Canberra Pet Rescue Struggling to Find Homes for Rising Number of Surrendered Animals . ABC News 20/8/22

Deeds

... and in NSW it's pretty much the same... only compounded by AJP's legislation change to force pounds to try to offload their excess onto private rescues before they are able to even consider euthanasia.

Note: RSPCA is exempt from having to take offered animals from pounds - they lobbied very hard for that exemption - and they will definitely have the highest kill rate come annual reporting time I reckon (considering they've been gloating about their 2020/21 reports being nice and low... gonna come back to bite them bigtime this year... grrr!)

T.

I think pounds are frightened to PTS due to backlash, when no rescue wants to risk a dog they can't rehome so it sits in the pound. When some dogs are just not rehomeable. It's a sad fact. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Powerlegs said:

I think pounds are frightened to PTS due to backlash, when no rescue wants to risk a dog they can't rehome so it sits in the pound. When some dogs are just not rehomeable. It's a sad fact. 

Ain't that the truth! And now with this new legislation, compounded by the huge number of surrenders due to poor choices during pandemic lockdowns and cost of living pressures, means many more animals in pounds and shelters with NO legal holding times, and well-meaning rescues are feeling obliged to take in way more animals than they can adequately care for or rehome responsibly... it's a recipe for total disaster...

... which is actually what the AR nutters want. Total chaos with regard to pets means they can push for further legislation to abolish pet ownership altogether.

T.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

So despite the vast financial coffers of the RSPCA and access to funding sources by many local councils, the responsibility still falls on volunteer based and unfunded independant rescues to save more lives? Did I get that right?

The day the RSPCA get their proper comeuppance for all they don't do for animals I will be incredibly happy.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Little Gifts said:

So despite the vast financial coffers of the RSPCA and access to funding sources by many local councils, the responsibility still falls on volunteer based and unfunded independant rescues to save more lives? Did I get that right?

The day the RSPCA get their proper comeuppance for all they don't do for animals I will be incredibly happy.

Yep... the most well funded and largest "rehoming organisation" is completely exempt (in NSW) from having to consider taking animals from overstretched pounds... meanwhile, they still get to police all the rescues who might take on more animals than they can adequately care for due to the pressure now put on them by the stupid AR movement who pushed the stupid legislation through... sweet deal hey?

Oh... and let's not forget that the same stupid AR mob (AJP) also pushed through harsher penalties (read fines) for animal cruelty/abuse/neglect... which gives RSPCA even more incentive to go chasing people so they can get their cut of the riches... how cool is that for them?

AND... they also got a nice little lump sum of $500k to specifically target "puppy farmers" - which basically targets anyone who breeds dogs... awesome, yes?

T.

• Sad 3

What a mess.

Companion animal owners need decent representation for their own concerns-  single issue bodies will never cut it and aren't in a position to represent us, or the real issues that lead to problems in the 1st place.

They deal in effects, not causes.

17 hours ago, moosmum said:

What a mess.

Companion animal owners need decent representation for their own concerns-  single issue bodies will never cut it and aren't in a position to represent us, or the real issues that lead to problems in the 1st place.

They deal in effects, not causes.

Animal Care Australia are a political lobby group trying to do exactly that @moosmum... they don't run candidates for elections, but are heavily involved in the legislative process to try to counter all the stupid changes that AJP keep trying to push through. ACA are the advocates for common sense animal welfare laws...

T.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tdierikx said:

Animal Care Australia are a political lobby group trying to do exactly that @moosmum... they don't run candidates for elections, but are heavily involved in the legislative process to try to counter all the stupid changes that AJP keep trying to push through. ACA are the advocates for common sense animal welfare laws...

T.

Then I better check them out, to see if there is a way I can contribute.

• Like 2