dogs perception of time

sandgrubber

20 hours ago, persephone said:

Interesting supposition :) Mind You - Donut could have heard the School Bus from a great distance , maybe ? 

suspect that's more likely, as I bet it NEVER arrived exactly the same time each day. it couldn't have.  to many variables to influence its departure and travel times

To say Donut had knowledge of astrophysics is judging by human standards. 

I wonder if the dog could smell and/or hear the school bus? Many dogs react to the arrival of certain cars but not others, but we take our animal's abilities for granted. Is it the car or the driver that the dog is detecting?

When I was looking after a neighbour's horse while he was overseas for a planned six months, his cat disappeared shortly after he left. When she returned after only a few months, everyone assumed that Ray must be returning early. And he did.

• Like 2

It’s a nice story, but it doesn’t really make sense and there are other, more feasible explanations. Daily changes in environmental odour profiles would vary depending on temperature, humidity and air flow.

Humans have an internal body clock… how often have you woken up five minutes before your alarm went off or looked up from your work and checked the clock just on 5 pm? There’s no reason to think that animals are any different. There would also be environmental cues, such as neighbours driving past on the way to collect their children from school or bring them home or dogs barking on the distance when people arrive home.

Edited by DogsAndTheMob
  • Like 1