245 Dogs & Cats Killed in Animal Shelters Every Day. (Warning Some People May Find This Distressing).

Deeds

Read that article twice and still can’t see where the daily calculation of healthy cats and dogs killed fits any of the other numbers mentioned, I assume it’s from an entirely unrelated but not referenced source? Needs a ref really because it doesn’t stack up as written. Even mentions ‘such low adoption rates’ in one bit without giving a rate then quotes 92% for a named shelter.
(And it really lost me when it said it’s ‘safer’ not to buy from a breeder as illegal puppy farms have been known to neglect dogs. News flash ‘breeder’ and ‘illegal puppy farm’ are not equivalent terms. Not to mention that plenty of rescue groups have neglected dogs. Whether the source of your dog is a breeder or a shelter, the same due diligence has to be done .)

Edited by Diva
  • Like 2

I agree with @Diva... no explanation where they got that figure from... but I'd tip that it probably comes from annual reports from RSPCA, etc, who don't always have the best track record in that area... *sigh*

264 x 365 = 96,360 if you want to extrapolate an annual figure from that number...

T.

• Like 2

Certain rescue centres  it pays to  inflate or make up numbers ,   Have 150 kennels , fill  100 with boarding kennels   usually full  at $35 a night , other 50 keep strays and unwanted , get mainly animal loving volunteers to  do  majority of the work for free , sell  the strays and unwanted for $500 -$600  collect money from councils and govt and little old ladies who leave them there fortunes  what they can't sell there resident vet gives the needle  turns into a very very lucrative buisness  , pays them to inflate figures , after all  there not going to say were on top of the poblem we don't need the grants are they , , being  a charity    there not going to want to change things and pay tax on the massive money that comes from the  volunteer run  boarding kennels