Searching for an apartment dog

WillM

Hi there! I'm on the search for a mature dog who can handle living solo with me in my apartment. I'm currently interested in a Whippet as it seems to suit my lifestyle (and own personality). A bit about me: i'm very active and work a corporate job (3 days at home, 2 in the office), with a dog friendly support network of family and friends. My previous dog ownership and experience was puppy walking Australian Customs Labradors from the age of 8 weeks to 18 months before permanently adopting a retired stud. I loved the temperament of a Labrador (although definitely not the shedding hair!) but this was in a family home with a backyard. More recently, I’m the doggy uncle to my sister's cockapoodle (that is quite anxious, something i don't mind) and lagotto (which is high octane, something i do mind!)

I'm keen to learn what other owners, breeders and dog enthusiasts think about my situation and any words of advice you may have!

Cheers

Will

I'm sure some whippet owners will be along soon to give you their experiences. In the meantime you will find some good info in the breed101 section and there is also a breed subforum for general chat for owners and breeders. Your best bet is to look up some breeders on the main page and have a chat to them about whether the breed will be suitable for your situation :)

• Like 2

My questions would be more based on expectations off the dog and how the apartment is set up 

aka will dog have access to grass or required to hang on for network or indoor doggy loo used.

Is apartment first floor or is apartment fenced well if balcony’s are there .

Older dogs can sometimes struggle with such a drastic life style change depending on your set up just something to factor into the pros and cons off dog expectations and older v younger in training a pup and retraining an older dog 

Whippets are fabulous jumpers .

• Like 2

Breed is always a necessary consideration, but the personality of a particular dog would be of more importance IMO.  For example, I am fostering two Pekingese girls at the moment and I would never rehome them to an apartment.  They love with abandon the outdoors to the extent that I call them The Dirt Girls.  Whereas some supposedly “high octane” breed could love nothing more than a life spent on the couch with you.  

Have you considered a Greyhound?