Ph level 9

Considering it's pretty easy to look up crystal types (and other sediment artifact types) via Google, I find it interesting to hear that the vet didn't simply look them up before deciding what the problem may or may not be...

https://www.idexx.no/files/urine-sediment-guide.pdf

My feeling is that if you got the sample to the clinic around 30 mins from the time you took the sample, then the issue could be related to how long after you delivered it and when the actual test was done, and if it was refrigerated or not. Crystals may form the longer the sample is waiting to be tested (especially at room temperature), so their presence may or may not be indicative of an issue dependent upon the time between the sample being taken and when it is tested.

Personally, I'd be taking the dog up to the clinic and having them take the sample and do the test straight away and you wait for the result... if only to rule in or out any actual issue that may have been (mis)diagnosed due to sample age with the last test.

When I used to feed my dogs kibble, they used to drink a lot more than when I changed them to a raw diet. On kibble I'd be refilling the water bowl 2-3 times a week (more often in hotter weather), and after changing to the raw diet, I was only refilling the water bowl maybe once a week, or when it got a bit yukky from slobber or dirt. Urine output was commensurate with the amount of water they drank... more water in = more urine output generally. I am not advocating that you need to change to a raw diet, just noting that water intake is generally higher on a kibble diet, OK? If your dog is otherwise perfectly healthy on her current diet, then there should be no real need to change it.

I hear you on the rotating vets thing... many clinics are hard pressed getting vets who want to work permanent full time positions, as their salaries are generally not that great, so effectively working a number of more part time/casual/locum positions tends to maximise their income source... so they can afford their daily bills (and HECS debts) just as the rest of us need to. The only drawback is that clients can't always pick which vet they will see depending on what days they tend to work at those clinics. We see a very similar issue in human medical centres too, so this isn't a new or isolated problem. If you have a preferred vet working at a particular clinic, it may be an idea to find out what their regular days are and schedule appointments to suit...

T.

• Like 2

On 02/12/2022 at 5:13 PM, Zarasowner said:

Honestly,I'm starting to think that. 

They are giving me hell. I have been going there since I got Zara at 11 months. I discovered them through the desexing network and they have been my vet since then. They are good to us. 

Yup. If she does inappropriate urination I would definitely know that something is up.  She's out in the front yard again,did another urination and then scratched the floor. 

I went to the chemist and got a Urine container. Seriously considering making an appointment and letting them do a test on the spot next Monday. 

How is Zara?

• 2 months later...

Hey all. I haven't posted an update. I'm noticing that Zara's urinating has improved again. Had her on Royal Canin S/O for a month,it caused increased thirst and made the urine very pale but has been back on the old food for a bit now. She doesn't need to go every three hours. I take her on long walks so I let her empty out her bladder. Her streams are fast and they don't seem to be discoloured. I've had her on ZamiPet Urinary supplements since the diagnosis of the crystals and I'm still going to continue with it. I've also been encouraging her to drink more and taking her at the front yard (she prefers there to the backyard ) to do her business. Yes,she still marks at home but it's whenever a pigeon is around or when she's excited,I guess. Vet didn't mention anything about a urinalysis but we did do an ultrasound and there was nothing abnormal, thankfully. 

The times she would go out a lot is on the hot days but I've noticed her gulping up the water then. So, hopefully this is all a good sign. Maybe the crystals were a false flag since she didn't have an infection.

There are three other dogs in the house. All desexed females but are seniors. So,I'm thinking Zara marks because of them?

Once or twice last week she went in the middle of the night to urinate but that would be because she gulped some water up before bed around 9. 

• Like 1