth straight for its face, they tended to turn themselves inside out trying to do a 180 and flee for their lives, dont mess with a savy stock horse that can cut wild rabbits let alone a slow moving dog.

this is the old boy in full flight aged 26 winning the penrith show iron woman race by half a mile,, which he won again by a 1/4 mile margin the next year aged 27, there were 14 the first year and 12 the second year and a fraction his age, decided to see if it was true, as that old saying goes 'Old Age And Cunning Will Overcome Youth And Skill Every Time", eh?

aeneas.jpg

Edited by asal
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2