Allergies

MiraBounty

For 2 weeks or so, we'll host some friends from out of state, and she's allergic to dogs. We've been planning on getting an air purifier for a while now anyhow, so we were thinking to buy one that works for pet dander and hair too with this occasion. I've got my eyes settled on a few options, but I'm just wondering if these actually work for allergic people, do any of you know? Obviously, I've found only hype online for them, manufacturers and websites stating that they work and allergies are basically gone, but while I do trust the systems work up to a point, can't say that I'm 100% sold on the fact that something as fine as pet hair or dander gets eliminated from the air 100%.

There is no way hair/skin cells from dog can be eliminated entirely by these machines, in my opinion ....they would need to have a VERY strong suction happening to gather it all up  from the floor/furniture cushions, etc ! LOL .
Pollen I can sort of understand ..that being microscopic , and suspended in the air ... but dog hair etc ..I very much doubt it.

there are so many non- drowsy antihistamines around....there maybe one which suits the person for that short term usage . 

• Like 3

Ok, so some of the models here https://www.optimainstitute.com/purifiers/for-pets.html seem, in theory at least, to be ok. Paired with routine vacuuming of the floor, carpets, and sofas every 2-3 days, I think it might actually work. If I do end up getting one, I'll return with feedback so that you guys know whether or not it worked and on what product you can count on. Wish me luck!

• Like 3

Thought I had responded! I find an air purifier helpful for my dust mite allergies in addition to everything else, so you could certainly give it a go. However, you need to do lots and lots of vacuuming with a high quality vacuum and wipe everything.

Hot washes (min 60 degree) are needed to kill dust mite and it may be the same for dander? I don’t know how that particular allergen functions. Keep your dog out of your guests sleeping area, and also communal areas if possible. I would make sure they know how things are going to be before they arrive as there may be tears otherwise. Some people may expect your dog to be outside the entire time, and if that’s not appropriate for your family they might prefer to stay elsewhere? Otherwise I can see a falling out which you would not want!

I think step up the vacuuming to daily personally. With dust mite allergies you also need to let the air settle for at least 30 minutes after as even top notch vacuums throw allergens around. It may be the same for dander.

6 hours ago, Papillon Kisses said:

Some people may expect your dog to be outside the entire time, and if that’s not appropriate for your family they might prefer to stay elsewhere? Otherwise I can see a falling out which you would not want!

Easier to rent or buy a caravan :)

(I hate vacuuming). 

• Like 4

Best if they prepare with some antihistamines or stay somewhere else.

Years ago we had family coming to stay that didn't like dogs so ours was consigned to kennels for 4 or 5 days.  He got kennel cough very badly and nearly died ....  I made the decision that day that never would I send my pets away from their home so someone could stay that didn't like them.  Hard luck, it' s my house and theirs.  I wouldn't personally dream of going to someone else's home and ask them to send the kids away because I didn't like the noise they made.

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2