3 year vaccination

Ok, dogs might need to go into boarding kennels so they will have to be vaccinated. I will only do a C3 with the kennel cough part the nasal application. They may also be needing boarding again next year which got me thinking about the 3 year vaccination. If I recall rightly the last time the dogs got a C3 I was offered the 12 month or the 3 year and I only did the 12 month. My question is:

what is the difference between the two? What makes the 3 year a 3 year? Are there extras added and if so what are they?

Labelling for liability. As far as I’m aware the core vaccine is the same but labelling allows triennial  to be legally signed off for the 3 years. 

• Like 2

Adding, after re reading you OP, if the last vaccine you had was an ‘annual’, and only signed of as such, although that same vaccine, if labelled triennial, could be signed off for 3 years, if it was only labelled and signed for annual, the kennel will not accept it if it’s ‘overdue’ 

whether you know it’s the same vaccine or not is not relevant in the liability sense, for the vet signing it off or the service accepting your pet into care, such as boarding and daycare etc 

it makes me really angry that vets are still not explaining the vaccines adequately. It makes me angry that any vet is still even offering an annual core vaccine regime for the vast majority of normally healthy pets. Even angrier that vets are still vaccinating, often annually, extremely senior pets :mad:banghead:

Edited by Scratch
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

thanks everyone. It's as I thought, no difference between them just the label really. I know the kennel won't accept the annual as they are all overdue. My vet and I agree about vaccination and as she told me the "3 year" vacc was more expensive then the 12 month one I opted for the 12 month one. Pretty sure she told me then there was no difference between them except for the labeling. It's 3 years since my older two were vaccinated.

I am asking some local kennels if they will take titre test results instead.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 yr cost no  more than the others i would be asking your vet why there charging more & most that have is to make the owners at that moment say give me the cheaper one .
We do 3 yr or titer & we accept both in the kennels .

Not all brands do 3  year .
As a boarding kennel owner the mind boggles at the number of vet clinics that can't get it write especially the date of when the next triennial is due .
Some have listed 3 year on brands that arent which we have had to point out to clients as they have pet insurance that wont cover an illness due to the clinics stupidity .

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, tdierikx said:

Rude that the 3 year signoff costs more than the 1 year.... seeing as it's the same concoction...

T.

I agree but if it costs more for the vets to buy it then they are going to pass that on

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dogsfevr said:

3 yr cost no  more than the others i would be asking your vet why there charging more & most that have is to make the owners at that moment say give me the cheaper one .
We do 3 yr or titer & we accept both in the kennels .

I assume 3 years ago that it did cost the vets more to buy it so of course they will pass it on. My vet knows I don't vaccinate yearly so she had nothing to gain from me.

• Like 1