Proud moment

I wanted to share how proud I am of my girl and give others hope that are dealing dogs with difficult behaviours.

Cassie is almost 4 years old, had a bit of a rough start, no exposure to humans in her first few weeks of life and although she wasn’t a Covid puppy she did mature through Covid which left her quite fearful of unfamiliar people and when she was around 10 weeks old she was attacked by another kelpie, that one incident set her up to become dog reactive.

Yesterday for the first time ever I took her into my younger daughters school to do pick up (wasn’t planned) she was extremely nervous but got up the courage to ask two separate people for a pat some thing she would have never done even 12 months ago, I never thought we would reach this moment, it’s been a long process but we are seeing some huge milestones, we have perfected recall so well I have called her off chasing wild rabbits and slowly I am exposing her to more public situations, I hope one day most of her fears will be gone.

Anyone with a difficult dog don’t give up hope, put in the time and effort and you will see results, work within your dogs time frame, set realistic goals and don’t force your dog to do anything beyond their capabilities.

932CB8E2-F70E-41CF-AD38-3244DCF0814A.thumb.jpeg.9ed86aeba292294cf7146c2eb4a51b03.jpeg

• Like 11

She is very beautiful.  Sadly her eyes are like those of my foster dog, Strawby, who came from a puppy farm at the age of 11.  Whether she was there all her life, I do not know, but she has been with me for nearly 5 months now, and only because I live with her can I see any improvement.  It breaks my heart daily to see her wildly scramble to her feet to rush out the back door when she hears me walking down the hallway.  At least now, she doesn’t go tearing downstairs, but stops on the deck to look back at me.  I talk to her, tell her how beautiful she is and give her treats (she runs away again so I have to put them on the floor) and eventually she will come inside, just inside the door, ready to bolt all over again.  

You have obviously worked wonders with Cassie and I hope that one day both she and Strawby will be free of their demons. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...