Desperately Need Help - Cocker Spaniel

Thanks again guys for replying, but now i must admit i sound like a bad dog owner and this depresses me :laugh:

They mean the world to me, but i agree with everyone here. things need to change, and my husband and i started the moment we got home. We went out the back, and said hello and let them in, but we didnt over fuss her or bend down to her (which my husband really wanted to) - no pee great day 1. I said he could fuss her once she calmed down from us getting home.

My partner knows this is important and all night when she did something he called me first and asked me what to do. She had pulled a plant out and brought it inside and sat it next to her infront of my partner. I told him to tell her no because he caught her doing it. We put her outside for 10 minutes then brought her back in and treat her like it didnt happen. No need to be shitty all night. plus no smack. I can see she need to gain confidence again.

I didnt like the comment about us trying to make Millie the top dog, we defiantely dont do that. The problem at the moment is we just cant figure out who the top dog is. Its not that black and white. And in the mean time what are we suppose to do when you dont know who the top dog is. I currently make them both sit and put there food down at the same time. When feeding treats i take it in turns of who i give it to first.

I even asked my mum who knows about dogs, and she even said its hard to tell at the moment, and that they must still be trying to figure it out or fighting it out. They both do seperate things which makes you think they are top dog.

To all those discussing Rage Syndrom, i do know about it and i know my 2 dont suffer from it, as it is a very serious thing, not just a grumble here or there. The first time millie tried to challange me as a pup and she barked at me, i looked into it a lot and they defiantely dont have it.

In regards to them being bored and having toys, i doubt it very much as they have hundred of toys in their toy box and the are always getting them out. They play tug o war a lot together, and Jess is addicted to tennis balls.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You are a wonderful owner. This proves it. You came looking for a solution instead of dumbing a perfectly brilliant animal. :laugh:

Sounds like you are doing the right thing. Also, reward her when she pees outside. I even used to feed my guys while they were peeing :laugh: and saying 'toilet' when they were going.

I would change the feeding tho. Feed your older girl first, then the puppy. Remember you are the pack leader and its you who decides the pack status.

They definately grow out of the digging etc. My girl Mai (avatar) was a complete s**t when she was a puppy, then she got to 16mths and suddenly grew up. It was almost overnight. :cry:

hape2cu:

Thanks again guys for replying, but now i must admit i sound like a bad dog owner and this depresses me 

Banish that thought from your head. Like many dog owners (and dare I say some parents) you've confused love with the absence of discipline or boundaries (gee I sound like Super Nanny - is that asseptable? :laugh: )

Every dog owner goes through learning curves. Sometimes your first dog is such an easy going, amenable type that you think all dogs are like this. You don't need to set up many boundaries or exercise overt disipline because your dog is quite happy to live within unspoken ones. Then along comes the puppy to shatter those illusions. :laugh: Many of us can relate to your experiences - I know I can! :( Multiple dog households also bring challenges but I'm sure you'll agree the rewards for you and your first dog are worth it.

I'd still HIGHLY recommend you find a good dog training club and take both your girls along. Cockers, contrary to the opinions of many people, are very smart and trainable - they have achieved at the highest levels in every dog sport they compete in. Furthermore, you gain from the experience of people who've been through many of the issues you are now dealing with.

Can't wait for the pics! :cry:

Edited by poodlefan

Maverick:

and I really really hate it when people say Cockers are dumb 

I feel your pain. I did the commentary for an all Cocker obedience and agility demo at their Nationals a couple of years ago. Afterwards the participants had BREEDERS coming up to them and saying they didn't know that the breed was capable of such activities. :laugh::laugh:

You are not a bad dog owner! Clearly everything you do is out of love for your dogs! Yes it can be difficult to see status at times, particularly if there is a change. My Cocker bitch was dominant over my GSD until he hit maturity, then he took over, which may or may not be something for you to watch for. I agree 110% about obedience training. Your dogs will love it and it's great for leadership. Apologies for the 'rage syndrome' debate, I never wanted to imply that your dog had it.

Course no one thinks you are a bad owner - I only hope that some of the advice we've given will help.

I know who my alpha dog is - but I don't treat him any differently - at tea time. the dinners go down, and they share. My front lawn looks like Mars, because they have developed an intense interest in landscaping. Every time I buy something to plant I need 2 - one for them to kill, and one to grow!! :laugh:

I have a submissive one here, and she is disobedient as well, so I have to tread a fine line between buiding her confidence, and getting her to obey I want her confident, as I would like to show her - everyone with dogs at some time has problems, small or large, and if you can discuss them with other dog owners, if often helps

Cost you though - wanna see pictures!! :laugh:

Ok here are the pics of my girls. Millie is the gold cocker & Jess is the Black Cocker.

If you think they look weird its cause we shave them for convenience. We take the camping out Bush and they love it, but better to be clean than knotty.

post-22-1116456095.jpg

Oooooo what cuties :(

My first cocker was a black and have been a bit partial to them since. I clip my guys back as they are always in the bush. Last weekend they must of have thousands of 'farmers friend' all through them :mad ;)

Guest penygraig

:rolleyes: Would just like to add that we had a Golden cocker Spaniel last year who had the dreaded word Rage.He had it from 12 weeks.The early signs are possession with items eg shoes, dislike of being moved,dislike of being physically touched - progressed to total instability of temper and extreme moodiness with uncharacteristic behaviour, which further progressed to alarming and ferocious biting atacks when you thought the Cocker was asleep.Guarding of corners,attacking in car if anyone moved him slightly.Finally he was pinning family up against doors in the kitchen with progressive and firece attacks,that is he was advancing to bite and was not influenced in giving up even with alarm canisters going off.

I disagree that Rage is rare in solid coloured Cockers in GB anyway,as since then we have carried out investigations and have been contacted by many,many people and 100% of those have had solid coloured Cockers,not parti coloured cockers,they all seem fine except one dark blue Roan.

We have other solid Gold Cockers who are dominant and are slightly aggressive but overall manageable.

Many breeders will not sell solid coloured English cocker spaniels to young families as they are too dangerous.There are exceptions to this obviously, and many solids have good temperments,but is it worth risking a family child being bitten and possibly maimed for life while waiting for the dog to develop one way or the other.The statistics are stacked against the solid Cockers and No sensible breeder would want to sell a possible dangerous solid or want to chance it.

Now go on lampoon me!! :cry: