Another BS study of e-collars

sandgrubber

Call for ban of electric collars after study finds them less effective https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-8620391/Electric-shock-dog-collars-Call-ban-study-finds-effective-methods.html?ito=native_share_article-masthead

Who in their right mind would teach 'sit' and 'come' with an e-collar?  No doubt they also used too strong signals and bad timing.  I stopped using one because it takes skill and patience to make them work.  But I've seen them work great with a good trainer, especially for distance work...used for signaling more than punishment. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, sandgrubber said:

Call for ban of electric collars after study finds them less effective https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-8620391/Electric-shock-dog-collars-Call-ban-study-finds-effective-methods.html?ito=native_share_article-masthead

Who in their right mind would teach 'sit' and 'come' with an e-collar?  No doubt they also used too strong signals and bad timing.  I stopped using one because it takes skill and patience to make them work.  But I've seen them work great with a good trainer, especially for distance work...used for signaling more than punishment. 

There is a saying “if you can’t train a dog without an ecollar, you can’t train a dog with one!”

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Tempus Fugit said:

Am curious whether any of the study used strong distractions e.g. feral deer & foxes, during the training exercises, especially where the dog had previously self rewarded by chasing prey species.

Ah, yes the FENTON................................... moments.

funny for some, but fatal for many.

but the thought police dont care how many die exercising their rights to self expression

catch 22 isnt it